First Long Trip with V1G2

Blond183

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So I had the chance to actually take my new V1G2 on a trip from Austin to Fort Worth this weekend. I've only had it for exactly a week now and this was the first trip out of the city for it.
I have a couple of questions regarding how the detector was acting that I was hoping someone could help shed some light on, especially since this is the first device I've owned.
  1. Do some big rigs have a form of KA BSM? I noticed when I ran up next to a couple I would get a weak KA signal and all the arrows on the detector would start to go on and off.
  2. I did not run into many cops on the trip (which was surprising), but the few that I did come across that were running radar I noticed the V1 would ramp up decently but then after I passed them it would come down a level and then stop alerting. Is this because the cop was only running radar in one direction?
  3. I was running the detector in "A" mode on the highway and I noticed a ton of K band alerts mostly when we would come through a city or traffic got bad. I am assuming that these were BSM since they were weak and were lighting up all the arrows on the detector. Is there a way to try and distinguish certain K band frequencies to know if it could be a hidden officer?
  4. Can I mostly ignore X band hits (I drive in central TX mostly)?
Aside from the questions above I am really enjoying this detector paired with JBV1 so far. I am for sure still trying to figure everything out and am paranoid that for some reason the detector isn't working (idk why I think that), but with the help of this forum I am learning a ton.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
1) Yes. The big rig stuff was some of the first junk signals out on the highways early on.
There's a bunch out there that you aren't being alerted to as well.

2) Possibly. The beeping and lights you get from the detector are a user interface that represents somewhat the actual radar situation the detector sees.
Signal levels and other characteristics change rapidly and the detector presents it's best approximation of what is happening at that moment.
The actual radar signal might last 1 second but the detector will beep a full pattern for longer than that for the user.
What you are probably seeing in this case is that the signal literally drops off and the detector represents that as one fainter beep.

3) There's both BSM signals from other vehicles and lots of K-band (and maybe some X-band) signals from stores, etc.
FWIW, I drive 50,000 to 60,000 a year and I'm never running "All Bogies" mode. I've got 24,000+ so far on my Gen2 in a mix of Advanced Logic and Logic modes. Logic mode above PSL.

K-band is typically only 200 MHz wide. The spec for guns is expected to be 24.150 (or 24.125) plus and minus 100 MHz.
Nothing in K-band is out of that range.
Police are typically found anywhere from 24.080 to 24.205 pretty often. You usually won't see an LEO gun below 24.080 or above 24.205, but that doesn't mean they can't exist.

With practice you will be able to determine quickly whether the signal is likely real or not. Don't ignore anything. :)

4) I don't know about that area. :)

Blond183

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
1) Yes. The big rig stuff was some of the first junk signals out on the highways early on.
There's a bunch out there that you aren't being alerted to as well.

2) Possibly. The beeping and lights you get from the detector are a user interface that represents somewhat the actual radar situation the detector sees.
Signal levels and other characteristics change rapidly and the detector presents it's best approximation of what is happening at that moment.
The actual radar signal might last 1 second but the detector will beep a full pattern for longer than that for the user.
What you are probably seeing in this case is that the signal literally drops off and the detector represents that as one fainter beep.

3) There's both BSM signals from other vehicles and lots of K-band (and maybe some X-band) signals from stores, etc.
FWIW, I drive 50,000 to 60,000 a year and I'm never running "All Bogies" mode. I've got 24,000+ so far on my Gen2 in a mix of Advanced Logic and Logic modes. Logic mode above PSL.

K-band is typically only 200 MHz wide. The spec for guns is expected to be 24.150 (or 24.125) plus and minus 100 MHz.
Nothing in K-band is out of that range.
Police are typically found anywhere from 24.080 to 24.205 pretty often. You usually won't see an LEO gun below 24.080 or above 24.205, but that doesn't mean they can't exist.

With practice you will be able to determine quickly whether the signal is likely real or not. Don't ignore anything. :)

4) I don't know about that area. :)
Thanks for the detailed reply! Between this being my first detector and also running JBV, I sometimes feel like I fell into the deep end and am slowly learning how to swim lol.

I figured a lot of the weak KA and K signals I was getting were BSM. Of course though the first trip I take with my new detector I only had like one hit I could 100% confirm. I just need to get more seat time with the V1 and I feel like I'll gain more confidence with it.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply! Between this being my first detector and also running JBV, I sometimes feel like I fell into the deep end and am slowly learning how to swim lol.

I figured a lot of the weak KA and K signals I was getting were BSM. Of course though the first trip I take with my new detector I only had like one hit I could 100% confirm. I just need to get more seat time with the V1 and I feel like I'll gain more confidence with it.
The issue with the weak Ka is deciding if its real. I assume it is until I can verify its not. A long distance instant shot on a car ahead could be represented as a low level Ka or one that only shows a bar. When I get a single bar and tone I still back off until I can decide then move on. Getting a look at the detected frequency via JBV1 is the biggest help. It will at least let you know if its in range or well out and that helps the decision process.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karamany