Uniden R7 update, when can we expect it?

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So I have to be at work early in the morning but I simply could not sleep without updating my R7 to 1.33 so I slowly snuck out of bed at midnight before my wife could notice (she would probably yell at me to get back in bed, she is not an RD enthusiast) and downloaded the new firmware. Of note, if you download the new firmware 1.33 it will downgrade your red-light cam database back to july 2020 from the latest database which is October 2020. So once you have downloaded to new firmware you will also have to update the red-light cam database again so that it is not out of date.

TechnoRave

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So I have to be at work early in the morning but I simply could not sleep without updating my R7 to 1.33 so I slowly snuck out of bed at midnight before my wife could notice (she would probably yell at me to get back in bed, she is not an RD enthusiast) and downloaded the new firmware. Of note, if you download the new firmware 1.33 it will downgrade your red-light cam database back to july 2020 from the latest database which is October 2020. So once you have downloaded to new firmware you will also have to update the red-light cam database again so that it is not out of date.

Did the wife find out. Lol. Mine she is so tuned to me being in bed, every time I get up to go bathroom or anything she is like, everything ok. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHILBERT

left lane, behind your [email protected]$$ ugly SUV_ MOVE OVER!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The second one is not yet "wife approved", huh? :D

You just need to have so many that they can't tell if you have "another one". ;)

Phil

fishing66

Advanced User
Reaction score
It took a few different micro USB cables to find one that works but 1.33 loaded up just fine, factory reset done and settings restored. Will take it out for a spin later today.

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Got my R7 updated to 1.33 today. Took two tries for some reason, the first attempt having failed. I noticed that it included and older database from July so after finishing the firmware update and performing a master reset, I just downloaded and installed the latest database from earlier this month to replace it. This also took two tries as it initially told me it was the wrong version for the R7. Double checked everything and tried again and it worked find this time. Now I just have to redo all my settings! It sure would be nice if the R7 would preserve those settings that aren't being updated. Also, do I need to perform another mast reset after installing only a database file?

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Got my R7 updated to 1.33 today. Took two tries for some reason, the first attempt having failed. I noticed that it included and older database from July so after finishing the firmware update and performing a master reset, I just downloaded and installed the latest database from earlier this month to replace it. This also took two tries as it initially told me it was the wrong version for the R7. Double checked everything and tried again and it worked find this time. Now I just have to redo all my settings! It sure would be nice if the R7 would preserve those settings that aren't being updated. Also, do I need to perform another mast reset after installing only a database file?
I don't believe you should need to do a reset after updating only the database.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I agree with the others.
No to the Database update reset
Yes to the FW update reset.

If there’s an issue with the settings, a quick video before you update and reset the detector can help you remember before you update.

Isst

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Did the update on a MacBook Air. 1st try worked perfectly. Then did a reset and reentered all parameters.

CTMan

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'd love a simple dump type function in their update software, that simply dumps a list of what you current setting are, to a text file, instead of having to manually copying them. To get around this on my R3, I was copying the recommended settings from Vortex's article into a text file and updating them to match the way I have it set. It works well, till I forget to update it with settings for new functionality :(

I haven't had any issues updating(so far), but it is antiquated. The whole update software package needs an overhaul.

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
One strange issue I’ve always had. When I try to open the unzipped .bin file from the Uniden update tool, the .bin file does not appear in the window that opens. I always have to open a second instance of windows explorer, go to the same location, where the updater tool is looking for the .bin file, and drag/drop it into the window that opens from with install tool. Only then can I select it and install it to the R7 with the updater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
One strange issue I’ve always had. When I try to open the unzipped .bin file from the Uniden update tool, the .bin file does not appear in the window that opens. I always have to open a second instance of windows explorer, go to the same location, where the updater tool is looking for the .bin file, and drag/drop it into the window that opens from with install tool. Only then can I select it and install it to the R7 with the updater.

I know you’re referring to Windows, but this used to happen on an older version of the update software for Mac, but not on the latest version (1.2). Didn’t realize it was happening on the Windows side as well. Uniden, get your shit together!

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I know you’re referring to Windows, but this used to happen on an older version of the update software for Mac, but not on the latest version (1.2). Didn’t realize it was happening on the Windows side as well. Uniden, get your shit together!

Yeah, when that window opens it just doesn’t show all the files that are in that folder. If I open a second separate instance of file explorer, all the files are present. Weird.

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It’s zipped. Try extracting the files first by right clicking on the zip file and choose “extract all”.
Then you’ll see them when you open the updater tool.
Yeah that’s how it should work all of the time, but in one my experiences even after extracting the files, when directing the update program to the location of the extracted files, they do not appear even though they are definitely in the location where I’m directing the update program. In the post by @wjbertrand, it does say “when I try to open the unzipped .bin file.”

apple2gs

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It’s zipped. Try extracting the files first by right clicking on the zip file and choose “extract all”.
Then you’ll see them when you open the updater tool.

No it’s not, I’ve already unzipped it at this point. It’s the UNZIPPED file that does not appear in the updater window.

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yeah that’s how it should work all of the time, but in one my experiences even after extracting the files, when directing the update program to the location of the extracted files, they do not appear even though they are definitely in the location where I’m directing the update program. In the post by @wjbertrand, it does say “when I try to open the unzipped .bin file.”

Yes, this is the same issue I’m having. Easy work around is to open file explorer, go to the same folder (where the file is visible), and drag the .bin file to the updater window, then select it.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deathkillex