MRCD testing - R1/R3 FW 1.53 vs MultaRadarCD

skd

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Provoked by the latest testing results by @Heywood, I decided to do a short testing today with my R1 against the nearest MRCD unit by the JENOPTIK ROBOT GmbH, Germany. I did a test there about year ago with FW 1.46 that you can remember here. Was curious if the claim in the FW update 1.53 will live up to my expectations firsthand.

I have put everything together in a single video. Three runs - half of them with K band on and MRCD on, half of them with deactivated K band and only MRCD On. I did that because my R1 reacted initially just like in this video from Australia. First K band which was long enough detection for an MRCD and then the usual mrcd announcement. I wanted too see both cases. K filter is off during all the test runs. I will not give numbers in meters but everybody is able visually to see for themselves, it is enough. Most users should keep in mind that MRCD is very hard to detect, let alone from a long distance. You should also bear in mind that this unit here is installed in a specially designed box to limit the emission into one narrow direction and that is why it is hard to be detected from the enforcement side, from the back. But if you think that MRCD is bad, think again... We've had here recently something called "Cordon M2" that is even worse than an MRCD's :D Here is the video itself I recorded for you:

Conclusions:
1. All the three detections were consistent and stable for an Uniden, even better than with FW 1.46 and caught at a longer distance.
2. Initial detection could be announced as "K band" gradually going to MRCD. But I can live with that as long as these detections are even more awesome as range than the previous ones.
3. Based on the above-mentioned sources and videos, also this report and the current results, I can admit that firmware 1.53 is the best one so far for MRCD detection by Uniden for Uniden R1 and R3. Also it is one of the best all-rounded firmwares made by Uniden for all bands.

Last edited:

Fixxxer0

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Good to know. I just got around to updating to 1.53 since 1.33 for the R7 came out, did em both at once.

The mrct cameras in NYC are spreading like crazy.

Waze is good at giving alerts but it's usually a half mile in advance and when you're in traffic and getting off and exit you kind of forget where the camera is because a minute or two can go by. It's nice to have that last minute alert from the RD incase I forget.

I've only driven by one camera today, and it alerted a couple hundred feet in advance.

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
That's decent range coming up from behind. But yeah, that's about as good as it gets in terms of detection range. Now for the Cordon M, yeah probably the Genovo is the only RD that will give you decent range. Good thing Russian gear isn't popular in North America.

Reactions: skd

skd

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Good to know. I just got around to updating to 1.53 since 1.33 for the R7 came out, did em both at once.

The mrct cameras in NYC are spreading like crazy.

Waze is good at giving alerts but it's usually a half mile in advance and when you're in traffic and getting off and exit you kind of forget where the camera is because a minute or two can go by. It's nice to have that last minute alert from the RD incase I forget.

I've only driven by one camera today, and it alerted a couple hundred feet in advance.
Well said. The range is decent and it could give you a quick reminder or even safe as long as you are not speeding much above PSL. Even if you are 15-25 mph over PSL, you could lower to it in time

That's decent range coming up from behind. But yeah, that's about as good as it gets in terms of detection range. Now for the Cordon M, yeah probably the Genovo is the only RD that will give you decent range. Good thing Russian gear isn't popular in North America.
The range from behind was always the issue we were worried about, even with FW 1.46 that previously was the best version but suffered in K band in some aspects. In a front approach there has always been a good enough range. The backside was another topic. I am glad to see that now I am getting much more consistent results.
As to the Cordon, I wouldn't claim that Genevo could give us good enough alerts until tested. Uniden is very responsive with K band and even so, it has a really hard time against it, even R7. This radar is considerably ahead of every RD on the market. Maybe only something like Thea will be able to cope with it. A powerful detector with a powerful signature DB or filtering is necessary. There are some specific brands for the Russian markets such as iBox, Silverstone, Neoline, Sho-Me that they call "signature radar detectors" and are specialized in detecting some specific radars such as the Cordon. Even they could hardly surpass 300-400 m in best case scenario.

Last edited:

Monus Brewer

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me if the MRCD cameras are in fixed location why not set-up a location marker? That way you always get a marker plus alert.

Just thinking out loud. 🤔

skd

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me if the MRCD cameras are in fixed location why not set-up a location marker? That way you always get a marker plus alert.

Just thinking out loud. 🤔
Probably it's not just you, a lot of people would do it but the intention of my test was to explore how the latest firmware would show off its reactivity against an MRCD as a radar detector itself, no matter fixed or not. Furthermore, there may exist objective reasons for counting on the rd-protection and information alone. Some detectors have no GPS or mark functionality. Or, although fixed boxes, they constantly move the content to different boxes in the region, sometimes they are empty, sometimes loaded with a camera that could be a multaradar or other type. That's why I don't want to be informed till death of a fixed spot every time I drive by and know anyway but would like to be aware if there is a radar inside and which type it is.

BaileyAB

Whats PSL? Autobahn bro, A.U.T.O.B.A.H.N.!!!!!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
From my tests 1.53 is also bad. Still misses more than 50% of encounters.

Stanley1125

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Provoked by the latest testing results by @Heywood, I decided to do a short testing today with my R1 against the nearest MRCD unit by the JENOPTIK ROBOT GmbH, Germany. I did a test there about year ago with FW 1.46 that you can remember here. Was curious if the claim in the FW update 1.53 will live up to my expectations firsthand.

I have put everything together in a single video. Three runs - half of them with K band on and MRCD on, half of them with deactivated K band and only MRCD On. I did that because my R1 reacted initially just like in this video from Australia. First K band which was long enough detection for an MRCD and then the usual mrcd announcement. I wanted too see both cases. K filter is off during all the test runs. I will not give numbers in meters but everybody is able visually to see for themselves, it is enough. Most users should keep in mind that MRCD is very hard to detect, let alone from a long distance. You should also bear in mind that this unit here is installed in a specially designed box to limit the emission into one narrow direction and that is why it is hard to be detected from the enforcement side, from the back. But if you think that MRCD is bad, think again... We've had here recently something called "Cordon M2" that is even worse than an MRCD's :D Here is the video itself I recorded for you:

Conclusions:
1. All the three detections were consistent and stable for an Uniden, even better than with FW 1.46 and caught at a longer distance.
2. Initial detection could be announced as "K band" gradually going to MRCD. But I can live with that as long as these detections are even more awesome as range than the previous ones.
3. Based on the above-mentioned sources and videos, also this report and the current results, I can admit that firmware 1.53 is the best one so far for MRCD detection by Uniden for Uniden R1 and R3. Also it is one of the best all-rounded firmwares made by Uniden for all bands.
I think I'm gonna break out my R3 and update just to see how it does in NYC and if it's better than what it was compared to my Redline 360c and the R7 since the update I might not have to take them with me and just leave my R3 in my truck in NY as it works great with the NYS Troopers and NYPD highway range wise so I'm pretty much covered and I'm a retired FDNY EMT and still active Volunteer in the Fire Department so that goes along way when it comes to getting pulled over and getting that ticket so it pisses the Trooper of more when he sees the radar detector and then he sees the ID and Tin and then here comes the long lecture we all love

skd

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna break out my R3 and update just to see how it does in NYC and if it's better than what it was compared to my Redline 360c and the R7 since the update I might not have to take them with me and just leave my R3 in my truck in NY as it works great with the NYS Troopers and NYPD highway range wise so I'm pretty much covered and I'm a retired FDNY EMT and still active Volunteer in the Fire Department so that goes along way when it comes to getting pulled over and getting that ticket so it pisses the Trooper of more when he sees the radar detector and then he sees the ID and Tin and then here comes the long lecture we all love
Good luck! Just drive carefully at the beginning until you are not confident in your results because what works well in one part of the world, may not work that well in another one. Basically things are the same but a lot of makes and many types of cameras... I like my results but how could I know if you will like yours? That is why it would be highly interesting if you come back to share your impressions. The latest FW 1.54 should be the same with a bonus for you Ka band prioritisation. For me here it doesn't make any difference as we have no Ka band.

Stanley1125

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Good luck! Just drive carefully at the beginning until you are not confident in your results because what works well in one part of the world, may not work that well in another one. Basically things are the same but a lot of makes and many types of cameras... I like my results but how could I know if you will like yours? That is why it would be highly interesting if you come back to share your impressions. The latest FW 1.54 should be the same with a bonus for you Ka band prioritisation. For me here it doesn't make any difference as we have no Ka band.
I'll be in NYC next week I know where all or most of the cameras are so I'll compare it to the one I compared the R7 with the update and my Redline 360c when I first got it and let you know what it looks like

Reactions: skd

skd

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'll be in NYC next week I know where all or most of the cameras are so I'll compare it to the one I compared the R7 with the update and my Redline 360c when I first got it and let you know what it looks like
Thank you for that. This exact MRCD camera was tested after me with an R7 by another user and results, as I know for sure by his words, were very similar to mine. We may see his video here later at some point. So, we could confidently say that with both detectors end numbers with multaradar-cd are very consistent and steady.

Stanley1125

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thank you for that. This exact MRCD camera was tested after me with an R7 by another user and results, as I know for sure by his words, were very similar to mine. We may see his video here later at some point. So, we could confidently say that with both detectors end numbers with multaradar-cd are
Post automatically merged:

This was right after the update it really surprised me

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jromjr