R3 isn't pinging on CHP!

HelixFish

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey all, R3 owner here with some issues. I've noticed over the last 3-4 months that my R3 isn't pinging on CHP that seem to be obviously using some kind of SMD (speed measuring device). I'm using the generally approved California settings. This is happening with both my R3's so I don't think it's a defect or anything, though both are running the same (current) firmware they were purchased 2-3 years apart. Is anyone aware of any new SMD's that CHP are using? This is usually in the section of 280 between San Bruno and 92 in the Bay Area. I keep hoping I'll have sufficient time to drive back and park and reset my R3 to see if it will ping, but I haven't had the time to do this yet. One last thing: this morning I was driving north on 280 and there was a CHP Ford Explorer in a known speed trap location (just south of the San Bruno exits). It didn't set off my R3, as usual. I had slowed down because I know the speed trap but an Audi S5 sportback I was driving with didn't slow and I watched the CHP pull out and pull them over. Is the R3 so bad at laser that it would utterly fail to pick it up when I'm so close? Thoughts?

Z51VetteFan

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’ve never had the R3 pickup laser, unless it’s falsing. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HelixFish

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize that the R3 was so horrible at this. I get occasional laser warnings though... Huh. My OLD V1 was super good at picking up laser, why is the R3 so bad at it? Surely the tech isn't difficult at this point.

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize that the R3 was so horrible at this. I get occasional laser warnings though... Huh. My OLD V1 was super good at picking up laser, why is the R3 so bad at it? Surely the tech isn't difficult at this point.
Radar detectors are not great at picking up laser as the beam is super small and generally aimed at your lights or grill. Even if they do pickup laser if officer is targeting you, the officer has your speed already and the R3 is just alerting, not protecting you from a ticket.

Only laser jammers can protect you from getting a ticket a great majority of the time.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Much like Radar there is a lot of sources of false lidar these days, including laser cruise control and laser collision avoidance as well as internal car gesture controls and cell phone or based sensors, the old V1s false a lot of laser these days, so it comes down to filtering, and not having it be too sensitive that it triggers to every little thing. Even if the r series does catch laser it's way too late for you as you are already hit and measured by the time it goes off. You would want something like ALP for laser protection as that will buy you time to slow down. Waze can also help with laser traps as they are always stationary.

Wolfplace

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
I own & have used the Max360, R1, R3 & R7 along with ALP 3 head & am in No CA albeit with very little lidar close to home but it is used in Santa Rosa & Sac

In the last 5 or 6 years I have had probably less than 10 lidar hits & 2 or 3 locally that
ALP caught.
NONE AS IN NOT ONE OF THE WINDSHIELD MOUNT DETECTORS ALERTED
Also,,, I do have a ProLite+ (thank you @Jaguar )for personal testing & with the detector mounted at the top of the windshield I can make the detectors go off if I point the ProLite directly at them but pointing at any area that would normally be a target (headlights, grill, license plate etc) alerts are few & far between
Bottom line I would suggest you do not rely on the detector to tell you anything but you are about to have a somewhat unfriendly visit at your window,,,,,,,, :)

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yup, the V1 was great at picking up legit laser as well as random car tail lights.

We call them "ticket notifiers". Beep! Got a ticket.

Even if you use the ALP for detection-ONLY, it will work far, far better than any windshield detector, and if you get the HiFi system it'll tell you (speak!) what gun you're being hit with. It's one of my favorite features.

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You need lidar protection. TMG or ALP are the only ones you should be going with

CTMan

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’ve never had the R3 pickup laser, unless it’s falsing. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seriously? Wow definitely not like mine did(using an R7 now). It had a few false’s, not many and it picked up legit laser when it was there.

Now that’s not to say it would have saved me without it hitting a car out front first but it had no issues picking it up when it was there.

Of course jammers are way better but the R3 wasn’t useless when I wasn’t the target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HelixFish

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
In my experience with laser it depends on location. On the highway there are long straight shots so little reflection/diffraction so no detection. But all of you are neglecting the fact that laser also reflects/refracts off anything else around you unless the cop is a pro and ONLY lights up your car. In tighter, winding roads my R3 has alerted me about a block ahead of a dual motorcycle laser speed trap (Ralston from 92 to El Camino Real). Gave me enough time to slow and yep, there they were. Because of the traffic level there were lots of laser reflections (many cars bouncing the beams all over the place), this allowed the alert. I wouldn't bank on the same situation on the highway though. Laser is not special, it bounces just like any other light source, thats how the laser speed guns work.

tjsadler

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I would add that CHP are allowed to issue tickets based on visual speed estimation so they don't always use radar or lidar. What I've seen most often in my area is CHP set up in a concealed spot using a scope or binoculars looking for people with a cell phone in their hand instead of checking speed directly. I love to see that as idiots with cell phones are a way bigger safety issue than someone going 10-15 mph over the limit. It's been my experience in this state that anything less than 10mph over is completely ignored on the open highways. There are enough people doing 20-30 over that they concentrate on them. I've had a variety of performance cars (STi, Evo X, Focus ST) and several regular cars and SUV's and I drive around 30-50k miles a year and haven't been pulled over once for speeding. Hopefully that streak continues with my new R3!

Last edited:

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
CHP in that area still primarily uses those full sized TruSpeed guns which are notorious. They have a thin tall rectangular beam which basically means if they are shooting a headlight you have zero chance of catching scatter with a center mounted detector.

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'll second this!!! My V1G1 is awesome at picking up laser well ahead of a direct hit. It would truly pick up laser scatter. Would I trust it 100%? No! But far better than anything else on the market.
Post automatically merged:

There is a difference between the LIDAR units with the R3. My R3 failed on EVERY laser encounter in Ohio (I can usually visually see them, before they target me on busy, multi-lane roads). In New York, it alerts most of the time, but too late (as you are being targeted).

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YepItsAHoopty