BlackVue 900x Released

Patton250

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What a totally major disappointment. First off it’s the exact same hardware as the 900S so no improvements there. Worse than that it’s different wiring so you will have to completely change out your wiring kit from the power source to the cameras if you want to “upgrade” to the 900X. They claim it will do better in the heat then the 900S but all they did to it was put a bunch a holes in the case. Lol. Give me a break. My 900S will overheat and shutdown in direct sunlight even if it’s only 84° outside. Lastly they make a big deal out of this LTE module/hotspot that you can purchase to work with it. According to one review I watched it only works with T-Mobile and one other carrier and the cheapest plans there is are $10 a month. That’s useless. I have a spare phone with all the bells and whistle‘s a phone providers including making phone calls, emails and everything else that I use as a hotspot now and that only cost $10 a month. I thinks it’s time to go back to Thinkware.

Reactions: F15

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s mostly the case, though there are some internal changes as well to help with the cooling in addition to the case holes. :)

The Thinkware U1000 is great too. Better video quality, long term parking mode, and better reliability. Its cloud features suck compared to Blackvue’s and the voice notifications are stupidly chatty to where you’ll want to turn them off altogether.

None of them out there are perfect, but still.

The DR900X isn’t a huge compelling upgrade for most people I think over the DR900S, but it is an improvement nonetheless over their previous flagship, especially for people who want to buy a brand new dashcam straight out of the gate.

STS-134

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What a totally major disappointment. First off it’s the exact same hardware as the 900S so no improvements there. Worse than that it’s different wiring so you will have to completely change out your wiring kit from the power source to the cameras if you want to “upgrade” to the 900X. They claim it will do better in the heat then the 900S but all they did to it was put a bunch a holes in the case.
What, really? Source for this?

Also, what does the new wiring look like?

Patton250

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s mostly the case, though there are some internal changes as well to help with the cooling in addition to the case holes. :)

The Thinkware U1000 is great too. Better video quality, long term parking mode, and better reliability. Its cloud features suck compared to Blackvue’s and the voice notifications are stupidly chatty to where you’ll want to turn them off altogether.

None of them out there are perfect, but still.

The DR900X isn’t a huge compelling upgrade for most people I think over the DR900S, but it is an improvement nonetheless over their previous flagship, especially for people who want to buy a brand new dashcam straight out of the gate.
I just ordered the U 1000. I hope the cloud doesn’t suck because I will use it all the time. Cording to Thinkware so long as I have it connected to a hotspot it will notify me through the app if I have an impact and send me a video. That’s the main reason why I use the cloud. If this does not work well I will send it right back to Best Buy. I’m not exactly overwhelmed with Blackvuses cloud either. However it does do a good job notifying me when the camera is overheating and shutting off which it will do 25 times inside of two hours. LOL
Post automatically merged:

What, really? Source for this?

Also, what does the new wiring look like?
I’ve watched several videos on it including one from Blackboxmycar. That’s where I got all the information from. The thing that sealed the deal for me to not get the 900X was the fact it uses different wiring.

dcova

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I recently replaced my Blackvue dashcam from the DR750S-2CH to the RD750-2CH LTE. I live in Florida, the Sunshine State, so it gets very hot here. Both of my 750 models have been very reliable, never overheated. I have avoided the 900 series models due to the many many many reports I read about overheating. I will continue to avoid the 900 model even if Blackvue adds liquid cooling, mega radiators, dual fans, and an ice chest with a cold brewsky.

Patton250

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced my Blackvue dashcam from the DR750S-2CH to the RD750-2CH LTE. I live in Florida, the Sunshine State, so it gets very hot here. Both of my 750 models have been very reliable, never overheated. I have avoided the 900 series models due to the many many many reports I read about overheating. I will continue to avoid the 900 model even if Blackvue adds liquid cooling, mega radiators, dual fans, and an ice chest with a cold brewsky.
So you haven’t hooked up to the cloud the whole time and the app on your phone you carry with you so you get live notifications? If you don’t have it set up like that then you would not have any idea if it overheated and shut off.

STS-134

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the U 1000. I hope the cloud doesn’t suck because I will use it all the time. Cording to Thinkware so long as I have it connected to a hotspot it will notify me through the app if I have an impact and send me a video. That’s the main reason why I use the cloud. If this does not work well I will send it right back to Best Buy. I’m not exactly overwhelmed with Blackvuses cloud either. However it does do a good job notifying me when the camera is overheating and shutting off which it will do 25 times inside of two hours. LOL

I’ve watched several videos on it including one from Blackboxmycar. That’s where I got all the information from. The thing that sealed the deal for me to not get the 900X was the fact it uses different wiring.
Just watched @Vortex video

Apparently they did raise the maximum temperature by 10°C in addition to providing better cooling.

At least they reused the important cable, which is the front to rear cable. That one was a royal pain in the ass to install because my car has a lift gate. The power cable? Meh, that one's easy to replace. But I don't really see a need to upgrade since my 900S never has overheating issues (I don't park in the sun, nor do I use parking mode).

So you haven’t hooked up to the cloud the whole time and the app on your phone you carry with you so you get live notifications? If you don’t have it set up like that then you would not have any idea if it overheated and shut off.
Doesn't it show "HT" on the bottom of the video before it shuts down?

Patton250

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Just watched @Vortex video

Apparently they did raise the maximum temperature by 10°C in addition to providing better cooling.

At least they reused the important cable, which is the front to rear cable. That one was a royal pain in the ass to install because my car has a lift gate. The power cable? Meh, that one's easy to replace. But I don't really see a need to upgrade since my 900S never has overheating issues (I don't park in the sun, nor do I use parking mode).

Doesn't it show "HT" on the bottom of the video before it shuts down?
Well if you don’t use parking mode then it can’t overheat and shut off. LOL. They base that 10°C cutoff on the little holes. Nothing they did to the hardware. And it’s just as big as a pain in the ass to replace the power cord because you still have to rewire the whole thing. Its stupid.

dcova

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My latest Blackvue includes integrated LTE and my installation includes a Power Magic Pro for the parking mode feature. Therefore, I do use the parking mode and cloud service. I subscribe to the Blackvue cloud service. My older Blackvue, the DR750S-2CH, was also connected to my Power Magic Pro and WIFI for the parking mode and cloud service. I have never experience a dashcam shutdown as I have read by others about their overheating problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed for continue reliability from my 750.

Patton250

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My latest Blackvue includes integrated LTE and my installation includes a Power Magic Pro for the parking mode feature. Therefore, I do use the parking mode and cloud service. I subscribe to the Blackvue cloud service. My older Blackvue, the DR750S-2CH, was also connected to my Power Magic Pro and WIFI for the parking mode and cloud service. I have never experience a dashcam shutdown as I have read by others about their overheating problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed for continue reliability from my 750.
I only know about my overheat and shut downs because I’m connected to the cloud and I have the app. It will notify me when it happens. One of the most important features of a dash cam is to let me know if someone hits my car in a parking lot while I’m in a store or a hotel. It very well can’t be doing that if it keeps shutting down because it’s warmer than 84°F outside.

STS-134

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if you don’t use parking mode then it can’t overheat and shut off. LOL. They base that 10°C cutoff on the little holes. Nothing they did to the hardware. And it’s just as big as a pain in the ass to replace the power cord because you still have to rewire the whole thing. Its stupid.
Well actually the biggest issue I have with this thing is that the parking mode is controlled by software. That's incredibly annoying because I'd have to connect to the camera and reconfigure it in order to enable or disable parking mode. It's a lot easier for me to just flip a switch on the Power Magic Pro.

Patton250

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Well actually the biggest issue I have with this thing is that the parking mode is controlled by software. That's incredibly annoying because I'd have to connect to the camera and reconfigure it in order to enable or disable parking mode. It's a lot easier for me to just flip a switch on the Power Magic Pro.
That’s cool. I know what you mean. That doesn’t bother me too much. There are lots of things I actually like about this camera. I hope I have better luck with the 1000 U

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Again, that’s not the case. The image sensor and video quality may be the same, yes, but there have been some hardware changes to help with cooling. This info comes straight from Blackvue. I’m not sure what source you’re referencing that suggests otherwise. I’m assuming the changes were made while they were adding Bluetooth, a new MicroUSB port, changing the LED’s, modifying the power input components, etc.

Regardless of what changes they did or did not make, IMHO ultimately what matters is how hot it can get before it shuts down. I haven’t seen any testing done yet, but hopefully somebody does some soon and we’ll find out for sure.

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My blackview died because of heat... They can shove it... Never again... Worst $200 I've ever spent... I'll go with cheapies from now on.

STS-134

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@Patton250 what source gave you the info that they made no hardware changes except for new ventilation holes? I just finished going through the blackboxmycar video and they didn't mention anything like that. Neither did Vortex's video.

Patton250

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Again, that’s not the case. The image sensor and video quality may be the same, yes, but there have been some hardware changes to help with cooling. This info comes straight from Blackvue. I’m not sure what source you’re referencing that suggests otherwise. I’m assuming the changes were made while they were adding Bluetooth, a new MicroUSB port, changing the LED’s, modifying the power input components, etc.

Regardless of what changes they did or did not make, IMHO ultimately what matters is how hot it can get before it shuts down. I haven’t seen any testing done yet, but hopefully somebody does some soon and we’ll find out for sure.
I apologize my friend. I did not watch your review. The review I watched came from Blackboxmycar and they said there was absolutely zero hardware changes in their video. Sounds like they were wrong. However I’d be willing to bet a very large sum of money that if I put a 900X in my car, parked it outside in the sunlight like I normally do and if it was 84°F or above it would overheat and shut down just like the 900S. I pray the Thinkware 1000U doesn’t do that. If it does I will return it.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I apologize my friend. I did not watch your review. The review I watched came from Blackboxmycar and they said there was absolutely zero hardware changes in their video. Sounds like they were wrong. However I’d be willing to bet a very large sum of money that if I put a 900X in my car, parked it outside in the sunlight like I normally do and if it was 84°F or above it would overheat and shut down just like the 900S. I pray the Thinkware 1000U doesn’t do that. If it does I will return it.

Thank you for letting me know. :thumbsup: You could reach out to them to clarify. I wonder if they misspoke or if they were referring to just the video quality aspect. They’ve made mistakes in their videos before, but I have too, despite my best efforts. It definitely happens. Either way, we gotta make sure everyone is on the same page and we’re working with accurate info. :)

Patton250

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@Patton250 what source gave you the info that they made no hardware changes except for new ventilation holes? I just finished going through the blackboxmycar video and they didn't mention anything like that. Neither did Vortex's video.
At 2:34

D675033C-0FFD-48A7-B0DC-EC0160B94B2A.png

STS-134

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
He said the technical specs (i.e. everything on that chart) are identical. Same CMOS sensor, same Sony STARVIS sensor, same viewing angle, same encoding, etc. He didn't say that all of the internal components are identical. In fact, the internal components are certainly NOT identical because one of them has a USB port on the side for the LTE modem and the other does not. Also, even if the WiFi chips and CPUs have identical performance specifications, they could have been binned for higher temperature tolerances. You know, like when you buy a CPU for your computer, the "faster" chips are often manufactured in the same way as the "slower" ones, but due to slight variations, some of them tolerate running at higher frequencies better than others. So, Intel (or whoever the chip maker is) will test them after manufacture, figure out which ones tolerate faster operation, higher temperatures, etc., and mark up the price on those.

Last edited:

Patton250

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
He said the technical specs (i.e. everything on that chart) are identical. Same CMOS sensor, same Sony STARVIS sensor, same viewing angle, same encoding, etc. He didn't say that all of the internal components are identical. In fact, the internal components are certainly NOT identical because one of them has a USB port on the side for the LTE modem and the other does not. Also, even if the WiFi chips and CPUs have identical performance specifications, they could have been binned for higher temperature tolerances. You know, like when you buy a CPU for your computer, the "faster" chips are often manufactured in the same way as the "slower" ones, but due to slight variations, some of them tolerate running at higher frequencies better than others. So, Intel (or whoever the chip maker is) will test them after manufacture, figure out which ones tolerate faster operation, higher temperatures, etc., and mark up the price on those.
My friend you are the master of semantics. Have you ever considered writing a book on the subject? :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i90don90