How important is it to protect against rear shots?

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great question. I'll answer it confusingly in both ways. I ante'd up and installed 2RX/1TX rear ALPs to compliment the fronts on one car. On the other car I've had the two rear TMG heads sitting around since I installed the fronts over a year ago. So lucky so far...but I'm gonna put'em on.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Lidar isn't used around here....but I'd eventually like to get jammers for when I travel.

So are rear heads really necessary in most situations? Or will fronts only suffice?

Thanks
Well, Lidar is sporadically used in our state. Granted, it's a rarity, but I've seen it. 2 of the 5 times I've seen it, it was Troopers parked on an entrance ramp, so it was back shots.
That's why I decided to bite the bullet and get rear protection also.

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've seen LEOs tagging both Front & Rear with LADAR. That's why I have installed jammers on both end of m car.
It all comes down to what you're seeing in your area and what your hearing reported in areas that you my want to travel to/through and then deciding what works best for you.

If you decide to not install rear jammers, make sure that you're using other countermeasures like Waze and/or JBV1 to hopefully sniff out where possible rear shooting LEOs are.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It is very much area dependant, in most areas front shots are way more common, however states like GA rear is very common... Around me it's 90% front shots and one place I have seen rear it was pretty obvious to me well before I hit the kill zone, though it was an unmarked charger so those that didn't recognize it would get roasted (and that was a lot of folks). Other parts of my state there occasional pockets of it but generally it's all front shots.

Since dragoneye isn't terribly common out there in most areas, and rear shots aren't super common in most areas I generally only run one or two RX heads on the back... But again it does depend on where you travel....

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I rarely see lidar myself. Maybe 2-3 times per year on average.

Consider this though; all it takes for a rear shot to ruin your day is for an LEO to decide to take some rear shots.
They don't need extra equipment, etc.

infiniti

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Lidar isn't used around here....but I'd eventually like to get jammers for when I travel.

So are rear heads really necessary in most situations? Or will fronts only suffice?

Thanks
In ohio, New York upstate, PA, virginia, WV, NC and SC, I've had one rear shot in 10 years. 50 to 100 front shots, mostly in ohio and NC. If you can afford it, great. Otherwise, build your system for what you will encounter where you drive... That may be front only or none.

Last edited:

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Overall, I would say laser is much more used on the front of cars perhaps only because it is much easier for a LEO to set up like this. However, where I live, I have seen LEO's shooting radar from behind. So, for me, I feel better with jammers on the rear too. If they would use radar from the rear, why not use laser like that too?

Ramsjam12

Corgi Lovers
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I think the statistics are 90/10 so it’s not common but I’ve been hit one time in the rear but wasn’t speeding. I would get the protection because one day you’ll be that 10% statistic and be paying for it with your wallet.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great question. I'll answer it confusingly in both ways. I ante'd up and installed 2RX/1TX rear ALPs to compliment the fronts on one car. On the other car I've had the two rear TMG heads sitting around since I installed the fronts over a year ago. So lucky so far...but I'm gonna put'em on.
EXACTLY ehat i was going to recommend 👍👍

If NOT CANADA/FL/GA ... then TMGs on Rear are ok. TMGs will control/display on JBV1 !! Better than nothing on the rears ...

Just sayin'

Benzr

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's not important, till you get shot in the @ss! I started out with just the front heads but it kept bugging me till I got rear coverage as well. I might not ever need it, but I feel better knowing I have the rear covered as well!

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In ohio, New York upstate, PA, virginia, WV, NC and SC, I've had one test shot in 10 years. 50 to 100 front shots, mostly in ohio and NC. If you can afford it, great. Otherwise, build your system for what you will encounter where you drive... That may be front only or none.
NYS Troopers are specifically taught that they should not be shooting Lidar or even radar, when stationary from behind. Its a safety issue, they don't want the troopers to be chasing down speeders, they feel it is safer not to chase after a vehicle at higher speeds than the vehicle being ticketed and its easier to identify the target vehicle and not lose sight of them to confuse with another vehicle.

Some LEOs will still do it, but I have only been hit once from behind here in NY since I have had jammer for 15 years or so - that I know of anyway, for more than 1/2 of that time I had no rear protection, so not really sure - but its rare here.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I haven't been shot in the ass with Lidar, well except during testing, but I have been violated several times by stationary radar from on ramps and such. I've also seen LEO shooting Lidar where they easily could be shooting people in the ass. Because of that I feel safer running rear heads.

As some others have mentioned, it depends a lot on your area and the local tactics. In some states/provinces it's pretty much mandatory to have rear protection.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah I guess it comes down to it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Front/rear shots definitely vary by the area. Some places are mostly front, others are mostly rear, others are more split. Around here it's been about 50/50 for me.

For that reason it may be tough to give a universal answer of whether or not you truly need rear jammers.

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The "known standard" for our area is front shots and I have had plenty, but I have had the rear shot when I least expect it about 6 or 7 times now so for us it makes sense to have both.

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The only drawback to rear heads is that it's tough to completely conceal them and have them still work. What does the officer see if he pulls you over? He's staring right at the rear tag. Some of those guys are observant and you could get some questions if you're in a denied area. This was the only reason I hesitated to put them on. I live in two states where they're banned.

Q ship

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I got 2 tickets from photo lidar both shot in the rear with 2 different vehicles. Both were in OH in Toledo. One was on I 75 and the other on 475. I think I still have one copy that has the photo and distance. Both included a link to a video clip of the shots being taken. It was from an elevated position similar to an on ramp.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The only drawback to rear heads is that it's tough to completely conceal them and have them still work. What does the officer see if he pulls you over? He's staring right at the rear tag. Some of those guys are observant and you could get some questions if you're in a denied area. This was the only reason I hesitated to put them on. I live in two states where they're banned.
That's a very good point! @VariableWave and I still haven't hidden my rear heads. I drive in "Hellginia" more than enough for this to end up being a problem! So far I've been lucky at keeping Va. cops from getting close enough to see them, but with my luck it's only a matter of time!

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's a very good point! @VariableWave and I still haven't hidden my rear heads. I drive in "Hellginia" more than enough for this to end up being a problem! So far I've been lucky at keeping Va. cops from getting close enough to see them, but with my luck it's only a matter of time!
Well..... we did with said layout as per the forum with perspecx....we did a special design after a few good tests..... then after more testing with all... (keeping limited in section)... nothing against forum, as we came across more than thought issues with the Boss302. after special imagery and then @PY004 saw what we did with things.... we kept it open. My DESL breaks things, as it should. I came up with a design formula on that Boss which can work with others. We spent, idk, 20hrs to dial in and break things on that system which assisted others on all testing we have done.

Since then, we left for future DEs, as other's were no issues with @Kennyc56 area.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigbalu