Laser detection

Walmart Parking Lot

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey all! Total beginner here but slowly learning everything. I’ve heard radar detectors don’t detect laser. I have a Uniden R3 and R7 currently. What do people mean when they don’t detect laser? Does it mean it still detects it but it’ll be too late by the time you get the notice on your RD or do they not detect it at all?

If the first is true, what letter does laser show on the Uniden’s?

If the latter is true, I used to have this RD (page 15) and it showed “L” which meant laser.

Also what’s the different between laser and Lidar?

Any insight or clarification would be appreciated! Thanks

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Laser and Lidar are the same thing. All modern radar detectors also alert to laser guns.

The beam from a lidar gun is very narrow. Cops can only use it when they are stationary and must manually aim it at each vehicle. This when you get an alert, the cops are reading your speed.

Your best defense against laser is a good laser jammer. ALP makes good units but they are expensive.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Does it mean it still detects it but it’ll be too late by the time you get the notice on your RD or do they not detect it at all?
99% of the time, if your detector alerts to laser, the LEO already has your speed. The exception to this is if your detector picks up some scatter off another car that's being targeted. Most detectors are horrible at detecting laser, thus you should never depend on getting a save against laser by you radar detector. Remember, it's a detector and not a protector. Skills of using a detector properly is what gets you saves.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
FWIW, when testing my TMG's with 14 direct hits from a TSS, my R3 never alerted. Same when I was hit with a Stalker on the way to testing. TMG's are a great option for CA, hit jag42 up.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Most RD's can detect laser, the problem is that laser is a narrow beam only 3ft wide at 1000 ft in many cases and it's fired only when they are actively targeting someone, meaning it's not transmitting until they aim the gun at you and pull the trigger. So for the RD to catch a laser hit it needs to see that narrow beam which is usually directed at the front of the vehicle, often the bumper or headlights well below where your RD is. The chances of it seeing that beam or iffy at best on most RD's. If it does see that beam it will alert, but generally by the time it alerts and you react the officer already has your speed as modern lidar guns only take a fraction of a second to lock on to the target. Some RD's like the V1 are more sensitive at laser so they are very likely to catch the shot, and under the right circumstances might catch a little laser scatter of a car ahead of you getting hit, but it's not a reliable way to avoid a laser ticket as catching scatter off cars ahead doesn't happen consistently. the downside to the super sensitivity to laser like the V1 has is that it's very prone to falsifying on laser from cars with laser cruise control, vehicle headlights and even the sun can cause a false.

the proper way to deal with laser is to used a product like ALP or TMG to defend against the laser gun getting a speed for a short 2 seconds while you slow down.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
99% of the time, if your detector alerts to laser, the LEO already has your speed. The exception to this is if your detector picks up some scatter off another car that's being targeted. Most detectors are horrible at detecting laser, thus you should never depend on getting a save against laser by you radar detector. Remember, it's a detector and not a protector. Skills of using a detector properly is what gets you saves.
I'm "properly purloining" that @RadarScout .

That's an awesoooome explanation. Short concise, powerful, and to the point. Best yet !!

Respect 😄😄

Benzr

bilo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
rd can detect laser before he measure your speed like ka band ?

bilo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
non band for detect that ?

leprof

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
And if we remove the gold mesh in front of the laser sensor of the R1 / R3?

Wouldn't it be more efficient in laser detection ???

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Envision the Lidar beam to a laser pointer. You can see the laser pointer light.

At distance, you can see the glow (Halo) around the center point of the laser pointer. You can test this out for yourself with a simple laser pointer at night

That’s what Jammers and Radar detectors are looking for.

Further back...the halo is larger... so is the pin point of the laser beam. That’s why we say “ The Lidar beam is approximately 36” wide @ 1000 feet”. It’s actually the “Halo” around the center point of the Lidar beam. So at 500’, its around 18”. It shrinks the closer you get.

Lidar hits are generally within 1500’. Most of the time it’s below 1000’.

This is just a general rule of thumb when setting up the positions of your jammer heads. Different guns have different optics.... but generally the same principle.

Your fighting light. Not a radio wave that continues on around and past the target. There’s no radio transmission of frequency. It’s light.

Different guns use different pulses in their light... that’s why jammers can identify which gun your shot with.

Now that you understand it’s light... you have to understand where they need to shoot. A solid, reflective surface to have the light bounce back to the gun to get a speed reading.

We test CM ( center mass) DSL ( Driver side light), PSL (passenger side light). Just as a Leo would do and where your most likely to get a reading to the Lidar gun.

Same principle on the rear. Just like a Leo would.

They are not shooting anywhere near your RADAR detector. Even at distance... it’s unlikely you’ll get a save. The closer in.... the more unlikely your detector can even see it.

Im not even considering the angle of the Leo.

Lots of us have Lidar guns. Myself included. Even the easiest guns to jam with a jammer, are hard for a radar detector to alert you to at almost any realistic distance you might face in the real world.

I could take my simplist Lidar gun.... line up any detector 1000’ away.... hit my vehicle with 10 shots..... and would be really surprised if I got 2 alerts. Maybe 1

Most of the people that campaign about how well their radar detectors can detect Lidar..... do not have a Lidar gun. Never tested their radar detector in a controlled environment against a Lidar gun. Never shot a Lidar gun to see what it’s like on the operator side.

They might be horrified just how many hits they’ve probably gotten.... and never alerted to if they try it themselves. They’ll never believe you no matter how many time you tell them.

You have to understand, when we’re testing our Jammers.... even in a Jammer get together.... 99% of the time, we have a radar detector along for ride. We know.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glockman03