Why did I wait so long?

mutt2jeff

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I have thought about buying a radar detector for years. I recently moved to a pretty remote area, I have a 45 minute highway drive to get pretty much anywhere. 4 lanes, pretty much wide open and straight, moderately patrolled. I decided to buy a R7, mostly based on Vortex videos. I am running it in combination with Highway Radar in my 2016 Charger Hellcat. Its working fantastically, I have yet to fail to sniff out a speed trap miles away, and both the detector and the app almost always both alert to police presence. This weekend I took a road trip (360 miles each way) and really got the chance to test, shaving an hour off each direction. Good fun, and zero surprises the entire time through 3 states. I think my next project will be a laser jammer, but thus far I have not run into any police using laser or even I/O tactics, so it may not be worthwhile for me.

0921201738b_HDR.jpg

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Oh yeah, you need a radar detector in that ride. Glad you started with top model. Welcome to RDF!

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome aboard and a great choice with the Hellcat, the R7 and Highway Radar!

Be careful out there, IO and LIDAR are always waiting to reach out and bite you. ;)

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Reaction score
Mutt, welcome aboard! Great choice on the detector.

mutt2jeff

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks. I have been getting by for years just using my eyes and driving really attentively. I am going to try and keep that up and not get to complacent about the detector. The Heatmap on Highway Radar is incredibly useful by itself, just showing you exactly where to look. I have yet to get an aircraft alert, but I know they occasionally patrol my section of highway, so that's a nice feature too.

bluehemi

4 more years 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
I turn off the beeping in HR but it works good

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks. I have been getting by for years just using my eyes and driving really attentively. I am going to try and keep that up and not get to complacent about the detector. The Heatmap on Highway Radar is incredibly useful by itself, just showing you exactly where to look. I have yet to get an aircraft alert, but I know they occasionally patrol my section of highway, so that's a nice feature too.

Smart! I'm sure that Hellcat is always eager to get you in trouble if you're not on top of your game. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Looks great! Beautiful car and good setup. Hope you have a dash cam as well so you can post up some videos of your encounters. Good luck!

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome, jammers can be nice for peace of mind too!

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
welcome to the forum

Q ship

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome and nice car. Be aware that I/O and LIDAR can be sneaky from the perspective of how they can be used against you and you don't know it. RDs don't always alert to being hit by LIDAR. My R7 in recent testing showed that a hit short enough and at certain distances didn't alert. I also didn't get LIDAR alerts from the rear in that same testing nor when I was hit with photo ticket LIDAR from the rear in real life. I'll also add that ISP sit in the median with only the top of their car visible doing I/O which to eyes only is super tough to spot.

terminator0723

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I have thought about buying a radar detector for years. I recently moved to a pretty remote area, I have a 45 minute highway drive to get pretty much anywhere. 4 lanes, pretty much wide open and straight, moderately patrolled. I decided to buy a R7, mostly based on Vortex videos. I am running it in combination with Highway Radar in my 2016 Charger Hellcat. Its working fantastically, I have yet to fail to sniff out a speed trap miles away, and both the detector and the app almost always both alert to police presence. This weekend I took a road trip (360 miles each way) and really got the chance to test, shaving an hour off each direction. Good fun, and zero surprises the entire time through 3 states. I think my next project will be a laser jammer, but thus far I have not run into any police using laser or even I/O tactics, so it may not be worthwhile for me.

View attachment 161667
Welcome! Nice ride!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
decay