Bye, bye Volvo

NVR2FST

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the "Nanny State" of Sweden. (Because their Viking ancestors were so risk averse.)
Screenshot_20201022_205537.jpeg
Screenshot_20201022_205459.jpeg

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm A Volvo fan and this is stupid.

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm sure lots of people will enjoy all the honking at them for dropping to 15 mph near a school and all the cars rear ending Volvos because their speeds dropped in that area. Also, great to drop the top speed so when some crazy starts following you but can't get away.

ILS27L

Show Me State
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That's a little too smart for a car.

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think the nanny state is happening everywhere. Governments and the super intellectual individuals that choose that career path (because everyone knows that the brightest and most highly driven people always select a government career - and yes, that is meant as sarcasm), we have people less capable making the rules for everyone else. When you also think about what shaped countries such as Sweden or the US (as only just two examples) you realize how far they're moving the opposite direction.

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it, the school zone thing isn’t a bad idea. Like pit lane speed limiters. Lol

As for everything else **** Volvo!

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Why can’t they use the monitoring system for good, like forcing drivers out of the passing lane if they aren’t passing anyone. 😜

Yippeekyaa

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
In the op’s link it mentions using LIDAR sensors for autonomous driving.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if all you have to do is flip a bit somewhere in the memory to disable the limiter. Or write to memory somewhere in order to change the limit. If not, you can always hack it.

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
guys... This is like California. If Volvo's doing it, the rest are on board right behind them. Fully autonomous cars are our future, with a bunch of old guys driving 60s cars until we die off

NVR2FST

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Back in the day they liked to quip, "If you can't drink, don't drive!" in Cholly Olde England.

More seriously, by keeping track of our society's risk aversion we can observe generational changes in people's attitude towards life in general. Take the Wu-Flu panic of today as compared to our response to the pandemics of 1918 (Spanish Flu), 1957 (Asian Flu) and 1968 (Hong Kong Flu). No "lock downs" and no government "bailouts" were required back then. People took sensible precautions and carried on with life. A few died. Most lived. Life quickly returned to normalcy.

In 1918 - 1919 an estimated 675,000 Americans died from the Spanish Flu. Most were young to middle aged. Adjusted for today's population that would amount to over 2.1 MILLION deaths in the United States.

Yet the ensuing 1920's were known as the "Roaring Twenties" as economic, technological and social progress reached new heights while we as a society shrugged off the recent pandemic. While our so-called "standard of living" has increased in the last 50 to 100 years our "level of resiliency" has also declined.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
^^^ That’s because everyone’s a little bitch in this country and a bunch of pansy ass crybabies when it comes to the bs going on now. It’s like everyone’s scared to death or something. Go out and do whatever. If you’re scared, then stay your ass home but everyone should take precautions FOR THEIR OWN SELVES. I’m tired of the government of Karens out there telling me I need to wear a mask to keep them safe. Keep yourself safe and don’t worry about what I do. Every once in a while nature has to have a culling... welcome to this one. Be sensible and you’ll be fine.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
^^^ That’s because everyone’s a little bitch in this country and a bunch of pansy ass crybabies when it comes to the bs going on now. It’s like everyone’s scared to death or something. Go out and do whatever. If you’re scared, then stay your ass home but everyone should take precautions FOR THEIR OWN SELVES. I’m tired of the government of Karens out there telling me I need to wear a mask to keep them safe. Keep yourself safe and don’t worry about what I do. Every once in a while nature has to have a culling... welcome to this one. Be sensible and you’ll be fine.
You just said a mouthful and thank you for saying it! I feel the same way!

Last edited:

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
If school is out on a weekday and your car is rolling along at 15 you’re going to look like a fool. I get it, the kids are standing in the street and you need help to avoid them but let me deal with that myself. I am already cautious and I already observe the rules in school zones as well as construction zones and any other place like a parking lot where people might be in the road. Some people are not paying attention but making a car that can stop them is not as good as just preventing them from having a car. The last thing I ever want to do is kill someone with my car so I manage it myself.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
OK, didn’t realize some of you needed this explained, but the geofencing for that wouldn’t be implemented in a non-dynamic state. It has to account for time where it’s not an active school zone, so the signals for the zone will need to wirelessly update the geofence On/Off as necessary for when they’re active or not. It’s basically a second level of interference for the user who won’t take the visual queues and act accordingly. And clearly I’m talking about the implementation sometime in the future where a lot of cars will be cloud connected... similar to the stupid ass Teslas out there now. A lot needs to change to make this implementation work right and yeah, clearly it can’t be done now because it’s not dynamic enough and you can’t even set to via GPS geofence vs a static onboard calendar and time setting because that won’t cover all possibilities of when the zone will or will not be active. I though that was all a given, but I guess not. Lol

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Back in the day they liked to quip, "If you can't drink, don't drive!" in Cholly Olde England.

More seriously, by keeping track of our society's risk aversion we can observe generational changes in people's attitude towards life in general. Take the Wu-Flu panic of today as compared to our response to the pandemics of 1918 (Spanish Flu), 1957 (Asian Flu) and 1968 (Hong Kong Flu). No "lock downs" and no government "bailouts" were required back then. People took sensible precautions and carried on with life. A few died. Most lived. Life quickly returned to normalcy.

In 1918 - 1919 an estimated 675,000 Americans died from the Spanish Flu. Most were young to middle aged. Adjusted for today's population that would amount to over 2.1 MILLION deaths in the United States.

Yet the ensuing 1920's were known as the "Roaring Twenties" as economic, technological and social progress reached new heights while we as a society shrugged off the recent pandemic. While our so-called "standard of living" has increased in the last 50 to 100 years our "level of resiliency" has also declined.

You just said a mouthful and thank you for saying it! I feel the same way!
Wrong thread, guys.

Run4donut

Fastest trigger in the west
Advanced User
Reaction score
People still buy Volvos? I see more late 80s and early 90s models than anything new on the roads.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akoe