My Uniden R7 is unreliable / won't turn on in hot weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Did a quick search:
Between the threads you can see, and the elevated threads and messages in other places; I have a different point of view of the issue than you do it looks like. :)
During many discussions about Uniden failures, removing the detector from the windshield when not driving was a common non-sequitur "response" that didn't address the initial concern. (Whether people actually do that or not is another story)

It's not meant as an "unfair speculation", but to support that the issue @STguy was curious about was not unheard of and that he should get it replaced/fixed/etc. rather than second guess his concerns. I know two people that have experienced it with their Unidens during summer temps.

Is there a main thread detailing all these heat failures similar to the G2 failure thread? I don't recall seeing one but I of course can be wrong. I saw a few here or there with problems but nothing to cause concern overall. Then again maybe it's on an elevated thread and other places. Are there many reports of this to really concern anyone? I don't even know more than two people that have Unidens outside of this forum so that's kinda concerning if it's that common and news to me.

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Derailing Discussions- Please stop bringing "politics" "race" etc into your comments, you have been asked to refrain in other threads.
Warning: Derailing Discussions- Please stop bringing "politics" "race" etc into your comments, you have been asked to refrain in other threads.

Can’t leave anything in my vehicle in Southern California either. The Marxist terrorist leftists always break into cars and steal stuff. Better to keep it out of sight.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't believe for a second that Uniden isn't repairing units in USA.
I've had mine twice recently sent and repaired, the same unit serial number and my mounting modifications came back both times.
One repair minor and the other major drop damage.
No exchange units here.
Last I was paying attention to Uniden return issues, it was commonly understood / believed that people were getting back other people's Unidens in exchange for warranty fixes. It was said at the time that they didn't repair them in the US either. Perhaps that has changed then. :) I'm glad to hear it! [Edit] Nevermind, they are still doing it... That concept always bugged me and I have been vocal about how much it would bother me to get an item in exchange that wasn't taken care of as well as I take care of my equipment.)

Is there a main thread detailing all these heat failures similar to the G2 failure thread? I don't recall seeing one but I of course can be wrong. I saw a few here or there with problems but nothing to cause concern overall. Then again maybe it's on an elevated thread and other places. Are there many reports of this to really concern anyone? I don't even know more than two people that have Unidens outside of this forum so that's kinda concerning if it's that common and news to me.
At this point I don't know if it's the issue that it started out being. There have been threads on it, and discussions about the cause and not all of them are open to all readers or solely on RDF. Maybe it's less of an issue than I was thinking it was.

Still, we have a heat related issue with the unit that this thread is about. And I know of two others. Is there really a thread where all Uniden failures are actually tracked? I didn't think there was. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ha! I think that it's just not been a big deal to try and track. :)

STguy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Reporting back on my repair, I am pretty happy with my experience. Took about 7 days end-to-end, Uniden shipped me a different unit (manufactured 2020), looks refurbished but seems to work fine.

Timeline:
- Thursday, 9am. FedEx delivered my unit to Uniden repair
- Friday, 6pm. Uniden marked my unit received.
- Tuesday. A replacement is shipped out.
- Friday. I received and tested the replacement.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Reporting back on my repair, I am pretty happy with my experience. Took about 7 days end-to-end, Uniden shipped me a different unit (manufactured 2020), looks refurbished but seems to work fine.

Timeline:
- Thursday, 9am. FedEx delivered my unit to Uniden repair
- Friday, 6pm. Uniden marked my unit received.
- Tuesday. A replacement is shipped out.
- Friday. I received and tested the replacement.
Glad you had a good experience. I figured you may get a refurb back, that's basically what yours would have been if they sent it back. Plus, it probably would have taken longer to repair and mail.
Keep us informed on your experience with the R7.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Uniden shipped me a different unit (manufactured 2020), looks refurbished but seems to work fine.

I figured you may get a refurb back, that's basically what yours would have been if they sent it back. Plus, it probably would have taken longer to repair and mail.

I'm sorry to see they are still doing this.

The idea that it basically would have been a refurb anyway...
That's not how I see it.

I'd want the detector I took care of back which is a "repair", not a "refurb". With a refurb, you have no idea what it has been through. It's like buying a used car vs a new car.

@STguy, I'm glad you got it worked out to your satisfaction. :)

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm sorry to see they are still doing this.

The idea that it basically would have been a refurb anyway...
That's not how I see it.

I'd want the detector I took care of back which is a "repair", not a "refurb". With a refurb, you have no idea what it has been through. It's like buying a used car vs a new car.

@STguy, I'm glad you got it worked out to your satisfaction. :)
I think a refurb is just fine.
My original R7 has had repairs twice and the same detector came back.
I bought a refurb backup R7 and it's been killer. Beating the original in every side by side test .
After the second repair (major rebuild) the original came back and had a significant increase in K Band testing, beating the refurb for the first time ever and by a clear margin.
Any time Uniden has touch my detectors I have received back a better detector than I sent.
The QA process before returning to the customer must include some tweeking to proper specs, getting them up to the top of their intended performance.
Just my experience and opinion on no fear to send into Uniden service.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So, the best option for everyone might be to get one and send it in as soon as possible for a refurb or repair?
Wouldn't be better just to get a detector that already works as intended? :p

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
More like getting synthetic oil and a high flow air filter when taking your vehicle in for service.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
But that's not what is happening. Let's take it to PM and we can discuss.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Maybe I should send my R7 in so it can preform better. I didn't know that was a prerequisite to get optimal performance.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
There's no issue here.
STguy asked some questions in the first post. I offered the idea that he see about returning to the store if he was able because of what we've seen in the past with repairs.
(I also told of the concept that the R7 has had some heat-related failures. This has happened to one of RDF's moderators as well.)

I stated that many repairs have turned into refurb trade-ins and there was some discussion about that. In my experience it has been a consistent behavior of Uniden and it has been explained previously that they don't have repair facilities in the US. 🤷‍♂️

If that is true, only partially true, or wholly not true; we can discuss and give supporting evidence without men being accused of childish behaviors.
This is how a discussion, and a hopeful meeting of minds works...

We can discuss potential issues of all brands without it turning into another fight of some sort.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
No worries. Some are allowed to exhibit behaviours with impunity. It's been like that for a couple years. I'll bail out of this thread. Nothing will change. Some folks are teflon.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@STguy issue has been resolved. If you have any issues please let me know and I’m happy to open this thread.

@Rags your last post is trolling, friendly warning to refrain from such comments.

@Bloovy One I urge you to take your discussion to PM as you suggested.
IMO post #29 was not required.

I am currently waiting on other moderator feedback to see if warnings are necessary.

This brand on brand bitching is really not required.

Locking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyRCode