If you grew up in the 80s, this is the Fiero you've been looking for

alee

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Still has the pre-delivery plastics on it!

Never owned one, remember it to be a pretty terrible car, and they used to have some sort of fire problem with oil leaks. But I saw this auction posted and still secretly want it.

If you buy this and turn this into a Fauxrrari, Lambo, Bugatti, etc. you automatically go to hell. 😂

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The first few years was based off the Chevy Chevette. 84-86. They reversed the front of it to fit the rear setup. They had many issues, but one was the Oil issue, and also Fuel issue too. 87-88, were the better years and Sporter suspension and engine... Pic'd is that vehicle. GM/Pontiac had it right, but they decided to kill it for various reasons. Some say it was hurting the Corvette in sells and did give it a run. One thing about Chevy and the Corvette, you get close to it as another GM company, they kill that project. They did that with the Firebird in the 60s, as what you had seen to be the Firebird wasn't what Pontiac was to deliver to the public.... it was the Banshee

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I had a project 88 GT with a 350 swap. I got it running and not much more than that before selling it.

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The first few years was based off the Chevy Chevette. 84-86. They reversed the front of it to fit the rear setup. They had many issues, but one was the Oil issue, and also Fuel issue too. 87-88, were the better years and Sporter suspension and engine... Pic'd is that vehicle. GM/Pontiac had it right, but they decided to kill it for various reasons. Some say it was hurting the Corvette in sells and did give it a run. One thing about Chevy and the Corvette, you get close to it as another GM company, they kill that project. They did that with the Firebird in the 60s, as what you had seen to be the Firebird wasn't what Pontiac was to deliver to the public.... it was the Banshee

Yeah, those first few years of the Fiero were rough with issues. I think most of the 80's were a gong show for GM. Completely agree that if someone always wanted one of these, the last production years of this car were the best. In true GM fashion, as soon as they started to make it a decent car, they killed it.

My than girlfriend, now wife wanted one when she graduated nursing school in 1986 (most of her family worked at GM Lordstown at the time). Thankfully, I talked her into buying a Japanese car.

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
these came out when i was in my teens - i remember the mags saying it had perfect balance

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe GM wanted to get away from liability suits also, because the new crash safety tests were horrible with the Fiero. It would crumble like an empty coke can in the front. The build concept was similar to the Chevy Corsair which was also a death trap. I think I'm remembering right.

Last edited:

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
One of my buddies had a red one. I always thought it was a nice looking car but absolutely horrible when you drove it. That suspension was just awful. At some point, the last year maybe, they redesigned it. It just felt really unsettled in any bumpy corner.

modsl55amg

"Jammin' 'Till Your GHz"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I actually had a beautiful silver Fiero GT, leather seats, wing, hand painted pinstripes. At 2700 miles ,while driving on rt 295 it caught fire and burned to the ground...

Posted from my SM-N960U using the RDF Mobile App!

Route 295 in New Jersey???

LaughingCrow

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I remember test driving one just after its introduction. when I got to around 70MPH, the front-end started moving twenty degrees side-to-side. It scared the $#!+ out of me, so I slowed down a took it back to the dealership and never looked back

Easy Target

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It seems like GM kills any car just as they start to get it right. They put out an overhyped crap product and then finally get it to a decent vehicle, then kill it.
87 Grand National
88 Fiero
93 cadillac allante
2020 Cadillac CT6 Blackwing-kind of an exception as the previous CTS-V is pretty badass but pretty sad that only 800 cars were built with this wonderful Blackwing engine.

eric15178

If you ain't 1st you're last-Ricky Bobby
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Sad, no more big cadillacs with a na v8. Love my dts, but there are a few things i liked better about the seville. 2000-02 eldo, sweet car. Be cool to find one that's still nice. Like that the dts still has a key, no blindspot monitors, and a na v8. Be cool to do the ct6 at some point in the future. Crazy the cts v is done. Go from a badass supercharged 6.2 coup or sedan and make the ct5 what 3.0 tt? Like the whole looks of the cts better. The ct5 has that rounded trunk area, no big 3rd brake light that was always their thing.

Wish they hadn't quit pontiac. 1st car was a grand am, say what you want but that car was decent. 99, 1st year of the style, black 2 door with the 3.4. Always made cool cars, gtos, firebirds, grandprixs, bonnevilles, the g8 was cool too. Would like a 99 to 02 firebird. Red, 5.7, leather and t tops. The hood with the curves and scoops is wicked looking.

Only one i hated was a 4 door sunfire. Needed a cheap car to get to work. 5 speed, rollup windows, reach around locks, at least had cruise.Thing sucked. Had it about a year and sold it with a crazy problem the shop couldn't fix for 200 bucks with new tires.

dcmackintosh

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
A buddy had an early Fiero GT that I drove up I-95 home from college with him one time. Late '80s. We encountered one of those east-coast sheeting thunderstorms with standing water across the highway. Sketchiest thing I've ever driven, and I'm pretty sketchy.
Post automatically merged:

Wow, somebody collected a Fiero with an automatic.
Post automatically merged:

Crazy the cts v is done.
I'd still love to have a CTS-V wagon 6-speed. No bueno in the snow, though.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deathkillex