Hub Centric Spacers?

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with wheel spacers? Looking to add a set of aftermarket rims to the Maserati... Not a lot of all season tire options for the 20 inch wheels... I can get the continental DWS tires I like a lot in 19s but I will need to run spacer... Factory rears are 19x10 most quality wheels are 19X9.5 with an offset that puts the wheel an additional 5mm inside the wheel well... I have never used spacers, do they impact performance in any way?

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Are there OEM wheels available that you can get if you’re looking for a different size? If so, what are the OEM tire sizes you have now versus what you’re hoping would give you more options?

There are a LOT of wheel options out there in the world. I’d much, much rather find a good set of aftermarket wheels with the right backspacing/offset than run any spacers, if I couldn’t find any decent OEM options that met my needs.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hmm.
if your looking at winter tires, i personally prefer rims over spacers.

I take it the car on factory tires are more or less a summer tire type... rather than an all season option??? Sort of what they claim as a “3 season” tire? Due to the performance aspect of the cars capabilities?

I get that. Been there.

If your going to be tempted to use the cars abilities at times, I’d leave the tires on the factory rims for the summer. Or get the proper tire to match the performance specs. You could also buy rims with the offset you’d prefer. Maybe even a replica.

For inclement weather/winter... get a good winter type of tire on some lesser rims.... and change them out.

No to spacers if your going to push the car.

Maybe a small spacer of no more than .5” max and winter tires only.

SVG

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm using a set of Hub Centric Rings this year for the very first time. I just put my Audi S4 winter wheels on my Golf R and the hub sizes are different. The rings I'm using don't affect the wheel offset at all.
Just did a 150~ mile drive today and they worked just as they should.

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I know nothing about spacers, they didn't seem like a good idea though...

OEM Specs are front, 19x8.5 44ET and rear 19x10 40 ET
Most of the aftermarket wheels have 32ET in the front and are 19x9.5 with the 40 ET in the rear...

The car has Pirelli P-Zero all seasons that I most likely a 10,000 mile tire as they currently have 5k of easy driving and I can't see them going 20-30k, not a big fan of Pirelli to start...

I was looking at 19s hoping to fit a set of Continental DWS06's on them.

I can go up to 20 inch, but the availability of all season tires is almost nothing! Pirelli's in abundance... Michelin sport A3 plus but even places that show stock are back ordered on the rears and than Bridgestone which I know little about and again most place have indicated they are out of the rears...

The car is a daily driver, and while I can avoid snow for the most part, always a chance of getting stuck with a pop up storm while at work and I can't avoid the freezing cold periods in the Northeast... I have DWS06's on my 911 and for the limited driving I do they don't get pushed to the point of not being enough....

rider9195

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
They won't impact performance. You need to measure for proper lug nut/bolt engagement though since you will be pushing the wheel away from the hub more.

Also do not cheap out on them. I have H&R spacers and they have been great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

EightyFiveHundred

-/-\- v10 (00=[][]=00) ///M5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
They won't impact performance. You need to measure for proper lug nut/bolt engagement though since you will be pushing the wheel away from the hub more.

Also do not cheap out on them. I have H&R spacers and they have been great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
^This! Also make sure they are seated properly.

For a spacer, I wouldn’t go past 20mm or thinner than 10mm. You will also need to buy new bolts or studs — and CHECK YOUR TORQUE OFTEN.

Personally, I run a 15mm H&R spacer up front, year round and for track duty, on my daily driver, to clear my BBK and shock tower.

On my track car, I run four hub centric rings.

On my race car, no spacers. The last thing you want is a spacer rolling away during a pit stop.

Last edited:

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks guys! seem like a dead deal anyway... Went to order 2 different sets of wheels one from Vossen and the other from HRE and both apparently will not work...Vossen will custom cut a set for an additional $300 so it may be somewhat of an option...

GolNat

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I run 15mm and 10mm on my GTI. No issues and they might help performance a bit.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Spacers, no.

Not for the type of power that Mazerati is capable of putting down.

Now, if you needed one to clear the brakes for an emergency donut to get the car a couple miles down the road, sure, use one. That's a calculated risk and you aren't going to be pushing a hobbled vehicle at that rate any way.

But to just leave one on there for good to run a specific tire or rim, no. Not going to be as strong or safe as a hub and the correct fitting wheel.

There is significant extra strain on the hub when cornering that I wouldn't ever trust a spacer with.

You can be fine until the exact time in which you are not fine, and then the not fine event be a complete wheel failure.

No thanks.

dcmackintosh

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Spacers, no.

Now, if you needed one to clear the brakes for an emergency donut to get the car a couple miles down the road, sure, use one. That's a calculated risk and you aren't going to be pushing a hobbled vehicle at that rate any way.

But to just leave one on there for good to run a specific tire or rim, no. Not going to be as strong or safe as a hub and the correct fitting wheel.

There is significant extra strain on the hub when cornering that I wouldn't ever trust a spacer with.

You can be fine until the exact time in which you are not fine, and then the not fine event be a complete wheel failure.

No thanks.

I'll try not to be an ass, but you're not making a good engineering argument here (as in, do you understand bolted connections, stretch, the difference between stress and strain, etc.?). There's no reason why properly designed spacers with correctly torqued fasteners can't be used safely, assuming the car is somewhat close to stock power and weight (there are huge safety factors, BTW). Using spacers to significantly change the wheel offset and track width can change the applied moments and vehicle dynamics (sometimes to advantage), but in this case the OP seems to want to use spacers to maintain the stock offsets with aftermarket wheels. That's completely legit, IMO.

Last edited:

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The nature of spacers offsets your lugs, as the connection to your hub must be offset to the connection of the lugs on the spacer for the wheel.

So there is a force on the connection to the hub, as well as a force against the wheel and lugs on the spacer, but you've also halved the distance between those two opposing forces. And then in a turn you're going to add flex stressors to that spacer as the tire toes in and out depending on the direction you turn.

Nope, you can do it all you want, I wouldn't run one except on the aforementioned emergency situation.

EightyFiveHundred

-/-\- v10 (00=[][]=00) ///M5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You can run a high quality spacer as long as you understand how. Keep in mind, I have a fully adjustable motorsport suspension, which means I can adjust my camber and toe, control arms, and have reinforced subframes on my street car, that I will track.

I'm slowing from over 130mph and pulling over 1.0G going into these turns.

May-08-2015-BMW CCA Central California - Group B - Cotton Corners - BW__0031_May0815_by_Rob.jpg

Open Group-Turn 3 Inside (110pm)-CVR_2570_1315_Dec2819_CaliPhoto.jpg

I am well over 150mph on the front straight of CalSpeedway, going into Turn 1 and 2, which lead up to a 60mph, left/right right/left combination.
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 16.37.58.png

Last edited:

dcmackintosh

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The nature of spacers offsets your lugs, as the connection to your hub must be offset to the connection of the lugs on the spacer for the wheel.

So there is a force on the connection to the hub, as well as a force against the wheel and lugs on the spacer, but you've also halved the distance between those two opposing forces. And then in a turn you're going to add flex stressors to that spacer as the tire toes in and out depending on the direction you turn.

Nope, you can do it all you want, I wouldn't run one except on the aforementioned emergency situation.
I'm sorry, but none of this makes a bit of sense, as any other mechanical engineer who has specialized in machine design would also tell you. You're certainly welcome to follow your own intuition-based opinions, though. I'm feeling a bit ill, so I think I'll go drink some bleach now.

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
It is shocking to me how many wheel manufactures not distributors, the actual people who make the wheels that have no clue! Yes we make wheels to fit, oh no wait we don't, oh wait they kinda fit, oh they will be an inch inside the wheels wells, of yes we do very aggressive they will protrude 2 inches!!! Looks like Vossen may be able to custom cut a 19x10 with the correct offset no spacers needed for a somewhat reasonable price, waiting on confirmation as a dealer has to order them on my behalf....

dcmackintosh

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It is shocking to me how many wheel manufactures not distributors, the actual people who make the wheels that have no clue! Yes we make wheels to fit, oh no wait we don't, oh wait they kinda fit, oh they will be an inch inside the wheels wells, of yes we do very aggressive they will protrude 2 inches!!! Looks like Vossen may be able to custom cut a 19x10 with the correct offset no spacers needed for a somewhat reasonable price, waiting on confirmation as a dealer has to order them on my behalf....
Well, you’re still talking to salesmen, not engineers. I’d be surprised if anyone would increase offset by removing material from the wheel mounting face, possibly a very few millimeters. There needs to be a certain amount of material (thickness) between that face and the conical or spherical lug bolt interface. Maybe if it was already much thicker than necessary or the bolt pattern wasn’t already drilled.

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, you’re still talking to salesmen, not engineers. I’d be surprised if anyone would increase offset by removing material from the wheel mounting face, possibly a very few millimeters. There needs to be a certain amount of material (thickness) between that face and the conical or spherical lug bolt interface. Maybe if it was already much thicker than necessary or the bolt pattern wasn’t already drilled.
Sounded more like Vossen will make a 19x10 wheel instead of the production 19x9.5 they offer with my desired offset...HRE was willing to do that too at an insane mark up...

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
Ended up taking a shot on a set of Rohana 20s with BF Goodrich Comp 2+'s no spacers needed....Not sure about the tires but affordable enough if I have to junk them in a year so be it...

natedog7700

PSL + whatever i feel like
Beginner User
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with wheel spacers? Looking to add a set of aftermarket rims to the Maserati... Not a lot of all season tire options for the 20 inch wheels... I can get the continental DWS tires I like a lot in 19s but I will need to run spacer... Factory rears are 19x10 most quality wheels are 19X9.5 with an offset that puts the wheel an additional 5mm inside the wheel well... I have never used spacers, do they impact performance in any way?

Hub centric spacers are the way to go. Been running them for years.

Lug centric other other hand, are a big no. Never run those lol
Post automatically merged:

Spacers, no.

No thanks.

My 335 was at 600hp to the wheels and I had no problem for years before I sold it. I wouldn't worry about hub centric spacers, I still run them on my vehicles to this day with no issues

Last edited:

GolNat

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ended up taking a shot on a set of Rohana 20s with BF Goodrich Comp 2+'s no spacers needed....Not sure about the tires but affordable enough if I have to junk them in a year so be it...

Great tires they just get loud as they wear. Wet and dry performance was great tho.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akoe