BlackVue 900x Released

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My friend you are the master of semantics. Have you ever considered writing a book on the subject? :)
Well these details matter. When I was in grad school, I was doing research on WiFi range and transmit rates and I wrote that I did my experiments "on a channel without interference" or something to that effect. What I didn't say was that the channel I was using was interference-free because it was technically illegal to use it in the US.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well these details matter. When I was in grad school, I was doing research on WiFi range and transmit rates and I wrote that I did my experiments "on a channel without interference" or something to that effect. What I didn't say was that the channel I was using was interference-free because it was technically illegal to use it in the US.
Having watched no less than six videos on the 900X and comparing them both I don’t think these details matter one bit. The changes to the 900X are so minuscule that it’s most definitely not worth upgrading. IMHO

Please understand I take zero pleasure in saying this. I’m very bummed out about it to be honest with you.

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you for letting me know. :thumbsup: You could reach out to them to clarify. I wonder if they misspoke or if they were referring to just the video quality aspect. They’ve made mistakes in their videos before, but I have too, despite my best efforts. It definitely happens. Either way, we gotta make sure everyone is on the same page and we’re working with accurate info. :)
I just watched your review comparing the three Dash cams. It was awesome. I feel better about my U1000 purchase now. However I am still concerned about the chattyness of it. I did own the 800Pro before chan to the 900S. Is the U1000 “chatty” like the 800Pro? If so you can definitely mess around with the settings and quiet it down to the point where it’s more then acceptable. For instance I love how it tells you the number of impacts you had while parked unlike Blackvue.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Having watched no less than six videos on the 900X and comparing them both I don’t think these details matter one bit. The changes to the 900X are so minuscule that it’s most definitely not worth upgrading. IMHO

Please understand I take zero pleasure in saying this. I’m very bummed out about it to be honest with you.
Yeah, I dunno what to think. The 650GW-2CH has a listed operation temperature of "up to 60°C" and storage temperature of "up to 70°C". https://helpcenter.blackvue.com/hc/en-us/articles/231715288-DR650GW-2CH The 900S-2CH apparently had a high temperature cut-off of 75°C which is the exact same cut-off temperature as the 900X-2CH. But as we know, the 650GW-2CH never had problems. Which could mean several things:

(1) The 650GW-2CH produces less heat than the 900S-2CH and thus never hits its (lower) cut-off temperature. This seams feasible because there was never a reason to leave the WiFi on, nor was it cloud connected, at least in the legacy firmware.

(2) The 900S-2CH has different placement of internal components (for example, WiFi chip and CPU, which both produce heat, are close to each other) and thus the high temperature cut-off is hit more easily, even though it doesn't produce much more heat

(3) The published specs are actually wrong, and the DR650GW-2CH is actually more heat tolerant than they disclose. Or it simply didn't have a high temperature sensor in it and would just keep operating, and most of the units end up not getting damaged.

I'm just going to order a 900X-2CH and test it next summer, after my wife gets a new car. I would assume that it's been tested during the summer in Seoul, and if it survives a summer there, it should survive a summer in Florida.

Mikey94025

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Gee, I don't know why people bother making lengthy, detailed and fancy video reviews when this is all it takes to fully-evaluate a new product. :)

But I agree you're right - This product replaces the old 900S and is now their 4K dashcam offering. It's more for new Blackvue 4K dashcam customers, not for 900S owners to upgrade.

Last edited:

Patton250

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Gee, I don't know why people bother making lengthy, detailed and fancy video reviews when this is all it takes to fully-evaluate a new product. :)

But I agree you're right - This product replaces the old 900S and is now their 4K dashcam offering. It's more for new Blackvue 4K dashcam customers, not for 900S owners to upgrade.
Most people get those products for free to do their fancy detailed reviews. I don’t think those people that get free product can be fully objective when doing reviews. Nothings going to change my mind about that. I would much rather take a review and the opinion of someone that paid hard earned money for it and are using it every day. That’s just how I feel about it.

mnsweeps

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
my 900s 2 ch died in heat within 14 months..I spend a lot of money to install it on my Tesla Model 3.. waste of money.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deathkillex