Call me paranoid, but....

billvp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Speed and location are only logged during radar and laser alerts, and only locally. Hiding or not even logging the speed wouldn't solve the paranoia, because speed could be closely approximated from the locations and timestamps. Not logging locations would affect other functions that use them as inputs for statistical analyses. I think the only option I'd entertain is an option to turn off logging altogether, but that would degrade the effectiveness of lockout analyses.
Why is speed logged though? I don't see any use for it in your post.

Approximating speed from some locations & timestamps is not simple or accurate due to turns and route variations. If someone cared enough, they could get a calculation, but it's not like a speed just sitting there. That calculation is also just average speed and less likely to hold an "interesting" high number compared to a bunch of random point in time results.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
FWIW, the V1 Connection app doesn't log hits. Those that are concerned have other options. :)

RedThread

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@mcbrien007
the internet has a different opinion, you maybe a state licensed investigator, idk.. but I do know that more than one divorce attorney has said it is a very bad idea.. unless child welfare was involved.
" Private Citizens: The federal laws, state regulations, and consequences vary on the use of a GPS tracker on a car by private citizens. However, we do know that in all 50 states it is illegal to use a GPS tracker on a car that you do not own. So, if you want to track the whereabouts of a person, you should consult with an attorney. The potential consequences of ending up on the wrong side of the law can result in monetary penalties and potentially a blemish on your criminal background."

ILS27L

Show Me State
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I dont know what I would ever need to provide my data for but if searched I will not be able to hide it. I have in the car, navigation, two phones, an iPad, a smart watch, a device connected to my OBD2 that watches fuel economy but also records top records for the day like RPM and speed. My cell phone pings the towers all day to stay connected so the tower knows where I am and it applies to non-smart phones as well so not even that is an option to hide. I live in a city so I am on camera throughout the day. My neighbors have various cameras that can see me as I come and go.

Personal concern about speed data in my car is very minimal. If one is at that level of concern there is always the option of being the ”slow guy” my dad was. He generally rode around at PSL -5 and his record reflected it. If its a paranoia dont ever do anything that would cause the need for search and you may never have to worry about the data.

aspexin22

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Interesting thread for the paranoid. You know your mobile phone is a great spy tool. The microphone and camera can be activated by your carrier without your knowledge at any point in time legally or not. When Snowden met with the journalists he had them remove their batteries (if they could) and then put the phones in the refrigerator (Faraday cage).

Your carrier and anyone with access to the carrier's network (typically government agencies) knows exactly where your phone is even without GPS using triangulation of the cell phone towers.

Android does have an option if you mark your phone as lost and the next time it is powered up it will do a factory reset of the device and basically delete everything that was on the phone.

Lastly, never ever use a biometric like a finger print to unlock your phone. While one can claim they can't remember a password lock your finger print is not a secret and you can be compelled (forced) to unlock your phone with your biometric. Dead or alive.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Lastly, never ever use a biometric like a finger print to unlock your phone. While one can claim they can't remember a password lock your finger print is not a secret and you can be compelled (forced) to unlock your phone with your biometric. Dead or alive.
With iPhone at least, if you have not used your face or finger in 48 hours the code is required. May not help you but with time it can.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jromjr