Why run both Highway Radar and Waze for police alerts?

danpass

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I use V1v1 with V1 Driver and then Waze.

FL HP seems to move a lot though lately. You finally reach the popo location but the V1 never went off and no popo there.

This always concerns me lol as I then consider that the popo has moved on further down the road and it hasn’t been reported yet.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I use V1v1 with V1 Driver and then Waze.

FL HP seems to move a lot though lately. You finally reach the popo location but the V1 never went off and no popo there.

This always concerns me lol as I then consider that the popo has moved on further down the road and it hasn’t been reported yet.

...or they moved up the road and you already passed them unnoticed. Ha.

Jason Diaz

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
I had an encounter last week where Google maps alerted me and both Highway Radar AND JBV1 (I run both on separate cell networks) were silent.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I had an encounter last week where Google maps alerted me and both Highway Radar AND JBV1 (I run both on separate cell networks) were silent.
The second two options are fed by Waze, owned by Google, but not exactly in sync at all times but should be. Interesting it happened.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm doing a little research on this now and back in 2019, the Waze CEO confirmed that Waze and Google Maps don't share information.

Perhaps that's changed since, but it would explain why we're not seeing as many alerts in GM that we do in Waze.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm doing a little research on this now and back in 2019, the Waze CEO confirmed that Waze and Google Maps don't share information.

Perhaps that's changed since, but it would explain why we're not seeing as many alerts in GM that we do in Waze.
Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. If they wanted to they could easily figure it out.

anselansel

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Do you bother running both Waze and Highway Radar for police alerts or just Highway Radar? Lately I use only Highway Radar for alerts and Google Maps for navigation. It’s just my preference to run Google Maps over Waze for navigation. Since I am running Highway Radar for alerts why bother also running Waze? What is your preference?
I rely on my r7. Not the charity of strangers hopefully reporting things. I run waze as a backup

dcova

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I should have been explicit in my initial post that Highway Radar is a smart phone app not a radar detector. My apologies for the confusion to those member not familiar with the Highway Radar product. I should never assume.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I rely on my r7. Not the charity of strangers hopefully reporting things. I run waze as a backup
If you run Waze as a backup, you would find JBV1 in Standalone mode or Highway Radar to be an even better backup. :) Waze warns of an LEO at 0.5 miles. We can get those kinds of warnings at 5 or 10 miles if we want, plus a whole lot more.

StickBit

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

It wouldn't be a Google product if there wasn't another redundant version of it. G Maps + Waze, Duo + Meet, Messages + Chat, Files + Files. Hopefully they can just absorb Waze into Google Maps someday, but I doubt that will ever happen

Fatbastard

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Nah... knowing Google they will just give up one rather than trying to make it better.

Randomdude421

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
This is a much needed thread and extremely important to additional security. . waze police alerts are basically zilch..they used to be good they suck now. I don't know what Sabre is but if Highway Radar on iOS somehow is able to obtain information from Waze with much sooner alerts with additional features I would literally spend probably $40 for it.

beachump

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
On my recent 800 mile trip with JBV1/Waze on one phone and HR on another, half the time real cops showed up on both and the other halve it was one app or the other. Next I need to get a dedicated phone logged into waze under my "waze royalty" account to see if it makes a difference. I'm dissapointed that I'm unable to delete "not there" on waze.

pathfinder11

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I run waze and R7 but it seems waze is becoming less efficient. In FL imo the police are deleting reports of their locations as well as driving down 95 or the turnpike and hitting the report button every 1/2 - 1 Mile creating constant reports.

beachump

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Who else is a "crowdsource" besides waze, I'll try to give as many reports as possible.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
For the most part, Waze is the only large scale data source at this time in lots of cases. There's Google Maps which has been said to both be using Waze's data and not using Waze's data. (I wonder where that stands right now)

The Waze client running on user's phones is somewhat to blame for less than idea operation at times.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49