LIDAR AND THEIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borntoride2020

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Good morning everyone....

I know some people hate talking about lidar and radar detectors, but there are some where this is a concern.

I have been saved twice by lidar scatter with my R3, and let me tell you, it would have been a major ticket.

When something like that happens, you never forget it.

I know Jon mentioned that they hadn't tested the lidar with Theia yet.

Just wondering if that has been done yet? And is Theia going to be able to tell us which lidar gun is being used?

And please, we don't need to hear again how lidar is useless in a radar detector. We get it. lol Again, I've been saved from it..and I loved it. I had no idea the moto cop was sitting there in the shadows and would have "flown" by him.

Especially for the price point, and the fact that the lidar sensitivity can be "cranked up" all the way..I would hope it would work better than anything out there.

Again, if Theia is going to be "beyond anything out there, including legacy detectors," I would hope that lidar would be amazing as well.

Your thoughts? :)

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
It hasn’t been done yet.

Before pre-orders begin we will show everyone how Theia reacts and tests for radar and laser threats. That is when we can discuss more about it.

Regardless of how any manufacturer builds a laser detector... even the best laser detector, you need to have a laser jammer for completely protection regardless of what anyone says.

Last edited:

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you’re going to be seriously speeding in places laser enforcement is used, you need jammers. Relying on your RD for laser protection is a disaster waiting to happen. There’s a reason every advanced member here uses jammers (or at the least understands they are vulnerable to laser without them).

dyn0mitemat

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I understand why they had to, but I really wish they would have just said "nope" and completely ignored laser detection in theia.

moneychanger

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
As a follow up to what everyone has said, yes you were lucky you caught some lidar scatter with your R3. Most times you will not be so lucky. And then as you said, it could be a big donation to your local LEO organization. - Just saying.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Good morning everyone....

I know some people hate talking about lidar and radar detectors, but there are some where this is a concern.

I have been saved twice by lidar scatter with my R3, and let me tell you, it would have been a major ticket.

When something like that happens, you never forget it.

I know Jon mentioned that they hadn't tested the lidar with Theia yet.

Just wondering if that has been done yet? And is Theia going to be able to tell us which lidar gun is being used?

And please, we don't need to hear again how lidar is useless in a radar detector. We get it. lol Again, I've been saved from it..and I loved it. I had no idea the moto cop was sitting there in the shadows and would have "flown" by him.

Especially for the price point, and the fact that the lidar sensitivity can be "cranked up" all the way..I would hope it would work better than anything out there.

Again, if Theia is going to be "beyond anything out there, including legacy detectors," I would hope that lidar would be amazing as well.

Your thoughts? :)
I have tested the R3/R7 extensively against Lidar both DET and PL3 I and unless the detector takes a direct hit, by that I mean the red dot is pointing exactly on the detector(s) it will not alert to laser. Neither will alert at all to a DET direct hit never mind scatter.
Post automatically merged:

If you’re going to be seriously speeding in places laser enforcement is used, you need jammers. Relying on your RD for laser protection is a disaster waiting to happen. There’s a reason every advanced member here uses jammers (or at the least understands they are vulnerable to laser without them).
Exactly right

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
I understand why they had to, but I really wish they would have just said "nope" and completely ignored laser detection in theia.

I said the exact same thing when I had a message conversation with Jon. Why add something useless to the first real Police Radar Detector? Because buyers will go nuts if they don't especially at Theia's price point even if we know it is not protection from Lidar tickets. When the first company added it to their first RD even knowing it would not protect drivers from Lidar Tickets only as a marketing ploy, that manufacture ruined it for ever other manufacture! The simple fact that ALP and TMG sometimes don't even pick up scatter and they are thousands of times more sensitive then any RD laser detector plus are specifically designed for "LIDAR" detection, not laser detection, this should tell any driver ALL they need to know. "Laser Detection" in an RD is driving with a false sense of security, period.

Disclaimer Information for new Forum Members: And yes it DOES need to be said again just in case some General or Beginner gets the wrong idea that Laser Detectors in Radar Detectors prevent Lidar Tickets, they do not! Which is EXACTLY why they are called Laser Detectors and NOT Lidar Detectors! Notice that not one single manufacture calls it a Lidar Detector. They don't call their Radar Detectors by a generic name like RF Frequency Detectors, there is a huge reason they don't market them as Radar & Lidar Detectors. And before the flaming starts, those that actually think their RD (that doesn't even go off during most Forum Testing Meets when there vehicle is constantly getting hit in even places LEOs don't aim) saved them, only about one tenth of one percent of you were actually saved. It is usually one of a thousand other reasons why you didn't get pulled and not the alert from your RD. Remember, I said not always, but the vast majority of the time which means one should never be depending on it, especially for 15+ drivers.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have tested the R3/R7 extensively against Lidar both DET and PL3 I and unless the detector takes a direct hit, by that I mean the red dot is pointing exactly on the detector(s) it will not alert to laser. Neither will alert at all to a DET direct hit never mind scatter.
Just an FYI, the new R7 FW is supposed to fix the problems associated with detecting DET and other VPR guns. I'm not sure when/if it will be updated on the R1/R3.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score

Exactly right
Do the same against a V1G1 and post your findings. Unless it’s a gun signature issue, the V1’s optics are above all the rest at capturing scatter when you’re not the primary target. If you’re the primary target, you’re definitely screwed to a degree.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do the same against a V1G1 and post your findings. Unless it’s a gun signature issue, the V1’s optics are above all the rest at capturing scatter when you’re not the primary target. If you’re the primary target, you’re definitely screwed to a degree.
I did and you are correct. The V1 and the V2 both detect Lidar better in my tests then the R7/R3 or Max 360. Still though the Vs only alerted when I aimed within 2-3 feet of the detectors so it may be better then the Rs but you’re only going to get an alerts with a direct hit still.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
I did and you are correct. The V1 and the V2 both detect Lidar better in my tests then the R7/R3 or Max 360. Still though the Vs only alerted when I aimed within 2-3 feet of the detectors so it may be better then the Rs but you’re only going to get an alerts with a direct hit still.
I’ve picked up scatter when I wasn’t the primary target on more than one occasion. I trust the V1’s ability to warn me in situations where I’m not the target... I’m not by any means saying it’s the same as a jammer in terms of truly saving your ass, but it’s way way better than what any other manufacturer currently has on their detectors.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think Radenso has been extremely clear, they don't really care about lidar, they are only putting it for a feature check mark. They don't want superior lidar detection, and feel the vast majority of users are too stupid to know or care, and they feel it doesn't matter because you should be running parking sensors anyhow.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think all those that claim on the validity of how important Lidar detection in a radar detector is so important, need to get a Lidar gun and show us.

There’s a reason that those of us that do have Lidar guns, and multiple detectors, do not bother spending time testing Lidar radar detectors.

I’m pretty much done trying to change the point of view of those that go down that road.

If they don’t want to accept the results of those that do invest in Lidar guns, have multiple detectors to try... that’s on them to prove to the many members that do have the resources and have tried it.

Lidar testing results are restricted to “Intermediate Level” and above.

If you do want to try it. Here’s an idea:

1. Try 10 runs with one detector and 1 gun.
2. Start at 2000’. Break the course up. 2000’/1500’/1000’/500’
3. Then shoot where a Leo typically would. Front plate (center mass) then each head light.
4. Record your results.

News Flash:
You guys think that when we do Lidar jammer testing, that we do not have at least one detector along for the ride?

Those that have tested this, already know. We’re all in agreement. You never see any Advanced members argue or disagree with each other on this.

We have the guns. We have the detectors. We have the results. We know and agree... Lidar detection on a detector is nothing more than marketing hype than anything useful in the real world. It’s a ticket notifier at best. Unreliable.

Don’t take our word for it. Instead of using all that energy in trying to prove the point of it being useful..... take that energy, go invest in a Lidar gun, and prove us wrong.

Saying that “I was saves by scatter”. How do you know? How do you know you weren’t above the threshold of what the officer thought was worth his time to chase you down?

Using real world scenarios of “I think”... or “I know” is different then real testing that we do along with Lidar jammer testing.

You know... the ones where we know the guns. We know we’re the target. We know what we’re shooting at. We know the distances.

I think those banging that drum need to put their money where their mouth is. Prove us wrong. It’s not up to us. We already know. Accept it.... or prove it.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ve picked up scatter when I wasn’t the primary target on more than one occasion. I trust the V1’s ability to warn me in situations where I’m not the target... I’m not by any means saying it’s the same as a jammer in terms of truly saving your ass, but it’s way way better than what any other manufacturer currently has on their detectors.
You’re totally fooling yourself. Listen to Haywood. He knows what he’s talking about.

I think all those that claim on the validity of how important Lidar detection in a radar detector is so important, need to get a Lidar gun and show us.

There’s a reason that those of us that do have Lidar guns, and multiple detectors, do not bother spending time testing Lidar radar detectors.

I’m pretty much done trying to change the point of view of those that go down that road.

If they don’t want to accept the results of those that do invest in Lidar guns, have multiple detectors to try... that’s on them to prove to the many members that do have the resources and have tried it.

Lidar testing results are restricted to “Intermediate Level” and above.

If you do want to try it. Here’s an idea:

1. Try 10 runs with one detector and 1 gun.
2. Start at 2000’. Break the course up. 2000’/1500’/1000’/500’
3. Then shoot where a Leo typically would. Front plate (center mass) then each head light.
4. Record your results.

News Flash:
You guys think that when we do Lidar jammer testing, that we do not have at least one detector along for the ride?

Those that have tested this, already know. We’re all in agreement. You never see any Advanced members argue or disagree with each other on this.

We have the guns. We have the detectors. We have the results. We know and agree... Lidar detection on a detector is nothing more than marketing hype than anything useful in the real world. It’s a ticket notifier at best. Unreliable.

Don’t take our word for it. Instead of using all that energy in trying to prove the point of it being useful..... take that energy, go invest in a Lidar gun, and prove us wrong.

Saying that “I was saves by scatter”. How do you know? How do you know you weren’t above the threshold of what the officer thought was worth his time to chase you down?

Using real world scenarios of “I think”... or “I know” is different then real testing that we do along with Lidar jammer testing.

You know... the ones where we know the guns. We know we’re the target. We know what we’re shooting at. We know the distances.

I think those banging that drum need to put their money where their mouth is. Prove us wrong. It’s not up to us. We already know. Accept it.... or prove it.
Right on right on right on. Of course we have a radar detectors going when testing lidar. Everything you said is completely correct. You were even very nice about it so as not to hurt anyone’s feelings. LOL :)

Why people keep on insisting they get saves from lidar with detectors is beyond me. They just need to go get tested when a group gets together. Then they can see firsthand what we are talking about.

Last edited:

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Here’s a video of an ALP run vs an Ultralyte. You can hear the ALP begin jamming, and the V1 doesn’t alert to laser until a full 8 seconds after the car was first hit with laser, and the car was THE TARGET! Even then, the V1 just alerts for a short time, in what you could easily disregard as a false. Please believe us when we say RDs suck at protecting you from LIDAR.

Last edited:

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think we often confuse correlation with causation.
My RD alerted to laser, so I hit the brakes and didn't get stopped by the cop. That driver then concludes CAUSATION; the laser alert caused them to slow down in time to avoid a speeding ticket which is only possible with an extremely rare scatter save.
IMO what that driver experienced was CORRELATION; the reason for not being stopped had nothing to do with the laser alert. I've seen I/O radar hits at well over PSL where there was no stop. Did the cop want to wait for a higher speed ticket? Radar malfunction? Unclear target identification? The cop had a sudden gastrointestinal crisis? I'll never know, but the RD didn't save the day, that's certain.
Sometimes we're just plain lucky guys, and that's all it is.

MikePA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My RD alerted to laser, so I hit the brakes and didn't get stopped by the cop. That driver then concludes CAUSATION; the laser alert caused them to slow down in time to avoid a speeding ticket.

These same people would not believe the rooster crowing in the morning CAUSES the sun to come up.

Ramsjam12

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Plus knowing when to kill the Jammer

thundir

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Here’s a video of an ALP run vs an Ultralyte. You can hear the ALP begin jamming, and the V1 doesn’t alert to laser until a full 8 seconds after the car was first hit with laser, and the car was THE TARGET! Even then, the V1 just alerts for a short time, in what you could easily disregard as a false. Please believe us when we say RDs suck at protecting you from LIDAR.

Wow nice. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deathkillex