Install heads inside Tail light Lense?

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
For ultimate stealth install and for a wider placement on my vehicle, I’m wondering if it would be possible to install the heads within the housing of my tail lights? Has anyone done this?

I would pick up a set of used tail lights and do the modification so I could take my time setting them up but I’m wondering if it’s worth the trouble.

The back of my GTR is quiye wide and square so mounting on the trunk lid near the license plate is quite narrow for a wide rear end, but not unreasonable

Any thoughts?

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Probably not recommend unless you’re ok with cutting a hole in the light lens so the heads are not covered by the lens.

In theory it could work if the light lens were clear and not patterned but that’s often not the case.

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For ultimate stealth install and for a wider placement on my vehicle, I’m wondering if it would be possible to install the heads within the housing of my tail lights? Has anyone done this?

I would pick up a set of used tail lights and do the modification so I could take my time setting them up but I’m wondering if it’s worth the trouble.

The back of my GTR is quiye wide and square so mounting on the trunk lid near the license plate is quite narrow for a wide rear end, but not unreasonable

Any thoughts?
I think you'd be fine putting the RX heads underneath that lip above the plate, spacing them as wide as possible, and poking out just a little bit past it. Use some Sugru or something or get a shop to fab some perspex maybe to help hide the heads better. The receive sensitivity on ALPs is no joke.

Fauxshowpony

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Probably not recommend unless you’re ok with cutting a hole in the light lens so the heads are not covered by the lens.

In theory it could work if the light lens were clear and not patterned but that’s often not the case.
I’m fine with cutting holes, but good point about signal clarity, and if I have to breach the surface then weather & elements could be a problem.

they are clear though

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you cut a hole and have the head ortrude it would be ok, inside the light assembly itself could have issues with reflections, would probably be ok on non VPR guns but on VPR it's not a great option. The RX heads cover about a 24 inch radius out from the head in all directions so you might be well covered without having to cut anything.

MASI

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you are going to cut out the lenses for the heads like this:

1603755571077.png

I would urge you to try to seal the oval openings to the heads with some silicone calk, in order to keep: (i) water out of the reflector housings; and (ii) the heads aligned.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would urge you to try to seal the oval openings to the heads with some silicone calk, in order to keep: (i) water out of the reflector housings; and (ii) the heads aligned.
Already been done. I actually ended up redoing this with a new piece that wasn't cracked ( I have 3 spares)

QF8

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
That's is a terrible installation. Their not even positioned correctly.
You should have installed them in the reversing light part and put a thin 1 mm IR filter plastic over the top.
Better still is do something in the black strip that goes around the bumper.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Fauxshowpony

I'm not sure what your budget is, but have you looked at the Stinger Fiberoptic laser system? It's about the best there is when it comes to stealth installation and micro heads.

QF8

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
This is how it should be done.
Post automatically merged:

car laser.jpg

Attachments

• car laser.jpg
    car laser.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited: