Received a V1G2 disassembled - Resolved by Valentine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
See at that point I am seriously considering getting the high-end screws that USED to match
The v1 on the v1G1at the car hobby shop.
I bought ultra long torx screws at yhe Hobby shop ((RC) that i used to bolt up my v1 back in the day. I carefully gently drilled all the way thru the v1 careful not to get any components or horns compromised. That V1G1 saved me countless times so i knew it worked and more importantly ... i could leave my convertible Top down and my v1 never got stolen. It was literally screwed to the upper conv top frame 🤓🤓👍👍

Anywaays after my trip down mammory lane
((My favorite trip btw), I am wondering if those will be the same screws/threads etc. As i type this ... OMG OMG i still have those screws in the orig v1g1 box. I keep all my v1 mounts attachments wires etc in there.

If i have the screws already then case closed.

I like to live dangerously/risky. If kharma has the screws already then case closed and my stupid dilema/issue is solved. 🤓🤓

Its only screws peeps. It's my nature. I take risks.so far it has paid off with an amazing fun-filled and exciting life. I don't always get the upper hand, but it keeps life interesting. I don't follow the fold. Never have and never will. 😉😉

Now to look for those screws.

Brb.

Benzr
Post automatically merged:

If the screws are like the other V1G2's they appear to be self threading style (if your V1G2 never had screws in it, there should be no threads), so I would be very careful what you choose. Also if you go down this path, I would first contact VR and ask if this will void your warranty. The last thing you would want to do is void your warranty because you don't want to have it done for free by VR.

This makes no sense to me why you would go down that road. It seems to me that with all the time you spent with this thread, you could have had it on its way and you would likely be whole again by Thursday. But in the end, it is your detector and you are free to do what you want.

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
VR might have the units shipped with cover off for a reason... There may be some manual tweaking and testing for performance verification. I would send it back if you can't get clear answers from V.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm not at all suggesting that a joke would be played by VR towards Benzr.

As I understand it (and I might not have all the details straight); VR does not get the Gen2 shipped to them in the state we see in the video.
In other words, they don't just get the unit and put screws in it and send it off again.
I believe they get raw parts and assemble on-site.

If it were shipped as a complete unit unassembled, I'd expect to see the individual loose parts packaged separately in little ziploc-type bags to avoid scratches and maybe some sort of packaging tape to hold the larger parts together like they use on printers, etc.

There wouldn't be a chance of the speaker grille being wedged on the front lens from underneath. (Watch the video) There wouldn't be a volume button lodged in a cavity up near the RJ socket. The foam button surround would be easily found, etc.

As someone that unpacks and installs various types of high-dollar equipment frequently and then also packs the damaged equipment up in many cases; I don't see any of the expected "unassembled" behavior in the video.

What I have come to understand is that VR does some fine-tuning in a bracket or jig before the unit is sent out. The absence of screws would have a few chances to be noticed during that process and the subsequent steps before packaging.

@benzr, I don't know what could have happened to the unit you have; but I would have concerns about it never having been tuned, or something like that. Maybe it was set aside because it wasn't within parameters and somehow was grabbed and sent?
(Grasping at straws here) Could anything have been damaged during transit this way? Enough happened that all of those parts were way out of place.

Every test you perform or publish will be questionable because of the way you received it. I'd really like to see you return it and get the seal of approval / warranty and then anything you test doesn't have that possibility hanging over it. :)

Last edited:

KY2019GTMUSTANG

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm not at all suggesting that a joke would be played by VR towards Benzr.

As I understand it (and I might not have all the details straight); VR does not get the Gen2 shipped to them in the state we see in the video.
In other words, they don't just get the unit and put screws in it and send it off again.

If it were shipped as a complete unit unassembled, I'd expect to see the individual loose parts packaged separately in little ziploc-type bags to avoid scratches and maybe some sort of packaging tape to hold the larger parts together like they use on printers, etc.

There wouldn't be a chance of the speaker grille being wedged on the front lens from underneath. (Watch the video) There wouldn't be a volume button lodged in a cavity up near the RJ socket. The foam button surround would be easily found, etc.

As someone that unpacks and installs various types of high-dollar equipment frequently and then also packs the damaged equipment up in many cases; I don't see any of the expected "unassembled" behavior in the video.

What I have come to understand is that VR does some fine-tuning in a bracket or jig before the unit is sent out. The absence of screws would have a few chances to be noticed during that process and the subsequent steps before packaging.

@benzr, I don't know what could have happened to the unit you have; but I would have concerns about it never having been tuned, or something like that. Maybe it was set aside because it wasn't within parameters and somehow was grabbed and sent?
(Grasping at straws here) Could anything have been damaged during transit this way? Enough happened that all of those parts were way out of place.

Every test you perform or publish will be questionable because of the way you received it. I'd really like to see you return it and get the seal of approval / warranty and then anything you test doesn't have that possibility hanging over it. :)
I completely agree with this assertion. I would call VR and explain the circumstances with the manner it was received and sent it back for a once over check and assembly...just to have piece of mind.

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Cool! Video should be interesting.

cihkal

Let there be light!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
What a wild ride!

Waiting, waiting... and finally she arrives! Only her top is off; you'd think that's a good thing.

Seems like the only thing to do is laugh about it here, definitely frustrating, and send her back for a refund or put together unit!

Keep us posted on what VR says and the outcome!

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
If the screws are like the other V1G2's they appear to be self threading style (if your V1G2 never had screws in it, there should be no threads), so I would be very careful what you choose. Also if you go down this path, I would first contact VR and ask if this will void your warranty. The last thing you would want to do is void your warranty because you don't want to have it done for free by VR.

This makes no sense to me why you would go down that road. It seems to me that with all the time you spent with this thread, you could have had it on its way and you would likely be whole again by Thursday. But in the end, it is your detector and you are free to do what you want.
Yeah see SOMEONE TOLD ME you can't do it,
Shouldn't do it, impossible to do it.

Just makes me want to do it even MORE !!!

I have spent my life and my money defying people that tell me it can't ,won't , shouldn' t be done.

So if i risk my warranty big deal. Hopefully that's not tje case. But such is life.

I do things because people tell me i can't.
Sound familiar to someone else high up ??

Geez i lose $401 ... i'll live i've lost thousands more on that on "GUARANTEED" stock picks like. (( jduniphase on PBS big name "I'd bet the farm on that ". Not the farm but a cool 10k.

Lesson learned VERIFY FIRST Act with Caution

Which is EXACTLY what i have done here.
I can still use screws. i can still send back.

I will look again if they're not threaded. If true that TOTALLY SUX. 🤬🤬🤬😡😡

Benzr

VR might have the units shipped with cover off for a reason... There may be some manual tweaking and testing for performance verification. I would send it back if you can't get clear answers from V.
Ohhhhh NOOOOOO !!

This is the Game Changer.

Now i got yet another variable to consider. ... sigh

I believe they get raw parts and assemble on-site.

L0L

YEAH GREAT MINDS think alike.

I just thought of that too.

ALL my tests will be invalid due to that variable.

You my friend are DEAD ON ... that and the others who posted it may be a defect or not passed quality control, or not tweaked yet

HAS CONVINCED ME IT GOES BACK to mother VALENTINE .... [email protected] DEFEATED.

I will coalesce yo all my GREAT RDF FAMILY members who prevented me from making a grave mistake.

THANK YOU ALL !!!

Sigh .. defeated ... tail between his legs ... Benzr
gives up.

You guys were RIGHT and I was WRONG 😮😮😬😬😧😧. Back it goes.

Benzr

Two words, duct tape! 😎
Hahahahaha. And SILICONE.

B

I completely agree with this assertion. I would call VR and explain the circumstances with the manner it was received and sent it back for a once over check and assembly...just to have piece of mind.
I am .
you guys were RIGHT !!

.. and Thanks to all who Led me back to the pack 🤑🤑🤑🤑

Benzr

What a wild ride!

Waiting, waiting... and finally she arrives! Only her top is off; you'd think that's a good thing.

Seems like the only thing to do is laugh about it here, definitely frustrating, and send her back for a refund or put together unit!

Keep us posted on what VR says and the outcome!
Hahahaha. ANY TOP off a woman is a Good thing @chikal. 😉😉😉

Guess i'll just go outside and cut the yard ...
In my defeatedism.

Finish that and go looking at potential Reno props.

Back to Topic.
Boxed it up from the projects table and turned off my JBV1 and waiting ... waiting.

Btw: kharma also told me send it back. I found where the screws WERE (two yrs ago) in the torn V1 box and searched every project area I could remember and no dice.

Summary:
No warranty in future
Not Threaded shanks
Possible defect
Possible no tweaking
No Validity on Tests
Kharma.

Yeah it goes back. Cons exceeded the Pro by 3 fold.

Attachments

• E7ADCC1D-1F78-4459-8430-94DDC33187F2.jpeg
    E7ADCC1D-1F78-4459-8430-94DDC33187F2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 500A485D-755C-4842-B80E-51FC8F8C2307.png
    500A485D-755C-4842-B80E-51FC8F8C2307.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
4 pages to get here? Is there a moral to this tale of woe?
I think it is, send faulty units back to the manufacturer. They will usually know immediately what has happened.

DrHow

Going “Plaid” (Tesla S). RDT refugee
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Continuing to derail discussions after repeated warnings, failure to comply with moderator instructions, and unnecessarily creating drama.
I had a look at the post that was deleted.

When you don't have all the information DrHow, and you don't, it would behoove you to refrain from making accusations.

Benzr's original post was total clickbait and contained absolutely zero substance or claims. That's why it was deleted. It had nothing to do with the content but the absolute lack of content.

The forum has rules, it's not a free for all. If that's a problem for you, then I'd suggest 4chan/b
Disagree.... IMO, you guys will, at times, get way too trigger happy.

@benzr, IF you have screen shot of your original post, pass it on via PM or email. Would like to see the “no content clickbait“ post. Did you get a kind/polite/respectful Mod PM message explaining the deletion, and how to make a repost with corrections/more content?

Once again, it was the content, actually lack thereof, that was the issue. The action that @dudeinnz took was based on the forum rules, disallowing that type of post. This in no way should touch on your credibility as to the actual content and subject matter of this thread. @benzr you yourself decided to call out the actions made by the staff in this post seemingly based on an erroneous belief that you were being censored. It was you that brought attention to the issue, not the mods. This is what forced the staff to make public posts here instead of just getting on with your thread. Would you like to do that now or will this continue? Also, as the OP, I'll give you the option on whether or not you'd like us to clean this thread of the side discussion and move it somewhere else.

All, if you have a problem with the actions of the staff please click on the "contact us" link above and discuss it there before going off the rails on a thread in public without the proper information. If you still feel it hasn't been solved to your satisfaction after that, make a post somewhere else as to not derail a thread and/or contact @Observer

That is the end of this discussion in this thread. No, I'm not shutting down dissenting opinions, I'm simply saying that this is not the place to discuss them. Any further discussion in this vein in THIS THREAD may result in infractions. Thanks.
We have been warned to not use PM or “reports“ to engage in dialog. Like what you describe is the proper protocol above. Thank you for stating strongly RDF members are able to engage rational conversations, to learn, with mods on a private methods.

I find it amusing that RDF'ers seem to receive these sort of issues when receiving their detectors.
I mean, how often would this pop up in the general population of V1 buyers? We would never hear it.
But here we are, enjoying the woes of @benzr with one lucky shipment.

Reminds me of Uniden sending me back firmware with my R7 repair that only Beta testers had.
The cat came oot of the bag that day.
What are the odds that came back to, you guessed it, an active RDF tester.

Karma must be at play. Or there is some powerfull voodoo coming from this forum!
Now you did it.. The secret about the voodoo doll collections around here is out! :)

Last edited:

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
Disagree.... IMO, you guys will, at times, get way too trigger happy.

@benzr, IF you have screen shot of your original post, pass it on via PM or email. Would like to see the “no content clickbait“ post. Did you get a kind/polite/respectful Mod PM message explaining the deletion, and how to make a repost with corrections/more content?

We have been warned to NOT use PM or “reports“ to engage in dialog. Like what you describe is the proper protocol above. Thank you for stating strongly RDF members are able to engage rational conversations, to learn, with mods on a private methods.

Now you did it.. The secret about the voodoo doll collections around here is out! :)
I'll shoot it to ya ... but our Mods are catching a sh!tstorm of grief from the brand ers and brand ees. I didn't understand all the [email protected] yhey were taking.

So yes I agree they did get "delete happy" BUT there are extenuating circumstances.
They're not paid and putting up w ridiculousness of "brand ers" and "brand ees"

So yeah they may be getting a bit expeditious
In their deletes, but they are also getting hammered with accusations if yhey dont.

So i dont blame them i pity them. (mods)
Did i get miffed. Oh yeah, but i unlike the brand ers/brand ees I got over it. BUT the unpaid Mods still get hammered.

I ONLY POSTED the Vid after my sincerity was questioned. It's obvious the shanks are NOT threaded as in the pics. Yes it's going back.

Geez Peeps get a grip and lighten up.
Accidents happen. And we RDF rs caused it IMHO.

Now Mods PLEASE LOCK this thread
@dudeinnz
@OBeerWANKenobi

WOW ... just wow. Accidents happen.
I am the one who should be Upset, but instead i tried to rectify it and even laughed it off in the video.

Thanks to ALL who corrected my thinking !!

It is going BACK.

ENUFF said.

Benzr

DrHow

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll shoot it to ya ... but our Mods are catching a sh!tstorm of grief from the brand ers and brand ees. I didn't understand all the [email protected] yhey were taking.

So yes I agree they did get "delete happy" BUT there are extenuating circumstances.
They're not paid and putting up w ridiculousness of "brand ers" and "brand ees"

So yeah they may be getting a bit expeditious
In their deletes, but they are also getting hammered with accusations if yhey dont.

So i dont blame them i pity them. (mods)
Did i get miffed. Oh yeah, but i unlike the brand ers/brand ees I got over it. BUT the unpaid Mods still get hammered.

I ONLY POSTED the Vid after my sincerity was questioned. It's obvious the shanks are NOT threaded as in the pics. Yes it's going back.

Geez Peeps get a grip and lighten up.
Accidents happen. And we RDF rs caused it IMHO.

Now Mods PLEASE LOCK this thread
@dudeinnz
@OBeerWANKenobi

WOW ... just wow. Accidents happen.
I am the one who should be Upset, but instead i tried to rectify it and even laughed it off in the video.

Thanks to ALL who corrected my thinking !!

It is going BACK.

ENUFF said.

Benzr
Glad RDF folks helpd you come to conclusion to send back. The video will go down in history. Funny at same time as “wow” how could VR do this? Oh well, so be it.

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
i just checked all my screenshots .. Why would i take a screenshot if i thought it was kosher to post. I only have screenshots of the aftermath PM's... sigh. Suffice it to say i was posting a teaser" until i could get home, download the vid from iphone. Then remembered iphone has connector issues and got that fixed. Then uploaded to Vimeo which went over 500gb (750) so no one could see it. Then used Freemake to shrink it. First attempts had chipmunks narrating it. 3 attempt worked, uploaded it to Vimeo to clear my name. GEEZ. It was just to show something funny and instead Mods got hammered and i got carefully questioned.
Then the ridiculous sh!tstorm started on the Mods. Wow .. just wow. Next time dont challenge for proof (( Not the Mods)) , if you cant handle the outcome. I wasn't going to post, but challenging my credibility i((Not the Mods) is not a good idea. So i believe the video should remain for posterity.

I applaud yhe Mods for their efforts yo keep the Many issues here at RDF civil. 👍👍👍👍

Kudos :slick:

Benzr

Last edited:

DrHow

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
i just checked all my screenshots .. Why would i take a screenshot if i thought it was kosher to post. I only have screenshots of the aftermath PM's... sigh. Suffice it to say i was posting a teaser" until i could get home, download the vid from iphone. Then remembered iphone has connector issues and got that fixed. Then uploaded to Vimeo which went over 500gb (750) so no one could see it. Then used Freemake to shrink it. First attempts had chipmunks narrating it. 3 attempt worked, uploaded it to Vimeo to clear my name. GEEZ. It was just to show something funny and instead Mods got hammered and i got carefully questioned.
Then the ridiculous sh!tstorm started on the Mods. Wow .. just wow. Next time dont challenge for proof if you cant handle the outcome. I wasn't going to post, but challenging my credibility is not a good idea. So i believe the video should remain for posterity.

I applaud yhe Mods for their efforts yo keep the Many issues here at RDF civil. 👍👍👍👍

Kudos :slick:

Benzr
No problem. If you had one of the original, I could learn what was troubling. Make sure I do not repeat that. :)

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Locking as requested.

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
Ok Heartburn and much hesistatation I have to ask this.
I called VR and got the Old Lady and .. i am not sure how to proceed.
She was quite "politely rude" .
Me: This is gonna sound crazy but I got a dis...unit ((i sd in a jovial manner))
HER "what is wrong Describe it to me and dont give opinions"
Me: i opened the package amd pulled the unit out by the suction cups and top came w it
HER I didnt ask you for that
Me ok you sent me a disass ... unit (half laughing)
HER: we're going to send you a return shipping label amd you send the unit back to me
Me Do i sent the box and everything?
Her I can't be more clear on what i sd
Me so you mean take out the unit and send just the unit
HER i cant be more clear on what i said
Me so i do not include the box
Her just wrap it up and send it to us(very harsh)
Me Are you going to just send me a new unit im with yhe RDF forum and we determined it might be a reason why the screws and unit was not assembled
Her I cant be more clear on what i said.

So i just Thanked her and hung up.
I know from past warranty/upgrade issues you get to keep the hardwire and mounts 👍😎
BUT here is my question to all the Valentine
People in the know.

DO i send the unit in the original box w/o the extra hardware ?
If i do will they NOT send that box and foam back to me?
This is important as many of you know.
Missing original box and foam is a big issue with Valentine.

So do i wrap a towel tightly and electrical tape it ?

I really do not want anymore Drama from their mistake.

She was acting like they are just gonna throw screws in and send it back.

I sure hope not. Now this isnt funny or fun anymore.

This is just annoying akin to Valentines Customer Service that caused me to boycott their product for 5 years and i found Canadian Bel which Escort subsequently bought.

This isn't fun anymore and I am really getting p!ssed now.

Her cryptic answers really got me going

I am starting to doubt this will get resolved in a manner i am comfortable with.

So yes i am sending it back. Yes i hope i get a new/different unit at this point, but i doubt it now.

Why i just wanted to get the screws and be done w it. ... sigh.

Please i implore you guys that know
HOW do i send it back to them.
Yes i am keeping it.

Benzr

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would note the serial number and send it in with a note that you would like it replaced because you're concerned that something may have been loosened during the initial shipment. Be clear with them on how you want it resolved. Sorry to hear about the poor customer service experience. I wish CS issues were limited to just radar detector companies but it's everywhere.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you are sending it in for repair, just put the detector and all it's pieces carefully in the package so they don't get further damaged in shipping. I'd recommend placing all the small parts in little baggy so nothing gets lost.

Don't worry about them returning the same detector to you as it will be tested before they do. Don't worry about the accessories unless you are returning for a refund.

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ok, so we know each other and I didn't find you hard to get along with. But I've also never had any malfunctions with VR. Count me among those who hold MV in high regard.

My suggestion is to call them back for clarification. I think generally they want the unit shipped back in the original container with the protective foam if possible.

My guess is that she was just having a bad day but giving a repeat customer a bunch of attitude seems unacceptable at best.

Thanks again for your help at the meet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandy745