Whistler's next radar detector?

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Anyone have a prediction on what Whistler's next high end radar detector will be? It's been two years since the CR97 and we got nothing other than the mfu dash cam radar detector. I thought they were going out of business for a while because all of their RDs were out of stock for a few months but when I recently went back to update my cr97 GPS database and all their detectors are back in stock. If they give us a cr97 with no k/ka band confusion and sell it for $150 I would be happy.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Anyone have a prediction on what Whistler's next high end radar detector will be? It's been two years since the CR97 and we got nothing other than the mfu dash cam radar detector. I thought they were going out of business for a while because all of their RDs were out of stock for a few months but when I recently went back to update my cr97 GPS database and all their detectors are back in stock. If they give us a cr97 with no k/ka band confusion and sell it for $150 I would be happy.

I was wondering the same thing (if Whistler was going to be coming out with anything new any time soon). The Whistler section of the RDF has been crickets for a while.

I ended up selling my CR97 a month or two ago on Ebay. For me to even consider buying another Whistler, it will have to be a significant improvement over the CR97 and have a specific and accurate frequency display on all radar bands and at a good price point. I just don’t think that is the market segment Whistler is going for.

I think Whistler has settled in on the budget/non enthusiast detector segment, but I sure would like it if Whistler would surprise us all and come out with something in the DFR8/DFR9 category or better, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I dont follow Whislter very closely but kind of thought they were pretty much dead...

Last edited:

yellowtibby

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Their engineer Mike B used to participate on here alot when the Pro 78se was around. Now he is missing on RDF. I wonder if he still works for Whistler.

Disco47

Roll Tide
Beginner User
Reaction score
I used to buy their stuff In the 90s. But they are pretty much dead these days.

SAD!

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll always have a soft spot for Whistler due to the hundreds of I/O saves my Pro78, and 78SE got for me before I got my V1G1 and Redline-O! Those of you who have never run a CR97 would be shocked at it's laser performance, and surprised by it's blazing speed against the fastest Q/T shots that you can hit it with! The problem is, the Ka/K confusion overrides all of this goodness. It's off axis range sucks as well. We've had it nip at the heels of my R1 and Redline-O's during testing against 35.5, as long as it's on axis. Dial in some off axis, and the range drops like a stone! I still have my CR95 and 97 but haven't played with them for a while. If Whistler would have just fixed the confusion and dialed in some more off axis, these would be great little detectors for the money. Hopefully, if and when they launch a new detector these things will be fixed! I'm not holding my breath either however!

Last edited:

yellowtibby

Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'll always have a soft spot for Whistler due to the hundreds of I/O saves my Pro78, and 78SE got for me before I got my V1G1 and Redline-O! Those of you who have never run a CR97 would be shocked at it's laser performance, and surprised by it's blazing speed against the fastest Q/T shots that you can hit it with! The problem is, the Ka/K confusion overrides all of this goodness. It's off axis range sucks as well. We've had it nip at the heels of my R1 and Redline-O's during testing against 35.5, as long as it's on axis. Dial in some off axis, and the range drops like a stone! I still have my CR95 and 97 but haven't played with them for a while. If Whistler would have just fixed the confusion and dialed in some more off axis, these would be great little detectors for the money. Hopefully, if and when they launch a new detector these things will be fixed! I'm not holding my breath either however!
I too love Whistler. They were my first RDs when I started to become an enthusiast. The Rev C platform XTR 690se and Pro 78SE with Ka Max were great detectors for the price. Laser performance nearly equal to the V1. They were so much better than Cobra their low cost rivals. With TFSR on the CR 85 had no band confusion and did very well with BSM. My CR 85 I still have will even filter out Hondas. Unfortunately, starting with the release of the CR 93 (which I also have), the K and KA band confusion started and ruined Whistlers. I think it has to do with the implementation of FDSR, as the CR 97 and CR 93 both have it and both have K and Ka band confusion, but my CR 85 and XTR 690 se (a special custom XTR that Mike B personally added on TFSR) both do not band confuse at all and have better BSM filtering.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I too love Whistler. They were my first RDs when I started to become an enthusiast. The Rev C platform XTR 690se and Pro 78SE with Ka Max were great detectors for the price. Laser performance nearly equal to the V1. They were so much better than Cobra their low cost rivals. With TFSR on the CR 85 had no band confusion and did very well with BSM. My CR 85 I still have will even filter out Hondas. Unfortunately, starting with the release of the CR 93 (which I also have), the K and KA band confusion started and ruined Whistlers. I think it has to do with the implementation of FDSR, as the CR 97 and CR 93 both have it and both have K and Ka band confusion, but my CR 85 and XTR 690 se (a special custom XTR that Mike B personally added on TFSR) both do not band confuse at all and have better BSM filtering.
I also own a CR85. You're right, it has no band confusion. It also has nowhere near the range that the CR95 and 97 have. It's a shame Whistler can't combine the two of them!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radar1972