Cost vs. Usefulness of Laser Jammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CollinsBJ911

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Laser jammers are a significant investment but do obviously provide a higher level of protection than a radar detector that is essentially useless against laser. I had an interesting conversation with my brother who happens to be a state trooper. He claims that laser jammers only limit the distance that he can capture a speed (not sure I believe this statement). Furthermore he suggested that bright colored cars such as white with little or no vertical surfaces (e.g. corvette) or license plate missing on the front makes it extremely difficult to capture a speed. His solution... capture the speed of a car traveling in the same direction behind or in front of the offender to establish a.... He is going at least xxx mph.

With all this in mind, convince me that laser jammers are still worth their cost. I'm sure there are many reasons that justify the cost but just curious what types of experiences you are all having running jammers. Has anyone received a ticket at the actual speed they were going with jammers operating?

Not trying to cause an argument, just would like real life examples... Facts and data to prove that laser jammers are indeed worth their cost and not just something to have for the cool factor.

Thanks!

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Can I convince you to not speak to your brother about this subject?...

In short, yes they are worth the investment depending on the amount on driving that driver does and what is used around them. Even one ticket will cover the cost of a front setup.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
CA54E8CE-BE27-4FB3-BDE3-72EE18CDA7B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Ohioluck

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
As a 20 year old driving a sports car, one ticket will destroy my insurance rates. I don't want to have to sell my car because I can't afford a spike in a couple hundred dollars a month. I also live in a state that uses a lot of laser for enforcement. So laser jammers are essential for me and 100% worth the investment. I've already had 2 saves in the past 8 months of ownership. However, laser jammers may not be a worthy investment for other people. It depends on a lot of variables.

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I don't run jammers because I don't see LIDAR where I normally drive.

For some people they are an excellent value. All depends on how and where you drive.

He claims that laser jammers only limit the distance that he can capture a speed (not sure I believe this statement)
This certainly CAN be true.

His solution... capture the speed of a car traveling in the same direction behind or in front of the offender to establish a.... He is going at least xxx mph.
This sounds a bit sketchy. But in some states a mere "visual estimate" will suffice, so I guess the speed of a nearby car could be slightly more scientific. Depending on the state it might be easier to defend the ticket in court if a different car was clocked than the one that was cited. But of course most people don't fight the ticket so I'm sure he usually gets away with it regardless.

wayne77

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Laser jammers are a significant investment but do obviously provide a higher level of protection than a radar detector that is essentially useless against laser. I had an interesting conversation with my brother who happens to be a state trooper. He claims that laser jammers only limit the distance that he can capture a speed (not sure I believe this statement). Furthermore he suggested that bright colored cars such as white with little or no vertical surfaces (e.g. corvette) or license plate missing on the front makes it extremely difficult to capture a speed. His solution... capture the speed of a car traveling in the same direction behind or in front of the offender to establish a.... He is going at least xxx mph.

With all this in mind, convince me that laser jammers are still worth their cost. I'm sure there are many reasons that justify the cost but just curious what types of experiences you are all having running jammers. Has anyone received a ticket at the actual speed they were going with jammers operating?

Not trying to cause an argument, just would like real life examples... Facts and data to prove that laser jammers are indeed worth their cost and not just something to have for the cool factor.

Thanks!

Honestly, I have an opinion and some advice but I feel this information is going back to a State Trooper. No offense but no, jammers aren't worth it and they do not work. Ever.

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have the perfect instance of this happening to me actually.

Was blazing down the highway. LEO with a PL3 shoots me going about 95 in a 70. Stabbed my brakes and got to PSL and killed the jammers in less than two seconds. (My car is tiny so it fits his analogy of a Corvette). 3 seconds later, I get hit again by the same LEO. I'm sure he panned to the car next to me to get an "estimate" but then again, the best he can give you a ticket for is what your neighbor is doing + "LEO's visual estimate". And those get tossed out or plead down in court relatively easily.

The reason I bought jammers was my first speeding ticket cost me $850 to keep off my record. My second cost alot of convincing and $150. Not to mention the money I saved in insurance hikes at 18. My first premium cost me $360 a month for any car I tried getting a quote for. And that was the cheapest I could find with minimum liability coverages with a no name insurance company.

I haven't seen anyone get pulled over with jammers because they just clocked the person next to them. Usually, LEOs would just leave you be seeing you've slowed down, they'd have a hard time defending themselves in court, and they'd much prefer wait another 5-10 minutes for an easier catch. There's very few of us out there using jammers so the harder we make their job with us, the more likely they're gonna wait for the next fish in the stream.

I won't deny there are other ways to clock your speed but if you drive alot (I drive around 30k miles a year) in an area that uses laser enough for you to get a couple tickets over the span of 3 years that would make jammers worth it. Especially if you don't face Dragoneye guns. You can find a used or refurbished set of TMGs for $400 per side or so and that's plenty.

If you travel alot, another thing to consider is getting a ticket out of state means lawyers or more time and money going to court.

We all have different reasons but we all have the same goal. Less tickets, less surprise expenses, less time wasted with LEOs and Courts.

Also, LEOs like to say "just slow down".
A) That causes a speed differential between lanes and that causes traffic and accidents
B) Speed traps do exist
C) Increased speed doesn't lead to more accidents. And sometimes we all need to get somewhere in a hurry 😉
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, I have an opinion and some advice but I feel this information is going back to a State Trooper. No offense but no, jammers aren't worth it and they do not work. Ever.
He's already here. That means he can see anything in general access. And it's general access for a reason, because you can find the information outside of this forum really easily.

@CollinsBJ911 another thing that makes jammers useful is generally, most law enforcement don't know how jammers work and if they're being jammed. Our job is to be responsible, not be reckless, and what they don't know doesn't hurt them. We are actively against being reckless whether its driving, jamming for longer than nessacary, taunting, etc. And the less they know about jammers, the less likely they are to ban them or even educate others and get us pulled over more often like they do in some parts in Virginia. It's extremely hostile there because VSP knows how to detect radar detectors and some have even been trained to catch people with jammers. Which doesn't stop us from jamming them, but it means our tactics get exponentially more complex, we have to hide the heads more, etc.

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Why are you guys shilling for these manufacturers? Everyone knows jammers don't work. It's just jewelry the rich cats add to their Porsches and Ferraris for the dick measuring contest.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Why are you guys shilling for these manufacturers? Everyone knows jammers don't work. It's just jewelry the rich cats add to their Porsches and Ferraris for the dick measuring contest.

Seconded. Tell your brother that he's absolutely right and jammers don't really work well but we all use them anyway because we get hooked on their extraordinary accuracy as parking sensors.

XDA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I do not have jammers.
Out of curiosity I have gone to the LIDAR sites and have seen that at least one, the DragonEye, advertises "Advanced anti-jamming." I'd like to hear y'all's comments.

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
I do not have jammers.
Out of curiosity I have gone to the LIDAR sites and have seen that at least one, the DragonEye, advertises "Advanced anti-jamming." I'd like to hear y'all's comments.
It's able to get a speed whether or not you have jammers. If you don't get a speed with it, probably user error. Even if you have a different gun, jammers often don't work and are unreliable. Jammers all well and good for someone with a lot of money to burn, but I wouldn't recommend them.

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I do not have jammers.
Dragoneye has advanced anti-jamming? Learn something new everyday, I guess

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm going to just leave this here as a reminder:

Chapter VI: User conduct outside RDF

(1) Your conduct outside RDF usually has no effect on your status on RDF. However, exceptions apply for those who test with law enforcement or with entities and individuals we at RDF at our sole discretion consider a threat to this community and hobby. Furthermore, at RDF's sole discretion, we may restrict a user from participating on this forum for any other activity outside RDF we consider to be a threat.

Please don't test or talk about countermeasures with Law Enforcement.

And, although I think this thread may get even more entertaining, I think it's gone as far as it can in being useful to the community. For those interested, searching the forums will give you all the answers you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
X man