ALP sometimes doesn’t turn on with car?

ranjha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A couple times I’ve caught my ALP controller with no light and the system was off. Pressed power and it comes on just fine. Not sure why this would happen? Have a radar detector that doesn’t have this issue? No errors or anything just sometimes misses the car power on sequence. Anybody run into similar issues? If it’s low voltage or something, why doesn’t it come on when the voltage is high enough? Clearly isn’t a connection problem because I can turn on manually.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ive has this happen as well.

ranjha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ive has this happen as well.
Seems like a costly software bug to have considering the whole premise of the product is to turn on when you’re driving. Buggy. What if I had it in the “dark mode” they offer? How would I even know? Any solutions?

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
the only thing ive found is to keep the audible startup sound. When i dont hear that i know somethings up.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've not had this experience with either cpu I've run. It could be a bug, just not one I've experienced. Have you given it a proper shake down of problems on install?

You could check your ground point and any connections/terminals you've made for the harness to make sure they are all tight with a good bite on the wire. I had a loose ring termination for the ground when I first installed my ALPs and it didn't fire up until I wiggled that contact point.

Check the connection where the CPU receives power and make sure it's snug with no bent pins.

It could also be the manner in which your vehicle powers switched devices, or what you tapped to provide power to the unit.

nicholat

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
There was a problem a few year back, that the unit would power off due to a over temp condition. how hot is it getting in your car. How long have you had your ALP. I still have this problem with mine, but it only show up when park in hot sun and clear up after running AC a few minutes.

ranjha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
There was a problem a few year back, that the unit would power off due to a over temp condition. how hot is it getting in your car. How long have you had your ALP. I still have this problem with mine, but it only show up when park in hot sun and clear up after running AC a few minutes.
It’s a brand new HW4 about 3 months old and it’s not hot at all.
Post automatically merged:

I've not had this experience with either cpu I've run. It could be a bug, just not one I've experienced. Have you given it a proper shake down of problems on install?

You could check your ground point and any connections/terminals you've made for the harness to make sure they are all tight with a good bite on the wire. I had a loose ring termination for the ground when I first installed my ALPs and it didn't fire up until I wiggled that contact point.

Check the connection where the CPU receives power and make sure it's snug with no bent pins.

It could also be the manner in which your vehicle powers switched devices, or what you tapped to provide power to the unit.
Doesn’t seem to be any issues. Has not happened throughout 3 months of ownership don’t know why my car would suddenly start powering up differently.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Mines done some weird shit but it's probably about a 1% occurrence

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This has happened to me only once, but it was last week. It hasn’t been a repeatable issue and I am not sure why it even happened

ranjha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Mines done some weird shit but it's probably about a 1% occurrence
Same here. It’s not like it’s happening every time but it’s unsettling to know that it did happen and I didn’t notice it nor was there any kind of alert that the system was bugging out.
Post automatically merged:

This has happened to me only once, but it was last week. It hasn’t been a repeatable issue and I am not sure why it even happened
My occurrences happened within the last week as well.

LuckyXII

Drive it like you stole it!
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
It may be a HW4 issue. I have the same thing happen a few times a week! My RC-M runs off the same power source, but always powers on. Also running HW4 as well.

ranjha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It may be a HW4 issue. I have the same thing happen a few times a week! My RC-M runs off the same power source, but always powers on. Also running HW4 as well.
RL 360c for me. Just started happening and there was no recent update. They ought to fix this software bug immediately.

MASI

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hummm..........

A couple of thoughts:

1) double check your power (+ and - ) connections;
2) Make sure you are running the latest ALP firmware;
3) try reloading the latest firmware into the CPU; and
4) For now, turn off silent start up, and keep close tabs on it to see if the problem re-occurrs.

omgboost

Left Lane Hog
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have HW2 and it happens sometimes for me.

Nanook

I feel the need for speed
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Mine started doing this very frequently lately..so much so last night I tried a f/w controlset update..not knowing it required it I did it regardless..so far so good 4/4...but when it did do it it was a real struggle to get it to light up..although the bt always does regardless..odd..

ranjha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Crazy that equipment in this price range only weeks old is acting up like this but glad to know mine isn't an isolated issue and that we ruled out it being related to all of our installs. I get turning on the beeps for now as a way to check, but like... its a feature that is offered to us and that is advertised (dark mode) -- should not have to second guess whether the thing is even on...

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Put a volt meter on the power wire that supplies your ALP. What is the voltage jump as the key is turned. If the voltage spikes hard let's say 12v to 15v+ the ALP will shut down to protect itself. If your car has various sharp voltage jumps you might want to have your installer add a delay relay so ALP will start after the spike from low battery voltage to high alternator voltage. If they tap power from a source that only has power after the vehicle starts you should not have an issue.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
Put a volt meter on the power wire that supplies your ALP. What is the voltage jump as the key is turned. If the voltage spikes hard let's say 12v to 15v+ the ALP will shut down to protect itself. If your car has various sharp voltage jumps you might want to have your installer add a delay relay so ALP will start after the spike from low battery voltage to high alternator voltage. If they tap power from a source that only has power after the vehicle starts you should not have an issue.

Would brownouts cause a similar issue? My R3 dies sometimes while starting the car and doesn't turn back on because the dip was too short to retrigger the turn on sequence.

LuckyXII

Drive it like you stole it!
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
If they tap power from a source that only has power after the vehicle starts you should not have an issue.
My ALP & RC M are both on switched power off the same supply and I often have this issue with the ALP not booting up when I start the car. Any suggestions to what the issue could be on my end? Thanks in advance!

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
My ALP & RC M are both on switched power off the same supply and I often have this issue with the ALP not booting up when I start the car. Any suggestions to what the issue could be on my end? Thanks in advance!
See my response above. Just because the RCM does not shut down does not mean it's not the same issue I described. ALP monitors voltages and spikes and RCM probably does not. Put a meter on the power line and see if you have fluctuations. If power comes on and goes off and comes back on within milliseconds the ALP will not restart to protect itself from these spikes.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akoe