BlackVue 900x Released

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My friend you are the master of semantics. Have you ever considered writing a book on the subject? :)
Well these details matter. When I was in grad school, I was doing research on WiFi range and transmit rates and I wrote that I did my experiments "on a channel without interference" or something to that effect. What I didn't say was that the channel I was using was interference-free because it was technically illegal to use it in the US.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well these details matter. When I was in grad school, I was doing research on WiFi range and transmit rates and I wrote that I did my experiments "on a channel without interference" or something to that effect. What I didn't say was that the channel I was using was interference-free because it was technically illegal to use it in the US.
Having watched no less than six videos on the 900X and comparing them both I don’t think these details matter one bit. The changes to the 900X are so minuscule that it’s most definitely not worth upgrading. IMHO

Please understand I take zero pleasure in saying this. I’m very bummed out about it to be honest with you.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you for letting me know. :thumbsup: You could reach out to them to clarify. I wonder if they misspoke or if they were referring to just the video quality aspect. They’ve made mistakes in their videos before, but I have too, despite my best efforts. It definitely happens. Either way, we gotta make sure everyone is on the same page and we’re working with accurate info. :)
I just watched your review comparing the three Dash cams. It was awesome. I feel better about my U1000 purchase now. However I am still concerned about the chattyness of it. I did own the 800Pro before chan to the 900S. Is the U1000 “chatty” like the 800Pro? If so you can definitely mess around with the settings and quiet it down to the point where it’s more then acceptable. For instance I love how it tells you the number of impacts you had while parked unlike Blackvue.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Having watched no less than six videos on the 900X and comparing them both I don’t think these details matter one bit. The changes to the 900X are so minuscule that it’s most definitely not worth upgrading. IMHO

Please understand I take zero pleasure in saying this. I’m very bummed out about it to be honest with you.
Yeah, I dunno what to think. The 650GW-2CH has a listed operation temperature of "up to 60°C" and storage temperature of "up to 70°C". https://helpcenter.blackvue.com/hc/en-us/articles/231715288-DR650GW-2CH The 900S-2CH apparently had a high temperature cut-off of 75°C which is the exact same cut-off temperature as the 900X-2CH. But as we know, the 650GW-2CH never had problems. Which could mean several things:

(1) The 650GW-2CH produces less heat than the 900S-2CH and thus never hits its (lower) cut-off temperature. This seams feasible because there was never a reason to leave the WiFi on, nor was it cloud connected, at least in the legacy firmware.

(2) The 900S-2CH has different placement of internal components (for example, WiFi chip and CPU, which both produce heat, are close to each other) and thus the high temperature cut-off is hit more easily, even though it doesn't produce much more heat

(3) The published specs are actually wrong, and the DR650GW-2CH is actually more heat tolerant than they disclose. Or it simply didn't have a high temperature sensor in it and would just keep operating, and most of the units end up not getting damaged.

I'm just going to order a 900X-2CH and test it next summer, after my wife gets a new car. I would assume that it's been tested during the summer in Seoul, and if it survives a summer there, it should survive a summer in Florida.

Mikey94025

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Gee, I don't know why people bother making lengthy, detailed and fancy video reviews when this is all it takes to fully-evaluate a new product. :)

But I agree you're right - This product replaces the old 900S and is now their 4K dashcam offering. It's more for new Blackvue 4K dashcam customers, not for 900S owners to upgrade.

Last edited:

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Gee, I don't know why people bother making lengthy, detailed and fancy video reviews when this is all it takes to fully-evaluate a new product. :)

But I agree you're right - This product replaces the old 900S and is now their 4K dashcam offering. It's more for new Blackvue 4K dashcam customers, not for 900S owners to upgrade.
Most people get those products for free to do their fancy detailed reviews. I don’t think those people that get free product can be fully objective when doing reviews. Nothings going to change my mind about that. I would much rather take a review and the opinion of someone that paid hard earned money for it and are using it every day. That’s just how I feel about it.

mnsweeps

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
my 900s 2 ch died in heat within 14 months..I spend a lot of money to install it on my Tesla Model 3.. waste of money.

Rocket Jockey

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
What a totally major disappointment. First off it’s the exact same hardware as the 900S so no improvements there. Worse than that it’s different wiring so you will have to completely change out your wiring kit from the power source to the cameras if you want to “upgrade” to the 900X. They claim it will do better in the heat then the 900S but all they did to it was put a bunch a holes in the case. Lol. Give me a break. My 900S will overheat and shutdown in direct sunlight even if it’s only 84° outside. Lastly they make a big deal out of this LTE module/hotspot that you can purchase to work with it. According to one review I watched it only works with T-Mobile and one other carrier and the cheapest plans there is are $10 a month. That’s useless. I have a spare phone with all the bells and whistle‘s a phone providers including making phone calls, emails and everything else that I use as a hotspot now and that only cost $10 a month. I thinks it’s time to go back to Thinkware.
You Are 100% Correct!

Same Thing With the GoPro 8 That Backfired/Blew Up In Their Faces Which Led To the Release of the GoPro-9!
GoPro Hero 8 Had No Compatible Components From ALL the Previous Models! In Fact! It Went Backwards
From the Hero-7/6/& 5! Enraged the Hell Out of A Lot of Supporters Who Helped Resurrect the Company!

There Was NO NEED For Any of the Wiring Changes! Unless, Added Power Was Needed! And A New Chipset Was Installed! Which There Wasn't!...

But! There Is "1" Thing About the BlackVue That Separates' It From the Thinkware U1000! Concealability!
The Thinkware Is Too BIG! And Bulky IMO! And! Illegal In California! And Minnesota!
Where Windshield Mounts Regardless of What They Are, Are Still Illegal To Have Anything Mounted On the Windshields!

Plus! The Added Co$t of the 4G-LTE Module To the 900x Is Almost Another $200! Dumb!!!
And! No 2K Rear Camera Like the Thinkware U1000! Even NOW!

The Proper Upgrade To the BlackVue 900X Should've Been A 4K Front & Back Dash Cam!
With An Accessory Bundle of Your Choice by Region With A 5G-LTE Module Included:
Filter Is A Must In the South! And Southwest States! Especially In California! Locking Cap To Cover Up the Wires!
And As Vortex Pointed Out In His Video, Better Access To the SD Card Without Having To Pull Out Everything!
That Was An Asinine Design! Rhymes!!! 😡

Plug It! And Forget It System Is Useless Without the 4G- LTE Module!!!
That's This Part: BlackVuew-CM100 LTE External 4G LTE Module!
I Guess BlackVue Is Assuming With An LTE Module And Usage of A Cloud Account, You Won't Ever Have To
Remove the SD-Card From the Camera!

And Lastly! Everyone And Their Dogs Knew 5G Was Coming Since the End of Last Year!
BlackVue Had Plenty of Time To Implement A 5G Module!
Good Thing, T-Mobile Makes A Sim Card With 5G To Run On A 4G-LTE Device!

Again As Vortex Pointed Out In His Comparison Video, the Thinkware U1000 Doesn't Have This Option!
And To Vortex! "A W E SO M E" Video! 😃

PS: On BlackVues' Site, The LTE Module Is Made For North America: Canada! US! And Central & South America!
They Also Make An LTE Module For Europe!
The Best Thing About T-Mobile Is, It's GSM! With T-Mobile+! You Can Use Anywhere In the World! Except China!
That's Why BlackVue Chose T-Mobile!

The Underside Back End of the 4G LTE Module Has Vents Going Across the Entire Length! Last Pix!

Fallow Great Tip Vortex Gave In His Video! Take Pictures of Serial #'s Before Installing Into Vehicle!
Once In! You May Not Be Able To Get It Out! Depending On Your Install!
Use the New SanDisk 256GB MAX Endurance Dash Cam MicroSDXC C10-U3-V30 4K UHD Temperature Proof!
Updated From the SanDisk 256GB High Endurance SD Card!
And the Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB C-10-U3-V30 4K UHD MicroSDXC Memory Card!

And This Video! Very Informative;

Attachments

• BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K Dash Cam Box Front View.JPG
    BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K Dash Cam Box Front View.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K Dash Cams Front & Rear With T-Mobile 5G LTE Sim Card Top View.JPG
    BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K Dash Cams Front & Rear With T-Mobile 5G LTE Sim Card Top View.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K Dash Cams LTE Module Locking Cap Filter Sim Card.JPG
    BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K Dash Cams LTE Module Locking Cap Filter Sim Card.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • BlackVue Locking Cap And Filter.JPG
    BlackVue Locking Cap And Filter.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K Cams w-Accessories LTE-Module Locking Cap Filter.JPG
    BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K Cams w-Accessories LTE-Module Locking Cap Filter.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K Cams w-Accessories LTE-Module Locking Cap Filter Accessory Installation...JPG
    BlackVue DR900X 2CH 4K Cams w-Accessories LTE-Module Locking Cap Filter Accessory Installation...JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • BlackVue CM100 External 4G LTE Module Top View.JPG
    BlackVue CM100 External 4G LTE Module Top View.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • BlackVue CM100 External 4G LTE Module Front Vents.JPG
    BlackVue CM100 External 4G LTE Module Front Vents.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • BlackVue CM100 External 4G LTE Module Underside Vents.JPG
    BlackVue CM100 External 4G LTE Module Underside Vents.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You Are 100% Correct!

Same Thing With the GoPro 8 That Backfired/Blew Up In Their Faces Which Led To the Release of the GoPro-9!
GoPro Hero 8 Had No Compatible Components From ALL the Previous Models! In Fact! It Went Backwards
From the Hero-7/6/& 5! Enraged the Hell Out of A Lot of Supporters Who Helped Resurrect the Company!

There Was NO NEED For Any of the Wiring Changes! Unless, Added Power Was Needed! And A New Chipset Was Installed! Which There Wasn't!...

But! There Is "1" Thing About the BlackVue That Separates' It From the Thinkware U1000! Concealability!
The Thinkware Is Too BIG! And Bulky IMO! And! Illegal In California! And Minnesota!
Where Windshield Mounts Regardless of What They Are, Are Still Illegal To Have Anything Mounted On the Windshields!

Plus! The Added Co$t of the 4G-LTE Module To the 900x Is Almost Another $200! Dumb!!!
And! No 2K Rear Camera Like the Thinkware U1000! Even NOW!

The Proper Upgrade To the BlackVue 900X Should've Been A 4K Front & Back Dash Cam!
With An Accessory Bundle of Your Choice by Region With A 5G-LTE Module Included:
Filter Is A Must In the South! And Southwest States! Especially In California! Locking Cap To Cover Up the Wires!
And As Vortex Pointed Out In His Video, Better Access To the SD Card Without Having To Pull Out Everything!
That Was An Asinine Design! Rhymes!!! 😡

Plug It! And Forget It System Is Useless Without the 4G- LTE Module!!!
That's This Part: BlackVuew-CM100 LTE External 4G LTE Module!
I Guess BlackVue Is Assuming With An LTE Module And Usage of A Cloud Account, You Won't Ever Have To
Remove the SD-Card From the Camera!

And Lastly! Everyone And Their Dogs Knew 5G Was Coming Since the End of Last Year!
BlackVue Had Plenty of Time To Implement A 5G Module!
Good Thing, T-Mobile Makes A Sim Card With 5G To Run On A 4G-LTE Device!

Again As Vortex Pointed Out In His Comparison Video, the Thinkware U1000 Doesn't Have This Option!
And To Vortex! "A W E SO M E" Video! 😃

PS: On BlackVues' Site, The LTE Module Is Made For North America: Canada! US! And Central & South America!
They Also Make An LTE Module For Europe!
The Best Thing About T-Mobile Is, It's GSM! With T-Mobile+! You Can Use Anywhere In the World! Except China!
That's Why BlackVue Chose T-Mobile!

The Underside Back End of the 4G LTE Module Has Vents Going Across the Entire Length! Last Pix!

Fallow Great Tip Vortex Gave In His Video! Take Pictures of Serial #'s Before Installing Into Vehicle!
Once In! You May Not Be Able To Get It Out! Depending On Your Install!
Use the New SanDisk 256GB MAX Endurance Dash Cam MicroSDXC C10-U3-V30 4K UHD Temperature Proof!
Updated From the SanDisk 256GB High Endurance SD Card!
And the Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB C-10-U3-V30 4K UHD MicroSDXC Memory Card!

And This Video! Very Informative;
I just returned the Thinkware 1000U. The cloud did not work. It would not function. I spent hours on the phone with technical support. Those guys are really great and they tried. They actually felt extremely bad because they knew it didn’t work. A whole year this stupid camera has been out and they can’t get it to work. As far as I’m concerned that means their advertisement is a lie. They claim to have the cloud, well it doesn’t work. So I’m stuck with my Blackvue. I doubt I’ll upgrade to the X. There’s just not enough improvements to justify it. It’s basically not really an upgrade. I would gladly pay $1000 for a really good dash camera that had an extremely well working cloud with the best video footage and didn’t overheat. Unfortunately everybody wants to build cheap crap. What a disappointment.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
FWIW, the U1000’s cloud is a PITA to set up, I struggled with it too, and it’s not as fully featured as Blackvue’s, but if you can get it configured, it does work.

Rocket Jockey

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I Agree With Yah Patton250!

Unfortunately For Me, My 2021 GMC Yukon Denali XL (7)-Camera System Doesn't Work With An Interface
When the Truck Isn't Running! The ECU-Engine Control Unit! ECM-Engine Control Module!
And PCM-Powertrain Control Module Are Wrapped Up Into "1" Computer! Can't Bypass To Run the 7-Cameras
That Are Operable Only While Driving! or, In Smart Parking Mode With the Ignition On!

Another Asinine Design by GM!

So, I Did What Vortex Did! I Have (3) DR900X Dash Cams Being Mounted Into My Yukon Denali XL!
1: Front Dash Cam 4K! 1080P Mini-Cam Left Rear Side Glass Panel!
2: Rear Dash Cam 4K! 1080P Mini-Cam Right Rear Side Glass Panel!
3: Front Passenger Pillar 4K Facing Drivers Window! 1080P Mini-Cam Mounted On Rear Door Top Wing!
I'll Have A Split Camera Rear View Recording From Behind My Denali!

Well! Vortex! RDForum! Startup For the New Year of A Mobile Security Camera System For Our Vehicles?!!!
I'm In!!!

5G Next Gen Prepares For AI Super-5G/6G!
And 8K Cameras ALL Around!
Who Needs 4K???!...

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
FWIW, the U1000’s cloud is a PITA to set up, I struggled with it too, and it’s not as fully featured as Blackvue’s, but if you can get it configured, it does work.
In my opinion it’s criminal that they even advertise that they have the cloud if it has pretty much a 100% failure. One year into it and they can’t fix this? Their engineers are pretty pathetic. I don’t know why Blackvue says their cameras are 4K. That’s the most pathetic 4K I’ve ever seen of any video. That’s why I was so looking forward to the U1000. Once again these manufactures ship give options to have a premium dash cam system rather than build them cheap for one budget category. Cheap things aren’t high quality and high quality things aren’t cheap.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In my opinion it’s criminal that they even advertise that they have the cloud if it has pretty much a 100% failure.
There's a difference between something not working and you not being able to get it working.

It reminds me of people struggling to update Uniden detectors. Is it possible? Yes. Do lots of people struggle to update and sometimes find they're unable to do it? Absolutely. Should it be easier and smoother? Definitely.
One year into it and they can’t fix this? Their engineers are pretty pathetic. I don’t know why Blackvue says their cameras are 4K. That’s the most pathetic 4K I’ve ever seen of any video.
They're saying they're 4K because they're actually 4K. 4K tells you pixel count, not image quality. It's similar to hearing that a car is a V8. That tells you cylinder count, not how much hp/torque it produces.

Different V8's will produce different power levels and it's exactly the same with 4K dashcams. V8's tend to produce more power than 4-cyl's, and it's the same with 4K dashcams. Even the Blackvue DR900S/X gives you better video quality than 1080p dashcams, despite their quality not being on par with the competition.

Speaking of which, did you know there's a lot of dashcams out there that advertise 4K quality, but don't truly offer 4K? You'll see this commonly in ~$100 dashcams whose sensors are only capable of 2K recording, but then they artificially upsample the video to 4K afterwards. This doesn't add any additional detail or quality. It's just a way to falsely advertise 4K. True 4K dashcams have 8MP sensors. Fake 4K dashcams have 4-5MP sensors.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Speaking of which, did you know there's a lot of dashcams out there that advertise 4K quality, but don't truly offer 4K? You'll see this commonly in ~$100 dashcams whose sensors are only capable of 2K recording, but then they artificially upsample the video to 4K afterwards. This doesn't add any additional detail or quality. It's just a way to falsely advertise 4K. True 4K dashcams have 8MP sensors. Fake 4K dashcams have 4-5MP sensors.

Wow, thanks for that article. My father was asking me about dashcams and I just forwarded that to him. I had no idea that there were cams out there that output 4K video but whose sensors aren't even capable of that resolution. That's worse than just misleading, it's also a huge waste of space on the memory cards.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
There's a difference between something not working and you not being able to get it working.

It reminds me of people struggling to update Uniden detectors. Is it possible? Yes. Do lots of people struggle to update and sometimes find they're unable to do it? Absolutely. Should it be easier and smoother? Definitely.

They're saying they're 4K because they're actually 4K. 4K tells you pixel count, not image quality. It's similar to hearing that a car is a V8. That tells you cylinder count, not how much hp/torque it produces.

Different V8's will produce different power levels and it's exactly the same with 4K dashcams. V8's tend to produce more power than 4-cyl's, and it's the same with 4K dashcams. Even the Blackvue DR900S/X gives you better video quality than 1080p dashcams, despite their quality not being on par with the competition.

I don’t really understand your condescending remark Ariel. What part of me spending hours on the phone with technical support did you not understand? What part of them telling me that they realize it doesn’t work with Apple devices did you not understand? They told me that their cloud is not working with Apple devices. They apologized profusely and promised to contact me in the future when they get their act together. You’re not saying that their technical support team is lying to me or doesn’t know what they are talking about are you? Is there some other secret information about their products to which you are only privy?

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don’t really understand your condescending remark Ariel. What part of me spending hours on the phone with technical support did you not understand? What part of them telling me that they realize it doesn’t work with Apple devices did you not understand? They told me that their cloud is not working with Apple devices. They apologized profusely and promised to contact me in the future when they get their act together. You’re not saying that their technical support team is lying to me or doesn’t know what they are talking about are you? Is there some other secret information about their products to which you are only privy?
I don't think Ariel meant to be condescending. The bolded text is new information that you didn't give anyone until now. No one can read your mind, and no one can understand what you don't tell them.

Admitting that it doesn't work (at all) with certain devices as popular as Apple's devices is pretty bad. I'm at least somewhat sympathetic on the other hand if it works but requires jumping through a few hoops on certain configurations because supporting all different types of configurations is always a pain in the ass for software engineers. You might think you tested them all and then there's one or two that come back to bite you because you didn't cover them in your test cases.

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not trying to be condescending, but I'm telling you that I've set it up with an iPhone and use it with my iPhone. It does work with iOS and so yes, what tech support told you is incorrect. You've been given bad information, not that that makes Thinkware's cloud any easier to set up and so I'm not arguing with your personal experience and difficulties in trying to set it up.

Besides it being a PITA to set up, it also doesn't have as many features as Blackvue's, its livestream delay is around 15ish sec behind realtime, etc.

Nevertheless, given that I have it working with my Apple device (and I had to reach out to tech support for help too), that's why I said earlier that it can work, even if you haven't been able to get it working. I understand you've had challenges with it and there's confusion thanks to tech support, but either way I hope that eventually you're able to get it working too.

You've probably already seen this, but here's a tutorial on how to set up the U1000's cloud with iOS:

Last edited:

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not trying to be condescending, but I'm telling you that I've set it up with an iPhone and use it with my iPhone. It does work with iOS and so yes, what tech support told you is incorrect. You've been given bad information, not that that makes Thinkware's cloud any easier to set up and so I'm not arguing with your personal experience and difficulties in trying to set it up.

Besides it being a PITA to set up, it also doesn't have as many features as Blackvue's, its livestream delay is around 15ish sec behind realtime, etc.

Nevertheless, given that I have it working with my Apple device (and I had to reach out to tech support for help too), that's why I said earlier that it can work, even if you haven't been able to get it working. I understand you've had challenges with it and there's confusion thanks to tech support, but either way I hope that eventually you're able to get it working too.
I thought it was quite easy to set up. The directions were very clear and the process was simple. At the end of the day it just didn’t work. I waited two weeks for them to update the app and we went through the same problem. It didn’t work. What I’m trying to tell you is that it didn’t function. You are supposed to be able to login and remotely live view the camera. That part did not function. It was easily set up as a hotspot but that does no good if the camera will not notify your remote phone of incidents and allow you to live view. It did not function. When I discussed this with the technical support they acknowledged that they had problems and that it didn’t work with the vast majority of their clients. They didn’t say I was making a mistake or they weren’t instructing me properly on to set it up they said it didn’t work. Now my friend I don’t know how to be any more clearer than that.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hklevi