Would You Rather: Front DSP or Rearview Mount V1?

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Both the R7 & V1G2 are superior in range and filtering to the DSP, and unless you have a rear NR they are both ahead on situational awareness.
Another factor not yet mentioned here is the inherent disadvantage of a low mounted DSP vs a high mounted WS RD. When driving on highways with a concrete median barrier I've observed reduced front detection range, which will affect any low mounted remote RD.
I've had several alarmingly short encounters with C/O on concrete barrier highways, only to watch my rear DSP, mounted high on the rear parcel shelf hold the signal for 20 or 30 seconds or more than a minute on a straight road. This effect is worse in the passing lane and greatly lessened in the slow lane further from the barrier.
That is a GREAT point! The Freeways here are heavily barriered which presumably adds interference.

I think my mind is made up. Im going to install the TX in the front for a 5head setup, and sell the DSP and V1G1 to get a V1G2 or R7. With nice mounting above the RearView mirror it seems as good as concealed without the hassle of behind bumper mounting

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That is a GREAT point! The Freeways here are heavily barriered which presumably adds interference.

I think my mind is made up. Im going to install the TX in the front for a 5head setup, and sell the DSP and V1G1 to get a V1G2 or R7. With nice mounting above the RearView mirror it seems as good as concealed without the hassle of behind bumper mounting
In your situation that's what I'd do. Good luck and safe driving.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
FYI, a properly installed front DSP will give you decent warning of the front facing entrance ramp trap. You're picking it up from the front. If you detect it from the rear you're probably toast because you got selective IO'd. Also, it's my understanding that mixing the NR-O for a rear with NRDSP for the front unit will give less than stellar arrow performance. Adding the rear is primarily for the arrows. The front unit will pick up a bear sneaking up from behind.

With the rest of this discussion I agree with the others suggesting the G2. It's pretty great without the app but JBV1 really takes it to a new level. G2/ALP is just about the best you can do if not facing MRCD.
G2 is more sensitive than NRDSP but usually not significantly. Off axis is considerably better with G2.
I expect you'll enjoy the G2.

Last edited:

thanks

for all the fish
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Why not have the best of both worlds? I keep my Gen 2 over my RVM and installed my front DSP for MRCD when it's needed.
Agree!
Even though my V1G2 rarely gets taken down, when it does the NRDSP F/R keeps me safe. When parking in unknown cities or questionable areas or Onterrible , I pull the V1 down. If just while parking, I may not bother putting it back up, until a longer trip, so the NR is the primary RD then.
Also, when I know I'm in MRCD, speedcam, and redlight cam areas, the NR will be on along with the V1.

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Agree!
Even though my V1G2 rarely gets taken down, when it does the NRDSP F/R keeps me safe. When parking in unknown cities or questionable areas or Onterrible , I pull the V1 down. If just while parking, I may not bother putting it back up, until a longer trip, so the NR is the primary RD then.
Also, when I know I'm in MRCD, speedcam, and redlight cam areas, the NR will be on along with the V1.
Since CA is basically Laser and Ka only I think Im in an easier situation, however I am trying to overcome my tendency to ignoring warnings from my noisey V1G1. When I moved to California I did not tune the settings of my RD very well and I got too accustomed to ignoring warnings from BSMs etc... Now that I’m into a new car and more familiar with the area I’m ready to invest in a system that I can trust, and so false positives are a huge deal for me not to mention laser protection period

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
Since CA is basically Laser and Ka only I think Im in an easier situation, however I am trying to overcome my tendency to ignoring warnings from my noisey V1G1. When I moved to California I did not tune the settings of my RD very well and I got too accustomed to ignoring warnings from BSMs etc... Now that I’m into a new car and more familiar with the area I’m ready to invest in a system that I can trust, and so false positives are a huge deal for me not to mention laser protection period
THEIA

Get the V1G2 / JBV1 now
Or
R7 for complete all in one now.

Benzr

Last edited:

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes SIR!

want to buy my DSP :giggity:
Hmmm maybe .. 2 DSP 's might be the answer.

I just HATE having to remove my back bumper and back hatch area panels to change it. NR-O

Lemme think about it.

If not, when you get to 50 RELEVANT posts you get access to our personal buy/sell classifieds.

And since we all are Enthusiasts and Loooove our babies they are usually in mint condition, complete with closeups 🤑🤑👍👍😎😎

Benzr

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hklevi