Uniden R7 VPR LIDAR Testing on 1.33 (video)

brettzo

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I had the chance to get out and do some LIDAR testing with my Uniden R7 running the latest 1.33 firmware with added VPR gun support and I have to say that Uniden has done an incredible job improving detection on both the DragonEye and Laser Ally guns over 1.29, where my detector was previously silent to the DragonEye. The results were actually better than I had expected and I thought that I would share.

Guns tested

DragonEye
Laser Ally
UltraLyte LR B

Course

It was dark and tough to see anything in the video, but the course start was approx. 1.1km (0.68m) in length. Oncoming shots were started right around 1km. Rear shots at around 200m (656ft). I wanted to do some shorter kill zone shots in the <500m/1640ft range but we ran out of time. This seemed to be where the detector would drop the alert when shooting at 1km initially. The detector seemed extremely sensitive to each initial LIDAR alert from the front, which is great.

Video

In doing several passes in each direction, Laser Ally was a bit more unpredictable with the alert dropping off but would usually reacquire. Rear detection was also a bit unpredictable on all guns. The good news is that front shots alerted instantly on all runs and was extremely sensitive to VPR detection. The Ultralyte for whatever reason was more difficult for the detector to alert to in my testing and was a bit more delayed on each front test, but still alerted. Rear was usually a no alert.

My ALP quad (2 heads front/back) also managed to jam the DragonEye all the way up until 250m/820ft on the front and was JTG on the rear of my SUV, which is very consistent to the last time that we tested. Laser Ally is JTG front and rear with my setup too.

Overall, very big improvement and kudos Uniden for the performance add. I live in heavy use VPR area and this is a nice increase in functionality. After running another detector for a week or so, it feels good to have the R7 back on the windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Great results! Thanks for testing. Was the R7 mounted high or at dash level. I couldn’t tell for sure in the video.

Last edited:

brettzo

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Great results! Thanks for testing. Was the R7 mounted high or at dash level. I couldn’t tell for sure in the video.

It was mounted high near the rear view mirror for this test.

Last edited:

Nanook

I feel the need for speed
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
brettzo have you noticed if it will now alert to the rear henday overpass shots ?..not likely I surmise..my updated R7 has not as of yet done so..

brettzo

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
brettzo have you noticed if it will now alert to the rear henday overpass shots ?..not likely I surmise..my updated R7 has not as of yet done so..

Most of the rear shots on the Henday will be either Laser Ally or DragonEye/Dragon cam, so the R7 on 1.33 will have a chance at detecting those now, but it definitely wont be perfect from the rear and the steep angle from the overpass may be a variable that could limit or negate an alert, especially considering my tests showed inconsistency from the rear on a pretty straight course.

Here is an updated video that I posted previously, but was removed by mods for showing gun firmware. I’ve removed that information and hoping this video can be included back in my original thread too for reference.

Last edited:

Nanook

I feel the need for speed
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
interesting thanks....the R7 improvements are great...I especially like the option to mute the 2 beep mute alert...that is awesome and when the lockouts option finally comes it will be imo the best windshield mount on the market

brettzo

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
interesting thanks....the R7 improvements are great...I especially like the option to mute the 2 beep mute alert...that is awesome and when the lockouts option finally comes it will be imo the best windshield mount on the market
Totally agree. It’s an awesome detector and will only keep getting better.

Borntoride2020

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Most of the rear shots on the Henday will be either Laser Ally or DragonEye/Dragon cam, so the R7 on 1.33 will have a chance at detecting those now, but it definitely wont be perfect from the rear and the steep angle from the overpass may be a variable that could limit or negate an alert, especially considering my tests showed inconsistency from the rear on a pretty straight course.

Here is an updated video that I posted previously, but was removed by mods for showing gun firmware. I’ve removed that information and hoping this video can be included back in my original thread too for reference.

Wow, that is seriously impressive!!

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This is actually pretty decent. When we were testing my ALPs, my r7 on ver 129 would pick up the lidar beam 1 in 5 runs or so - really seemed to be luck of the draw.

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Can someone shoot their Truspeed S at the R7 133? I wanna know if it alerts reliably.

brettzo

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This is actually pretty decent. When we were testing my ALPs, my r7 on ver 129 would pick up the lidar beam 1 in 5 runs or so - really seemed to be luck of the draw.
Definitely a vast improvement over 1.29. I didn’t alert at all to DragonEye until 1.33.

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just happened across this so I put it in your OP for you. Next time just report your own post and ask for it to be changed in the "report reason" otherwise we can only fix it if we come upon it by chance.

brettzo

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I just happened across this so I put it in your OP for you. Next time just report your own post and ask for it to be changed in the "report reason" otherwise we can only fix it if we come upon it by chance.
Will do, thanks!

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Did you do any testing with the ALPs disabled or in receive only mode? There have been similar tests where the detectors only alert while the laser jammer is active, which suggests the detector is alerting to the laser jammer firing back at the gun and not the gun itself.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Did you do any testing with the ALPs disabled or in receive only mode? There have been similar tests where the detectors only alert while the laser jammer is active, which suggests the detector is alerting to the laser jammer firing back at the gun and not the gun itself.
You are exactly right.
Post automatically merged:

I have been shot with lidar probably 300 times by now. I realize that’s not much but I have never been shot further out then 800’ or so with the the vast majority of shots at 300’ or under.

Last edited:

Fixxxer0

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Were the guns aimed at the license plate or headlight? Or at the RD

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Nice thanks for doing this. Seems like uniden has fixed many of the laser woes of the R7. Not that it's at V1 level, but the more situational awareness the better.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pflaugh