Where are all thr speed traps in PA

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Recently moved to PA from Idaho back at the end of May 2020. In Idaho I lived in a city that had an Idaho State Police Troop in it, also the HQ for the county Sheriffs was there and they also had their own city cops. Any time I wanted to experience radar speed traps I would just drive 2 min onto the highway and 9/10 times there would be ISP running I/O 33.8 all day. I move to PA and live in Hershey where the state HQ for the PA State Police is and I drive 600 miles a week on highways commuting to and from work in CT all highway through major PA highways such as I-81 I-78 I-83 and in my 5 months here hit a total of 3 PA speed traps. Albeit they were all staties running low power K band handheld I/O. I figured for such a big state with so many major highways that go through it, I would see more speed enforcement. As soon as I cross into NY or NJ it turns into an absolute Ka and Lidar party but no love from PA. I'm getting bored and frustrated running my R7 especially with all the K band 24.150 or 24.125 speed construction signs out here. Seems like PA just doesn't care much about speed enforcement. Their local cops are not even allowed to use radar or laser lol.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, this is one time when boredom can be good.

We traversed the entire state of PA a couple times over the past two years. We see minimal action. Just the routine setup with them backed into the woods facing traffic as it whizzed by them on I80. Ohh, one other thing we observed: minimal marking on VVaze which makes me unhappy.

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Recently moved to PA from Idaho back at the end of May 2020. In Idaho I lived in a city that had an Idaho State Police Troop in it, also the HQ for the county Sheriffs was there and they also had their own city cops. Any time I wanted to experience radar speed traps I would just drive 2 min onto the highway and 9/10 times there would be ISP running I/O 33.8 all day. I move to PA and live in Hershey where the state HQ for the PA State Police is and I drive 600 miles a week on highways commuting to and from work in CT all highway through major PA highways such as I-81 I-78 I-83 and in my 5 months here hit a total of 3 PA speed traps. Albeit they were all staties running low power K band handheld I/O. I figured for such a big state with so many major highways that go through it, I would see more speed enforcement. As soon as I cross into NY or NJ it turns into an absolute Ka and Lidar party but no love from PA. I'm getting bored and frustrated running my R7 especially with all the K band 24.150 or 24.125 speed construction signs out here. Seems like PA just doesn't care much about speed enforcement. Their local cops are not even allowed to use radar or laser lol.
Shhhh... don't say it out loud or you will jinx us. I'm very close to you and let's hope the legislature doesn't muster the votes to change this. They are trying...

yellowtibby

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Shhhh... don't say it out loud or you will jinx us. I'm very close to you and let's hope the legislature doesn't muster the votes to change this. They are trying...
Say you don't happen to have a mustang or camaro do you? I don't remember which one it was but I saw a guy in a domestic sport coupe driving near harrisburg with an R7 on the windshield. I never see R7s usually, unless it's a true radar enthusiast. Usually see crappy cobras, I was wondering if it was an RDF guy lol.

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Say you don't happen to have a mustang or camaro do you? I don't remember which one it was but I saw a guy in a domestic sport coupe driving near harrisburg with an R7 on the windshield. I never see R7s usually, unless it's a true radar enthusiast. Usually see crappy cobras, I was wondering if it was an RDF guy lol.
That wasn't me but I'm regularly in Hershey, but I drive a black Volvo. One thing...Watch out for the Redflex traps on 322/422 mear the construction.

yellowtibby

Intermediate User
Reaction score
That wasn't me but I'm regularly in Hershey, but I drive a black Volvo. One thing...Watch out for the Redflex traps on 322/422 mear the construction.
Yes that white Jeep Grand Cherokee Redflex car is always there.

RRJ

Running with R3
Beginner User
Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of small towns in Idaho. One ISP, a few county cops, and a few city cops. It was a little harder to find radar around the southeastern county I grew up in. It seemed easy enough if you didn’t want to see one, but if you wanted to, they were nowhere in sight.

ALS

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just remember the State Police are the only ones allowed to run radar. Locals use VASCAR and pacing.

soberbyker

Outta my way, I've got to pee!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just remember the State Police are the only ones allowed to run radar. Locals use VASCAR and pacing.
Every legislative session for as long as I can remember has had a radar use for local police bill. Both the Senate and the House of Representatives draft their own version of a bill. The Senate bill normally gets the traction and it normally passes the Senate and stalls in the House. Another Senate bill just died in the House and is at the end of the two year session. That said, a new 2 year session is upon us and a new bill just introduced. This one is worded very differently, looks like this representative really wants this bill to pass.

House of Representatives
Session of 2021 - 2022 Regular Session
House Bill 134​

MEMORANDUM​

Posted:​
December 2, 2020 10:57 AM
Representative Greg Rothman
To:​
All House members
Subject:​
Police Radar Legislation (Former HB74)
In the near future, I plan to reintroduce legislation that establishes a six-year pilot program for accredited municipal and regional police to use radar as a speed timing device in the Commonwealth. The legislation is an attempt to have this long-stalled device approved for use by our local police while making sure of its acceptance by the motoring public.

Major points of the legislation are outlined below:
  • Designed to address potential abuse.
  • Use permitted only by full time police officers.
  • Employed by full time, full service police agencies and only following an approved course of training and refresher course every three years.
  • Only accredited municipal and regional police under a six-year pilot program.
  • Provides for defense against prosecution if being used to generate revenue.
  • Generation of revenue is demonstrated if 1% or more of the total revenue is derived from radar traffic fines.
  • 10 mph cushion
  • 90 written warning period to begin enforcement
  • Annual progress reports from communities are to be made to PennDOT and PennDOT is required to make an annual report to the Legislature
  • Provides for periodic testing and calibration of all devices itself as prescribed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (N.H.T.S.A.).
  • No points issued or insurance surcharges can be assessed.
  • Provides that officer(s) using the device must be in marked vehicles and visible to the motoring public.
  • Roads must be posted as “radar enforced” entering the community.
  • Local ordinance required to enforce.
    • Enforcement authorized only in response to citizen complaints and/or demonstrable traffic safety concerns such as high crash rates and/or fatalities.
  • Have limited use on locally owned residential areas. Speed limits on roads authorized for radar must be certified by engineering and traffic study before enforcement begins and every three years thereafter.
  • Ticket quota language ban added. “Station average” quotas outlawed.
Please consider co-sponsoring this important piece of legislation.

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Every legislative session for as long as I can remember has had a radar use for local police bill. Both the Senate and the House of Representatives draft their own version of a bill. The Senate bill normally gets the traction and it normally passes the Senate and stalls in the House. Another Senate bill just died in the House and is at the end of the two year session. That said, a new 2 year session is upon us and a new bill just introduced. This one is worded very differently, looks like this representative really wants this bill to pass.

House of Representatives​

Session of 2021 - 2022 Regular Session​

House Bill 134​

MEMORANDUM​

Posted:​
December 2, 2020 10:57 AM
Representative Greg Rothman
To:​
All House members
Subject:​
Police Radar Legislation (Former HB74)
In the near future, I plan to reintroduce legislation that establishes a six-year pilot program for accredited municipal and regional police to use radar as a speed timing device in the Commonwealth. The legislation is an attempt to have this long-stalled device approved for use by our local police while making sure of its acceptance by the motoring public.

Major points of the legislation are outlined below:
  • Designed to address potential abuse.
  • Use permitted only by full time police officers.
  • Employed by full time, full service police agencies and only following an approved course of training and refresher course every three years.
  • Only accredited municipal and regional police under a six-year pilot program.
  • Provides for defense against prosecution if being used to generate revenue.
  • Generation of revenue is demonstrated if 1% or more of the total revenue is derived from radar traffic fines.
  • 10 mph cushion
  • 90 written warning period to begin enforcement
  • Annual progress reports from communities are to be made to PennDOT and PennDOT is required to make an annual report to the Legislature
  • Provides for periodic testing and calibration of all devices itself as prescribed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (N.H.T.S.A.).
  • No points issued or insurance surcharges can be assessed.
  • Provides that officer(s) using the device must be in marked vehicles and visible to the motoring public.
  • Roads must be posted as “radar enforced” entering the community.
  • Local ordinance required to enforce.
    • Enforcement authorized only in response to citizen complaints and/or demonstrable traffic safety concerns such as high crash rates and/or fatalities.
  • Have limited use on locally owned residential areas. Speed limits on roads authorized for radar must be certified by engineering and traffic study before enforcement begins and every three years thereafter.
  • Ticket quota language ban added. “Station average” quotas outlawed.
Please consider co-sponsoring this important piece of legislation.
I encouraged my friends (via facebook) to contact their reps and wrote mine. I know Greg Rothman and it is disappointing to see him sponsor this. Thanks for posting!

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well in all honesty if they get radar that's the best scenario I've seen, they have to give 10, no points, etc. Now if they said have to use c/o I say bring it lol

soberbyker

Outta my way, I've got to pee!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well in all honesty if they get radar that's the best scenario I've seen, they have to give 10, no points, etc. Now if they said have to use c/o I say bring it lol
Although this new attempt actually calls it a cushion, there is language in current law that affords one as well. Basically it says for RADAR being used by the PSP no ticket can be written unless 6 miles or more over the limit, (same for roads posted 65 mph or more). With a few exceptions, like school zones, all other means of detection a ticket must not be written unless 11 miles or more per hour over the limit.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandy745