Radar Detector or LIDAR Jammer? Hi from New England!

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Since you bring up a budget, I'll throw a wrench in the gears and say a set of TMG duals is ~499 and will do a fair job at protecting against most lidar guns. guns used varies by location and I would recommend you do some research as to what is in your area.

This would also integrate nicely with a V1, which should be your first purchase. Also - Run waze, its free!
TMGs would be less costly but more risk b/c there are DragonEye Lidars in use in MA & R.I. & more importantly right where he lives, Boston PD has used them for many years & use close range ambush tactics, especially the Moto LEOs !

NorEaster18

"No more government subsidies for active basses."
Advanced User
Reaction score
TMGs would be less costly but more risk b/c there are DragonEye Lidars in use in MA & R.I. & more importantly right where he lives, Boston PD has used them for many years & use close range ambush tactics, especially the Moto LEOs !
x2
On top of DE being right by his doorstep, there are many TSS and TSLR variants all over New England, and particularly in MA. ALP would be his best bet at the best protection for his money.

Disco47

Roll Tide
Beginner User
Reaction score
Around here it's 99.99% radar. I'd rather have a high end radar detector vs jammers. But jammers are invaluable in areas with Lidar.

If it were me I'd get the detector and follow up asap with ALP jammers. TMG is also a nice choice.

Memonstatus

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
radars that LEOs use operate on different frequencies. There’s a range of frequencies in each: X, K, and Ka band. X, and K band share their frequencies with motion sensors and blind spot monitors. X is no longer used in most areas. K is in some areas.

Before buying a radar detector, please do some research here for what bands are used in your area, if there’s a lot of K band, then chances are your first time experience with a radar detector will be fraught with falsing from BSMs, even on filtering detectors. If K band is a threat in the areas you visit, might as well wait for a detector like theia that would theoretically filter out falses better than what’s currently available.

k band is not used in areas I drive, so I recently bought a r7 RD and a TMG LJ. The r7 doesn’t filter well, so I just turned K band off, not an issue for me.

I agree radar detectors are the first line of defense and since cops operating a laser/Lidar have to have line of sight, and have to be stationary, the chance they will be marked on social traffic apps is much more likely.

Do the RD first that meets your needs, then think about investing in a LJ

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Dipping my toes into some countermeasures here and wanted to poll the group on which would be more valuable. I don't need any of these for my regular commute - most of my driving is longer trips on interstates and state roads across New England.

With my budget, I can swing either a high-end radar detector, or splurge for ALP laser jammers - but not both. I usually run with just Waze, but didn't have much of a need for anything additional since my last vehicle didn't sit too comfortably above 75mph.

My question is which is worth purchasing. For those of you with both, or with detectors, what's your ratio of hits from laser vs. radar? It's difficult to find updated information on how prevalent the use of each technology is. My understanding is that most state troopers have transitioned to LIDAR, and that many local municipalities are making the switch as their legacy RADAR equipment is getting phased out. Obviously, an alert from a laser detector is usually useless - hence why I would just jump to the jammers.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!
Chris
I agree with radar detector first, as it will be more prominent in most areas. Some areas are 75-25% radar over LIDAR. Some places are just the reverse. If you can afford a Uniden R3, and soon after get some jammers, you'll be in good shape.
One thing to remember, LIDAR can only be used in a stationary position. That means that on the larger roads, like an interstate, there's a good chance the trap will be posted on Waze. But, that doesn't mean you can drop your defenses, because sometimes it's missed.
I think most of us started with just a radar detector and got jammers when we could. That's gonna be the best approach IMO.

Gadgetlocator1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Where i live i get radar 500 times for every 1 laser so radar would be my opinion on what first. However I dont know how they roll in England so they may be all laser there?

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Reaction score
There's definitely laser in New England. Everyone has to gage for themselves how much of a daily threat it is. Where I travel I don't really see laser unless I'm on a road trip. I think I'd take the threat far more seriously if I was in the state of CT.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
X man