Will this New Bill Mean Less RD Tickets?

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Virginia bill could make it harder for police to pull you over.

This bill will make it much more difficult for Virginia police to pull you over for equipment violations. They will now be secondary violations, which means they have to stop you for something else that is considered a primary violation. This "could" mean the end of Spectre use for detectin RDs. Would they have to catch you for speeding first? Will they be able to pull you over for just seeing an RD on your windshield? It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

The bill has passed the general assembly and is awaiting the governor's signature.

GTO_04

Last edited:

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Good question... might be that only 7 or 10 over the posted speed.

But one thing that scares me is the,"The legislation also says police can’t stop cars for driving without headlights at night — though the bill’s sponsor told the Daily Press Friday that he wasn’t aware of that aspect of the measure until a reporter asked about it. He said he would look into whether that provision should be removed."

This is a Safety issue for the Driver and the other Drivers that cannot see the operating vehicle. If one light out, then I hope they don't stop the vehicle, and create an B.S. Stop. In cases like this, stopping a vehicle, maybe ID the driver, give a Warning about the lights, and go on their way. No ticket on lights, unless a delay in fixes. No paying Plates, we they have Cams and License plates cams on the roadways if they failed to pay renewals/Tax.... easy fix. Car fails at inspections and go from there. Maybe do what NC does... pay Tax and Inspection in one.

BelStiDriverFan

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm surprised the radar detector law hasn't been challenged in Virginia. In my mind it's a 1A issue. I have the right to know if an officer is transmitting a signal. The detector validates that an officer is transmitting a radio wave signal. I would guess the receipt and transcoding of non-encrypted radio waves has lots of case law protecting the right to receive these radio waves under 1A. Furthermore, the transmission and receiving of radar and radio waves is not the exclusive domain of police and government.

Furthermore, it also inhibits the right to self defense. For example, if the officer writes or testifies he used a K band radar gun on the ticket or in court, and the detector indicated Ka band, and if the gun the officer checked out of his department was registered as Ka band, that could limit one's ability to defend themselves, if they didn't have a radar detector in their vehicle.

Last edited:

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm surprised the radar detector law hasn't been challenged in Virginia. In my mind it's a 1A issue. I have the right to know if an officer is transmitting a signal. The detector validates that an officer is transmitting a radio wave signal. I would guess the receipt and transcoding of non-encrypted radio waves has lots of case law protecting the right to receive these radio waves under 1A. Furthermore, the transmission and receiving of radar and radio waves is not the exclusive domain of police and government.

Furthermore, it also inhibits the right to self defense. For example, if the officer writes or testifies he used a K band radar gun on the ticket or in court, and the detector indicated Ka band, and if the gun the officer checked out of his department was registered as Ka band, that could limit one's ability to defend themselves, if they didn't have a radar detector in their vehicle.
There have been a few times, running a radar detector has come up... but ignored.

To be honest, I like that there is a ban for two reasons. Limited falsing to other detectors and LEOs more times C/O vs I/Os.

Last edited:

Choose Life

35.5 hater R3 Day One User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
No no no
We must keep going
Locking every single person up on pointless sh*t until every one of our friends family and as of late children have criminal records
We are excluding too many children from having criminal records
And senior citizens
We must get these two groups to up our numbers and revenue
20201012_192232.jpg

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Specific provisions like that often find their way into bills because of some kind of public outcry either by someone with connections or truly a high number of complaints. I'm betting the intent was for when someone has a single head light out but it was just poorly worded. I can see LEO's using something like that as an excuse to pull someone over and look for other things. Equipment violations like that often target the least affluent and I generally support this as a secondary element as long as it does not exclude truly dangerous problems.

Last edited:

ILS27L

Show Me State
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
"The legislation also says police can’t stop cars for driving without headlights at night — though the bill’s sponsor told the Daily Press Friday that he wasn’t aware of that aspect of the measure until a reporter asked about it. He said he would look into whether that provision should be removed."

What ???? Come on.....

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadBundy