2018 Head Placement Volvo XC 90

JohnBoy

Wabbit Hunter
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Interested in your thoughts:

1. Position 1: I am thinking that this would be the best for the spot for Rx heads due to proximity to head lights and center mass. With that said, I am not sure how the performance may be impacted on vertically mounted Rx heads with a 6 degree angle.
  2. Position 2: Probably the next best placement. Will require a little customization and plastic cutting here, so a bit more difficult to install.
  3. Position 3: Easiest out of all of them to install and would virtually disappear visually. I am not too worried about their height from the ground, however they are getting a bit far from the headlights ( 20").
Their is a perfect spot for the Tx sensor right on top of the Volvo logo that is dead center of the car.

VolvoXC90.png

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
After recent testing and you being in Atlanta, some install management in regards to head placement allows ALP to maximize performance protection so ones install is a fire breather killer. With a well placed and centered TX head (your placement looks good in the pic) and placing the two RXs as far out to each side as possible without leaving center mass open has been providing outstanding results. This manner of install accomplishes all the requirements. The headlights get covered, the tag area has receive coverage, and the TX is primed to protect. So on the RX Heads, imagine that from position one, gravity brought them to their nature level resting place below where they are in position 1. But because of the chrome, this placement would require them to be out over the edge of that chrome surround.

My thought would be to do an install of the TX head and then temp install the RX heads in position and test. This way if position 2 is a no go, then my above suggestion would be the place. Position two looks to be a cleaner and more straight forward install if it covers headlight and tag area center mass without any real chrome worries. That would be my starting suggestions. I personally without first doing a temporary install with full testing to absolutely prove it as a viable location, would not go with Position 3.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not the expert, but I think that realistically the most practical effective option would be position 2. The RX heads should be sufficiently close to each other to cover the front, and barring trick shots at point blank range you should be OK. If that grille surround (and maybe even the uprights) were black, even if it was glossy black, then position 1 would be a lot easier to pull off—and if you’re getting tickled exclusively by lizards, then position 1 would be a great option.

JohnBoy

Wabbit Hunter
Intermediate User
Reaction score
After recent testing and you being in Atlanta, some install management in regards to head placement allows ALP to maximize performance protection so ones install is a fire breather killer. With a well placed and centered TX head (your placement looks good in the pic) and placing the two RXs as far out to each side as possible without leaving center mass open has been providing outstanding results. This manner of install accomplishes all the requirements. The headlights get covered, the tag area has receive coverage, and the TX is primed to protect. So on the RX Heads, imagine that from position one, gravity brought them to their nature level resting place below where they are in position 1. But because of the chrome, this placement would require them to be out over the edge of that chrome surround.

My thought would be to do an install of the TX head and then temp install the RX heads in position and test. This way if position 2 is a no go, then my above suggestion would be the place. Position two looks to be a cleaner and more straight forward install if it covers headlight and tag area center mass without any real chrome worries. That would be my starting suggestions. I personally without first doing a temporary install with full testing to absolutely prove it as a viable location, would not go with Position 3.

I see what you mean by all the chrome around the grill. Spot 2 is where I will likely do this install then. One of my sons friends has a 3D printer, so I am going to see about creating some custom housing for that spot.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Transporter . Give that a try. This is also similar to a couple other installs I've seen recently where 2 Tx's were placed on the front, each being closer to the Rx heads. That may also be a backup option if there are issues.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i90don90