Updating for Adventurous Mac Users

AllAboutJake

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
As others like @Vortex have mentioned, you can use the previously available Uniden R Series Tool V1.2 to upgrade to the latest firmware, even though it is no longer available on Uniden's site.

I have had some problems with drivers, however, and I couldn't figure out how to get the tool to connect to my R7.

The R7 appears to be using a CP2102 serial chip. Apple has been deprecating kernel extensions and getting them to work on Catalina has been it or miss for me. I have been using the https://www.mac-usb-serial.com/ drivers pretty successfully, but they are commercial (and on sale right now coincidentally)

The issue is that these drivers are support CP2102 on the Mac perfectly, they do not work with the Uniden tool. The reason is that the Uniden tool has the device name hard coded in the binary.

1603219868524.png

The mac-usb-serial drivers, however, will make the device appear as `/dev/cu.Repleo-CP2102-0001`

So I did what any self respecting developer would do, hex edited the file! I replaced `/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART` with `/dev/cu.Repleo-CP2102-0001` Making sure to keep all the bites in the same place and add the null-temination character (0x00) after the string. This eats into an error message, but ideally I won't be seeing that error message anyway. (And if I see an odd, truncated error with part of the serial device name, I'll know what it is!)

Long story short, plugged things in, and clicked the "get version" button, and it worked on the first shot. I clicked the button to apply the update and everything went perfectly.

Your mileage may vary, don't do what I did. If you try, do so at your own risk.

I suspect the reason Uniden pulled the drivers is because the newer versions of MacOS make things difficult and Apple is trying to get rid of kernel drivers. Normally, I would have just made a symlink of the device to match with the Uniden tool expected, but MacOS's system integrity protection doesn't even let you do that.

This is a pretty risky, long way around, but I was able to get `R7_133.141.113_db200710` installed without incident.

Good luck.

Jamienbaker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
What's strange is I'm using v1.2 and the latest OS and didn't have any trouble loading 1.33. I'm on a late 2013 iMac, 3.1 quad-core i7. But I'll admit it took two tries. Thanks for the post, it's above my paygrade but super useful.

ekib

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I had so much trouble getting my Mac to recognize my R7 this time that I ended up installing Windows 10 in Parallels only to find that Windows couldn't detect the stupid thing either.

Several hours later I realize it was the first time I attempted to use the cable that actually came with my R7... I guess I got a bad one. An old phone cable like I used for previous updates worked fine.

On the plus side, now I have Windows installed so I won't have to worry about things working for future updates lol.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I tried the cable that came with mine and could not see the detector. I assumed it was my Big Sur beta and used my BootCamp install of Win 10 to update. It worked fine. I needed it more when I had a Pro M but thought this time I could update the Uniden with MacOS. I just didn't try harder maybe since its already setup to have Windows installed.

Z51VetteFan

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just loaded 1.33 onto my R7 and 1.54 onto my R3 with no issues, using the 1.2 installer. Took about 5 minutes.

Dave3006

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
The drivers and the 1.2 installer are still on the uniden site, Iam running the latest iMac and Mac book pro with these, No problems.
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 05.47.42.png

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pflaugh