Would You Rather: Front DSP or Rearview Mount V1?

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Im faced with this question as I currently have a V1 but my new car came with NRDSP system (uninstalled)

Should I go ahead and install it in the front bumper/grill and forfeit rear radar in favor of improved metrics and stealth? Or keep the V1 in the cabin?

Asssume for right now that adding a rear DSP isnt an option but my heart is pulling me that way!
Post automatically merged:

I have a 4head Rx ALP and I will be adding a front Tx with HW4 if it matters in your advice

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If its a V1G2 - then yes. If its the old V1, then I would say go with the NRDSP, sell the V1 and put that money towards a rear DSP ;)

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have and had.. and still have.....
I bought into two NRDSPs, and with ALPs setup. I found better to have interior with NRDSP vs in the grill. This is after running two systems, in a wanna-be Turbo Hot hatch capable of 140+ @Kennyc56 ....
I got within a good 10secs in Traffic vs less traffic.... I have a V1G2 and R7. If that R7, I did get a good up to similar to around that corner/ off axis.
I will say, NRDSP is my daily driver in my Pickup vs the V1G2 in my hot hatch.... happy on the two.... Like the NRDSP and will support as it is near the R3, and better than a DFR series, which should set the minimum off any protection vs R7/V1G2... less than a select time of disappointment.

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@thanks is another member who has experience with both.
I also have both and often run them together. The V1G2 almost always alerts first. On a rare occasion the NRDSP will alert first. I chalk that up to microwave properties and the difference in mount height. Either offer excellent protection. You'll want to add a rear NRDSP if you go that route. It is really nice to have the system always there if I forget to grab the V1.

Disclaimer: It is ill-advised to run multiple RDs together. I run the risk with this particular setup having never observed any interference or detrimental effects. But that is anecdotal.

Last edited:

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have and had.. and still have.....
I bought into two NRDSPs, and with ALPs setup. I found better to have interior with NRDSP vs in the grill. This is after running two systems, in a wanna-be Turbo Hot hatch capable of 140+ @Kennyc56 ....
I got within a good 10secs in Traffic vs less traffic.... I have a V1G2 and R7. If that R7, I did get a good up to similar to around that corner/ off axis.
I will say, NRDSP is my daily driver in my Pickup vs the V1G2 in my hot hatch.... happy on the two.... Like the NRDSP and will support as it is near the R3, and better than a DFR series, which should set the minimum off any protection vs R7/V1G2... less than a select time of disappointment.
Translated:

NRDSP = R3 but with ARROWS !!
V1G2/R7 = MORE SENSITIVITY/ARROWS

DFR7 = Bare Min of coverage for your Auto

Benzr

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Translated:

NRDSP = R3 but with ARROWS !!
V1G2/R7 = MORE SENSITIVITY/ARROWS

DFR7 = Bare Min of coverage for your Auto

Benzr

Only thought, the DFR7/6 and DFR9/8 are two different units... from testing. I did and DRF8 and 9, plus a DFR 7 and act like different units on detection and being detected.

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
Only thought, the DFR7/6 and DFR9/8 are two different units... from testing. I did and DRF8 and 9, plus a DFR 7 and act like different units on detection and being detected.
ACTUALLY my friend you are CORRECT and Thank you for clarifying yhat πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜Ž

After DFR7 all other units came out so quickly,
I just kinda overlooked them.

Admittedly, I know NOTHING about the DFR8 and 9.

I will leave that up to you !! πŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸŽƒπŸŽƒ

So please ... enlighten BOTH of us. πŸŽƒπŸŽƒ
Again i know nothing as to their features/performance.

Thanks 😎😎

Benzr

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Why not have the best of both worlds? I keep my Gen 2 over my RVM and installed my front DSP for MRCD when it's needed.
In the end I guess it always comes down to money. I decided to add a front middle TX sensor instead of another rear DSP. I realize this is leaving me exposed to rear radar and I have encountered posted LEOs on entrance ramps shooting downhill in the past so I’m a bit nervous (unsure if that’s radar or laser tho)

So without significantply investing more funds, I can sell the DSP and V1G1 and get a V1G2 or R7 or some other WS mount system to handle front and rear radar at the expense of stealth....or i can install the DSP, sell the V1 until I have more funds for a rear DSP, but of course there is the looming theia option.

would,love to ditch the DSP and v1 now and go RCM but that’s way too steep for me right now

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
Why not have the best of both worlds? I keep my Gen 2 over my RVM and installed my front DSP for MRCD when it's needed.
How I roll 😎😎

I just installed a kill switch ONLY to kill DSP Antennaes !! and a Profile C for ONLY
RUNNING V1G2 or R7. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜πŸ˜

And ALSO A TOTAL KILL SWITCH IF ROADSIDE DISCOs.

I am WAAAAAAAY TO ADDICTED to this sh!t !!

πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€

Benzr

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
How I roll 😎😎

I just installed a kill switch ONLY to kill DSP Antennaes !! and a Profile C for ONLY
RUNNING V1G2 or R7. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜πŸ˜

And ALSO A TOTAL KILL SWITCH IF ROADSIDE DISCOs.

I am WAAAAAAAY TO ADDICTED to this sh!t !!

πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€

Benzr
Well the first step is admitting that you have a problem... I can quit whenever I want so no meetings for me just yet.

Please elaborate on your kill switch. For NRDSP only or the entire ALP system?

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Here's my tip on the rear NR antenna option... If you can find a "good" used NR-O (original Netradar) it will be quite a bit cheaper than the DSP. I use a NR-O for the rear and it almost never falses, as in I can't recall the last time, unlike the DSP. I run it in both K and Ka Wide so it misses nothing real, and with K filter and Traffic filter On. The NR-O gives plenty or range for the rear, is quiet even if set to scan the entire spectrum so you won't miss anything if the DSP is segmented and your paranoid about out of tune guns, and gives arrows for awareness.

As I have said before, the NRDSP on the hw4 CPU offers options to make it incredibly quiet on BSM's but still offer great protection that doesn't totally block anything like K Block does with the Unidens.

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
Well the first step is admitting that you have a problem... I can quit whenever I want so no meetings for me just yet.

Please elaborate on your kill switch. For NRDSP only or the entire ALP system?
One switch to kill yhe RG3 units power
.... to run my R7 or V1G2/JBV1 w/o interference

... AND one OTHER switch to turn off the ALPs, hence NRDSP

... AND yet another yo kill ONLY R7 and V1G2
Separately. πŸ˜πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜πŸ‘

I was bored Today. ... sigh.

Searched for RE deals all last week.

After Storm created chaos so far this week and power is still out in most of my areas affecting traffic/ traffic lights / tempers / erratic behavior,
I kinda took the day or next two off. πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜ΏπŸ˜ΏπŸ€“πŸ€“

Went to "rescue" my Mom and sitting in her family room with No Power. And discovered her crownVic is decimated on the rear, rear window and windows smashed in aw top and rear quarter panels severely damaged. TOTALLED for sure. Now i gotta search for a car too ... 😐😐. ... sigh.
I AM THE GOOD SON. i stayed located in same City to make sure they were taken care of. Dad passed on couple yrs ago so I AM GLAD I STAYED, even though more lucrative opportunities exist elsewhere.
She is old and I don't want her terrified, so here i sit. I might break into garage and get the generator going, but alas it wont run long, is potentially Carbon Monoxide dangerous even running outside. Besides all i will get is over the air TV as power, internet, fiber, and phone taken out by trees down.

So YEAH i spent all day playing with Kill Switches. 😏😏😜😜

Glad i had my tools in the jeep πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜Ž

Had them there for working on the speedboat.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒ and hadn't put them up.

Benzr

Here's my tip on the rear NR antenna option... If you can find a "good" used NR-O (original Netradar) it will be quite a bit cheaper than the DSP. I use a NR-O for the rear and it almost never falses, as in I can't recall the last time, unlike the DSP. I run it in both K and Ka Wide so it misses nothing real, and with K filter and Traffic filter On. The NR-O gives plenty or range for the rear, is quiet even if set to scan the entire spectrum so you won't miss anything if the DSP is segmented and your paranoid about out of tune guns, and gives arrows for awareness.

As I have said before, the NRDSP on the hw4 CPU offers options to make it incredibly quiet on BSM's but still offer great protection that doesn't totally block anything like K Block does with the Unidens.
Yes yes yes EXACT SAME SETUP

DSP FRONT ONLY
NR-Orig REAR

V1G2 cause .... IT's just plain [email protected] !!
R7 cause .... ibid .... see above ^^^^

Gotta admit ... I absolutely LOOOOVE just getting in and going into high crime areas with a modicum of safety 😎😎😎😎😎😎
NR REMOTE !!

Benzr

Last edited:

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

While I appreciate exactly what you guys are suggesting, its not quite the question I was asking. I already have the DSP, but Im not ready to stomach the price to add rear radar yet. So my option is to sell the DSP and get a standalone WS mount that will offer front and rear radar in one, or just stick with the front DSP and integrate it with my ALP system.

I just added TX to the front, and I put a priority on Laser over rear radar, but Im wondering if there is a superior option for full coverage without much more $$ to shell out.

If i do the front, I can always add the rear NR-O in the future but running everything at once would be preferred (like when i add TX to the rear)

midd

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
First and First, the Nexus of the Universe
Honestly, rear DSP is probably overkill. The NR-O does a sufficient job for a rear antenna. I have one if you're interested.

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Honestly, rear DSP is probably overkill. The NR-O does a sufficient job for a rear antenna. I have one if you're interested.
Yea I agree rear DSP is overkill...but is front DSP alone worse than say an R7 or V1G2 if you dont have a rear ALP antennae??

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
While I appreciate exactly what you guys are suggesting, its not quite the question I was asking. I already have the DSP, but Im not ready to stomach the price to add rear radar yet. So my option is to sell the DSP and get a standalone WS mount that will offer front and rear radar in one, or just stick with the front DSP and integrate it with my ALP system.

I just added TX to the front, and I put a priority on Laser over rear radar, but Im wondering if there is a superior option for full coverage without much more $$ to shell out.

If i do the front, I can always add the rear NR-O in the future but running everything at once would be preferred (like when i add TX to the rear)
Probably you could get a NR-O for about the same $$$ invested as a V1G2 after the sale of the DSP. I think a DSP used might bring about $350 +/- and a NR-O should be well under $200. A new V1 out the door is pushing $550. I believe the cost to be about the same. You will get the best results running an app on both but it's not necessary.

I personally love my Netradar, it's currently my favorite detector setup that I own. However... I get why you have this dilemma. I also run a variety of windshield units.

I think probably for most people a windshield detector is more versatile as it's not tied to one vehicle, but it is much more prone to theft.

So if I had to flip a coin, even though I don't own a V1, my choice for you would be... Sell the DSP and get a V1G2 (or R7 but I know that wasn't in your option) if you don't need a remote system. Run each system (ALP and detector) standalone for simplicity. Run an Android device to add JBV1 to the V1 for lockouts, filter options, and crowd source alerts. It will cost you a little more money but give you more options. You can always sell and upgrade to something else if wanted in the future.

Edit add --- Not having a rear antenna is not the end of the world, most of us have done it just fine for decades.

Last edited:

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I personally love my Netradar, it's currently my favorite detector setup that I own. However... I get why you have this dilemma. I also run a variety of windshield units.
Yeaaa I really want to run the DSP but Im heavily leaning toward rear radar CM because ive seen some rear shots from on-ramps.

My thinking right now is to add the TX front and rear and run a V1G2 or R7 until theia comes out. If its the beez kneez then sell the WS RD and get that, or if its not, then plunge for integrated NRDSP + NR-O

This will same me a lot of installation headache in the near term as well since i wont have to remove any bumper covers to hide the antennas...

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yea I agree rear DSP is overkill...but is front DSP alone worse than say an R7 or V1G2 if you dont have a rear ALP antennae??
Both the R7 & V1G2 are superior in range and filtering to the DSP, and unless you have a rear NR they are both ahead on situational awareness.
Another factor not yet mentioned here is the inherent disadvantage of a low mounted DSP vs a high mounted WS RD. When driving on highways with a concrete median barrier I've observed reduced front detection range, which will affect any low mounted remote RD.
I've had several alarmingly short encounters with C/O on concrete barrier highways, only to watch my rear DSP, mounted high on the rear parcel shelf hold the signal for 20 or 30 seconds or more than a minute on a straight road. This effect is worse in the passing lane and greatly lessened in the slow lane further from the barrier.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
X man