firmware update on r7

carrollm4468

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
HI, I have been trying to update my r7 for the last 2 updates. I purchased the product from best buy, with the very first firmware, I have tried to update it on pc and mac, and every time I download all of the files and the update and pull up the actual update application, it will never read my detector, I had tired with the detector plugged in before opening the app as well as after, I have tried it completely turned on, as well plugged in with power. Still, the detector is not read. Also have tried completely off without power, and it just never can read it. Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
try a different cable - the cable that came with my r7 did not work. or you may need to manually load the drivers

ILS27L

Show Me State
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You only need a usb data cable. No power required.
I have a pc and I plugged the R7 in with the data cable then opened the updater software after installation.
YMMV

Last edited:

carrollm4468

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Did you download the USB drivers as well?
yes i have
Post automatically merged:

You only need a usb data cable. No power required.
I have a pc and I plugged the R7 in with the data cable then opened the updater software after installation.
YMMV
Tried that too. Cheers from another Missourian

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I used to have similar problems until I narrowed it down to the cable. Bought a quality micro USB cable from Monoprice that's only about a foot long. Works every time.

ILS27L

Show Me State
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I used to have similar problems until I narrowed it down to the cable. Bought a quality micro USB cable from Monoprice that's only about a foot long. Works every time.
Yep. Took me about 3 cables before things worked. I then marked that cable.

Tried that too. Cheers from another Missourian
Cheers. Let us know if you get to try another cable and see if that works.
Will try to help as best we can. When in doubt "Restart". I'm sure you have done that.

Last edited:

aim4squirrels

Currently edging... Coming soon!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Usually micro USB cables that come in the box with cell phones are generally well made, and they are always data cables so you can connect your phone to your 'puter to transfer files.

They're starting to get a bit more rare now that USB-C has become the new standard, which I'm fine with as it's reversible, but I keep the micro USB from my wife's Samsung S6 in my nightstand labeled for the R7 upgrades.

Monoprice is most definitely the place to go for any cable needs. I don't even bother shopping anywhere else for a cable, they beat everyone for price by a mile and don't think I've ever gotten one that failed right out of the box.

They have a pretty darn good selection of tv wall mounts too, if you're ever in the market for one.

carrollm4468

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yep. Took me about 3 cables before things worked. I then marked that cable.

Cheers. Let us know if you get to try another cable and see if that works.
Will try to help as best we can. When in doubt "Restart". I'm sure you have done that.
Yes, it did work Lol, can't believe I downloaded the software like 9 times, and it was just the cable, and it was the cable it came with that didn't work, as another user said.

ILS27L

Show Me State
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Save it.....MARK it. :)
Good Job.

Jawfl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I too had some issues with the latest FW and DB updates. I used the same USB cable that I used for the FW 129 update so I knew the cable was good. What worked for me: I ended up changing from the 1.28 to the 1.27 version of the updater tool (using PC Win 10).

leesrt

Mature Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
HI, I have been trying to update my r7 for the last 2 updates. I purchased the product from best buy, with the very first firmware, I have tried to update it on pc and mac, and every time I download all of the files and the update and pull up the actual update application, it will never read my detector, I had tired with the detector plugged in before opening the app as well as after, I have tried it completely turned on, as well plugged in with power. Still, the detector is not read. Also have tried completely off without power, and it just never can read it. Thanks for the help in advance.
When you did that you messed it up. Nothing in any directions say to power the unit on while doing a firmware update. Also, can you no open multiple threads on the same topic?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwr