Speeding citation for the wrong speed

ayau

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Recently I received a speeding citation driving in IL. The officer wrote a citation stating that I was going 90 on a 65. I knew this was incorrect because I had set my cruise control at 70. I'm technically driving 5 over the limit.

At the time of the incident, I had my Uniden R3 and Viofo A129 Pro running. The dashcam was recording and the video indicates that I was driving 70 (bottom left corner) for the entire stretch of the road. See video recording below.

The issue is that I'm 5.5 hours away from the assigned court house. My plan is to get a hold of the prosecutor to see if he/she will entertain my dashcam video, so that this never has to go to trial. I'd rather not do a 10+ round trip to prove my innocence when everything can be reviewed by video.

I noticed that the officer turned on his KA radar going the opposite direction of my car (1:45 in the video). Is this the appropriate way to measure someone's vehicle speed?

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

FastStevie

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Outer Podunk Mississippi (Gulfport Suburbs)
You are not proving innocence, you are proving you were speeding.

At a different speed than the officer cited you.

You are also proving/maybe officer error.

You might get a reduction in the charges. Which is a good thing.

You might get the whole thing thrown out versus is 5 over enough to charge you, worth the time of the court etc.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear about your citation and sincerely hope that it all works out for you.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The videos don't work for me but if you do have video showing that you are truly going 70, the case should really get thrown out. I think it would at least get reduced? Is there another car that was passing you at the time that he could have gotten?

Yes, they can get your proper speed when they are oncoming but they have to have the radar on the right setting. He may have messed that up too.

Last edited:

chapRD

Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Videos are private for me.

KeithB

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would suspect if you introduced the videos in court that it would be objected to since your dashcam has not been certified as accurate. You'd have to bring in expert witnesses that could testify to the scientific accuracy of that particular dashcam gps. That probably could not be done.
It's better to lawyer up and try have the ticket changed to a muffler or taillight out offense. As long as they get money, they're happy.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would suspect if you introduced the videos in court that it would be objected to since your dashcam has not been certified as accurate. You'd have to bring in expert witnesses that could testify to the scientific accuracy of that particular dashcam gps. That probably could not be done.
It's better to lawyer up and try have the ticket changed to a muffler or taillight out offense. As long as they get money, they're happy.
You don't need the speed reading on the dash cam to be certified as accurate, though that wouldn't hurt. You can review the footage and calculate speed over a known distance and time.

BelStiDriverFan

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
At 90 Plus, you will want an attorney to represent you. Your attorney will let the court and PA know that there is evidence you were going 20 mph less than you were accused. This is reasonable doubt, and the burden of proof is on the state. But let an attorney do the work for you. Do not provide the prosecutor any information.

TonyPHX

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Let the lawyer figure out the best path. Time to shut it, and let somebody else speak for you.

Stanley1125

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Recently I received a speeding citation driving in IL. The officer wrote a citation stating that I was going 90 on a 65. I knew this was incorrect because I had set my cruise control at 70. I'm technically driving 5 over the limit.

At the time of the incident, I had my Uniden R3 and Viofo A129 Pro running. The dashcam was recording and the video indicates that I was driving 70 (bottom left corner) for the entire stretch of the road. See video recording below.

The issue is that I'm 5.5 hours away from the assigned court house. My plan is to get a hold of the prosecutor to see if he/she will entertain my dashcam video, so that this never has to go to trial. I'd rather not do a 10+ round trip to prove my innocence when everything can be reviewed by video.

I noticed that the officer turned on his KA radar going the opposite direction of my car (1:45 in the video). Is this the appropriate way to measure someone's vehicle speed?

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.
Get a lawyer so you don't have to do that drive and provide him the dashcam video never try to beat this type of ticket on your own always use someone who is from that county where the court is what you pay for the lawyer might seem as a lot but in the end it's worth it when your insurance company finds out about the ticket your insurance goes up for 5 years and then if you get another ticket for anything else cell phone speeding whatever it might be if that speeding ticket sticks and your found guilty your also more likely to be found guilty of the other tickets going forward if you were to get any and the dashcam goes in your favor but getting a lawyer is your best chance of beating it and you won't have to lose the day at work or take that drive and pay for gas and spend that time driving so it's money well spent on the lawyer

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
X man