R7 FW 133.141.113 - New K Filter Discussion

PHILBERT

left lane, behind your [email protected]$$ ugly SUV_ MOVE OVER!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Spent some more drive time behind a Honda CR-V yesterday, and the 24.168 kept nailing my R7. No double beep with silence after that. I did mute it, and it stayed muted through several on/off cycles, but eventually alerted again. :(

On the plus side, this morning I spotted another white Insight (like mine) on the road and was setup to follow them when they made it through a yellow I didn't get to in time. After a "fresh green", I attempted to catch up to them in a 35 zone when K Band alerted 24.177. Another BSM? It got stronger to the point I knew it was the real deal. I "adjusted" and had tons of time before the LEO passed me going the other direction. Once past, Rear K Mute muted the alert, but I could see the signal for quite a distance. That was a save. That is good! I eventually caught up to the white Insight and got a look at the driver. There are quite a few white Insight's showing up in my area. Different drivers too. Cool! :cool:

Phil

Electro

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
What are your K settings.
Older Escalades have really been shut down for me on 129 and 133.
Running K Narrow and filters all
I followed Vortex’s recommended 133 settings with the exception of 100% sensitivity instead of 50%. All K filters, TSF on.

fishing66

Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, things haven't been as rosy as they first appeared. Today I was stuck in a 10-mile construction zone that had solid white lines and concrete barriers the whole way and a 50 mph limit. There was a BSM polluter in the pack that had the R7 going bonkers....full tilt, back down to one bar, full tilt, five bars etc etc. This was not a speed sign. As always, K band came from Satan's anus.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@fishing66 , sounds like a Pacifica. I find those to be the most annoying, when k block is enabled anyway. There are some semi units and RVs that are extremely annoying too but thankfully they're rarer.

NoahWL

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Got some more time to drive around with v133 including some highway time. Overall I don't notice much difference as far as BSM goes versus v129. I'm back to 40% K band, 80% rear balance. Hondas still suck but I'd assume with K Block available they didn't spend much time there. There's probably some vehicles that it's now filtering out and I just haven't noticed but v133 isn't a game changer vs v129 or anything. I do frequently pass cars with the BSM indicator on in their mirrors without any falsing but that happened before as well. I'll try to keep better track of which cars I notice it filtering in the future.

fishing66

Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Today, same road, same results. Strong BSM punch-throughs. Oh well.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just moments ago, after changing my K from Narrow to Extended for a test drive, this Jeep POS gives me the worst BSM in my history, full bars at 500 meters behind. 24.052

PXL_20201030_154956747.jpg

cihkal

♟️ WWG1WGA ⛈️
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just moments ago, after changing my K from Narrow to Extended for a test drive, this Jeep POS gives me the worst BSM in my history, full bars at 500 meters behind. 24.052

View attachment 163137
Now that's interesting, and I'm also sorry.

I wonder if Uniden has changed their approach to filtering which may lead to some of these falses. This one I've not seen before!

Can't knock em for trying, if they are tweaking the method. A bummer though, cause this will cause ya to crap your pants!

G39x

Huntin' Rabbits
Intermediate User
Reaction score

View attachment 163137
City or 40%? If either of those two, that would send brown streaks instantly if it comes up like I/O.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Highway mode. Was a quick ramp up but not I/O.
I have been intentionally driving around the last two days on K Extended and Highway to find BSMs.
This morning I ventured out of my regular commute hours and route and found this gem.
Glad I can run Narrow 99% of the time.
K wide on R7 and R3 would miss this BSM.
But Extended finds it and some Escalades as well.
The Pro M and R7 both pick up certain Escalade BSM years when on the wisest K range setting.
I can't believe how strong this one was, and it would ramp up and down as the vehicle changed its positioning ahead of me.
Followed it for 2 km and down my street.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The Pro M and R7 both pick up certain Escalade BSM years when on the wisest K range setting.
Can you elaborate on this "wisest" setting for K-band? My K-band detections could use some more wisdom...j/k of course...lol.

Last edited:

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Glad I can run Narrow 99% of the time.
K wide on R7 and R3 would miss this BSM.
But Extended finds it and some Escalades as well..
Do you mean K narrow would miss this BSM? Wide goes down to
.050 so .052 would still hit.

I too have been running extended for the heck of it, however, I have not had anything go below the normal wide range that extended is picking up. I still say for me 133 is no better than 129 with the problem BSM's, sometimes it seems worse. If anything, now that I've had more time with the R7 I am starting to think the sensitivities are tweaked a little bit differently on 133, not necessarily more or less in the total scheme of things but different percentages.

The problem with BSM, is there's no consistent day to day to truly compare them to...

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this "wisest" setting for K-band? My K-band detections could use some more wisdom...j/k of course...lol.
Well I did just work 23 hours straight and this was my heading of for sleep post. LOL.
Detectors set up to pick up K below 23.060 get an extra dose of music....
Post automatically merged:

Do you mean K narrow would miss this BSM? Wide goes down to
.050 so .052 would still hit.

I too have been running extended for the heck of it, however, I have not had anything go below the normal wide range that extended is picking up. I still say for me 133 is no better than 129 with the problem BSM's, sometimes it seems worse. If anything, now that I've had more time with the R7 I am starting to think the sensitivities are tweaked a little bit differently on 133, not necessarily more or less in the total scheme of things but different percentages.

The problem with BSM, is there's no consistent day to day to truly compare them to...
On 129 and the R3 they stop alerting below 24.060, unless you have MRCD on and then it will reach down to 24.050.
A quirk to say the least.

Last edited:

TurboDriver

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
On 129 and the R3 they stop alerting below 24.060, unless you have MRCD on and then it will reach down to 24.050.
A quirk to say the least.
Actually it will alert down to or at least show .049 on 129 with Wide and .039 with MRCD on with the testing I have done. I have it in a thread somewhere...

TurboDriver

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Post in thread 'Frequency Detection Range of a Detector' https://www.rdforum.org/threads/96687/post-1391769

Hahaha, been there.
I remember now, you are correct.
I had issues with the gun at first before figuring things out.
K Narrow, Wide and Extended are working as designed as I tested it a few minutes ago at a 24.045 speed sign.
Post automatically merged:

I might add I had some select Escalades alerting below 24.050 on Beta 132, but I've yet to find them again on 133.

Last edited:

fishing66

Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
A new Jeep had the R7 going bonkers today. 24.160 and 24.168. Dang thing was 400 yards ahead of me at some points and it was still pegging the R7. 133, what happened to thee?

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm not going to bother digging up the thread because I'm on my phone but I posted last year about a jeep that I picked up about a mile away. It doesn't seem to be BSM but some other nanny shit on some Jeeps.

As for BSM with the new R7 FW, I've been running it for a while now and I don't really see any difference at all. If Uniden says that they actually improved the BSM filtering it would be nice for them to tell us what vehicles are quieter because I haven't really noticed anything.

I'm back to Advanced 50%, and 80% rear balance. Rear alerts are still a problem. I really wish they would let us adjust only the K band sensitivity on the rear horn..... I don't really want less sensitivity on Ka band.

mountaindrive

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hope to add some insights. I was on v129 for some time running K-narow and while it did have BSM alerts, it was nowhere near as bad as v133. I was driving for 12 straight yesterday with v133 and, same route that I did many times with v129. Now detector would not shut up, I mean every 10-15 mins it would catch the forward BSM and would just keep beeping and showing strengths 20-30% of the bar, was ready to pull the plug on the unit, it would go off on almost all front vehicles, I have rear K band filter ON and TSM ON. K-band is at 70% and rear is at 50%. I have noticed that most of alerts were from front vehicles. I suspect I missed a setting somehow, I have read Vortex's guide for v133 but seems like I am missing something somewhere. I fail to see the improvements that many are talking here about it, so appreciate any thoughts.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedHook