Buffalo, NY -> Charlotte, NC. Any tips/tricks/routes/advice for this trip?

FusionLegend69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am planning out a drive from the upstate New York Area (Buff/Roc/Syr) south to Charlotte, North Carolina.

I will run Highway radar, google maps, and a Uniden R1. No laser jammers.

Google gives me a route like this, which minimizes my time in VA (as opposed to taking route 81 south from east PA)

i90 west -> Erie, PA i79 south -> (exit 57 in WV) route 19 south -> WV route 77 south in the Beckley area -> i-85 to Charlotte

1601326695458.png

Is there anything special on this route I should be aware of? Any advice, tips or tricks? I am unfamiliar with this part of PA, all of WV, VA, and NC.

Thanks!

EDIT: I am stopping in Greensboro

Last edited by a moderator:

USAir767

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In NC, I would just stay straight down 77 into Charlotte, doing what it's showing seems out of the way to me.
Otherwise, NC troopers run 35.5 AND 34.7 combo and they use mostly i/o as well. Also in VA, make sure your detector is out of view. Troopers there are very common from i-81 to the NC line. PA uses a lot of K band and WV troopers run 35.5, and laser room all states except PA. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

FusionLegend69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
In NC, I would just stay straight down 77 into Charlotte, doing what it's showing seems out of the way to me.
Otherwise, NC troopers run 35.5 AND 34.7 combo and they use mostly i/o as well. Also in VA, make sure your detector is out of view. Troopers there are very common from i-81 to the NC line. PA uses a lot of K band and WV troopers run 35.5, and laser room all states except PA. Good luck!

Whoops, I forgot to mention that I am planning to stop in Greensboro.

My r1 should be out of site. They don't use Spectre III right? Just Spectre Elite? How common is laser along this route? In Ohio, and NY, all laser I saw was marked on waze, usually right after a corner, sitting in the median.

Are you able to get I/O warnings typically? Or is the terrain unforgiving?

Finally, can you run Ka Narrow in these states (not NY, obviously)? Or do the troopers not keep their guns in tune like NY?

Thanks!

Last edited:

USAir767

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Whoops, I forgot to mention that I am planning to stop in Greensboro.

My r1 should be out of site. They don't use Spectre III right? Just Spectre Elite? How common is laser along this route? In Ohio, and NY, all laser I saw was marked on waze, usually right after a corner, sitting in the median.

Are you able to get I/O warnings typically? Or is the terrain unforgiving?

Finally, can you run Ka Narrow in these states (not NY, obviously)? Or do the troopers not keep their guns in tune like NY?

Thanks!
I've never done the drive to buffalo, so I have no idea about laser. In NC however, the section of 85 from Greensboro to Charlotte has both laser and radar, I've seen both. Definitely have a rabbit, it definitely helps in both situations (laser and radar)

And I'm not sure about which spectre unit va uses, but I believe you're right about it being the elite.

v1fan

smeg
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Watch the entrance ramps and be aware +20 in VA and +15 in NC - the officer can at their descretion write you for a reckless. Safe travels!

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Watch the entrance ramps and be aware +20 in VA and +15 in NC - the officer can at their descretion write you for a reckless. Safe travels!

Breaking 85mph in VA or 80 mph in NC , in considered instant Reckless.
As v1fan said.
In North Carolina, reckless driving due to speeding depends on the speed limit of the zone you’re driving in. In most areas, driving 15 miles over the speed limit is considered “reckless driving.” For example, driving 50 miles in a 35 mph zone or 70 miles in a 55 mph zone can get you charged with speeding.

In VA. +20 over the limit Posted is reckless, ie 55mph and do 75, reckless..

Also, per NC and many other state and locals
There are a few different behaviors that are considered “careless” or “heedless” driving in North Carolina, including:
Illegal passing
Failing to yield where yielding is required
Tailgating
Swerving aggressively
Highway racing

Last edited:

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Most of WV Is fine but watch out in WV through Summersville and Fayetteville. They are notorious speed traps. There are usually a ton of K drones in construction areas between Pittsburgh and The WV border. As mentioned earlier your best bet in VA is to take it easy and watch for I/O in NC. Also watch your rear view mirror in NC. They love to I/O from behind.

FusionLegend69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Breaking 85mph in VA or 80 mph in NC , in considered instant Reckless.
As v1fan said.
In North Carolina, reckless driving due to speeding depends on the speed limit of the zone you’re driving in. In most areas, driving 15 miles over the speed limit is considered “reckless driving.” For example, driving 50 miles in a 35 mph zone or 70 miles in a 55 mph zone can get you charged with speeding.

In VA. +20 over the limit Posted is reckless, ie 55mph and do 75, reckless..

Also, per NC and many other state and locals
There are a few different behaviors that are considered “careless” or “heedless” driving in North Carolina, including:
Illegal passing
Failing to yield where yielding is required
Tailgating
Swerving aggressively
Highway racing
Those hard speed limits are awful. None of those NC reckless seem unreasonable though, given that my car probably isn’t capable of them safely anyways.
Most of WV Is fine but watch out in WV through Summersville and Fayetteville. They are notorious speed traps. There are usually a ton of K drones in construction areas between Pittsburgh and The WV border. As mentioned earlier your best bet in VA is to take it easy and watch for I/O in NC. Also watch your rear view mirror in NC. They love to I/O from behind.
Will note those locations. K drone = orange LED construction signs? For NC rear do you typically see them behind you on ramps/hiding in an overpass or do they sneak up on you?

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Those hard speed limits are awful. None of those NC reckless seem unreasonable though, given that my car probably isn’t capable of them safely anyways.

Assuming your Fusion is a +/- 2010 I-4.... had no issues with a company version similar hitting that limiter @ 112mph. Was on Rt58 in Va and on other areas between Va to Fort Campbell, Ky and back. And another Run to Central, IL.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Will note those locations. K drone = orange LED construction signs? For NC rear do you typically see them behind you on ramps/hiding in an overpass or do they sneak up on you?
The ones I’ve seen in PA are the smaller “Your Speed” signs but the last time I went through they were every couple miles or so for about 45 miles in an inactive construction zone, but it’s been a year or so. The problem with them is that PA is all K band so you have to make sure you don’t start zoning them out because there might be a LEO in the same area.

In NC you’ll see it all but you are correct that on-ramps and overpasses are favorite hiding spots. They’ve also installed hiding spots in the concrete barriers in the new sections of I77 near Charlotte. They are marked with little white “Authorized Vehicles Only” signs. Most will be marked on VVaze if occupied.

FusionLegend69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Assuming your Fusion is a +/- 2010 I-4.... had no issues with a company version similar hitting that limiter @ 112mph. Was on Rt58 in Va and on other areas between Va to Fort Campbell, Ky and back. And another Run to Central, IL.
2010 i4 hybrid. Engine cuts at 106/107 in my experience.

The ones I’ve seen in PA are the smaller “Your Speed” signs but the last time I went through they were every couple miles or so for about 45 miles in an inactive construction zone, but it’s been a year or so. The problem with them is that PA is all K band so you have to make sure you don’t start zoning them out because there might be a LEO in the same area.

In NC you’ll see it all but you are correct that on-ramps and overpasses are favorite hiding spots. They’ve also installed hiding spots in the concrete barriers in the new sections of I77 near Charlotte. They are marked with little white “Authorized Vehicles Only” signs. Most will be marked on VVaze if occupied.
Hopefully waze will come to the rescue... I've noticed that those signs are higher freq typically while the real K i've seen is lower. But that could just be me. What freq do you typically see?

Yippeekyaa

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Drove the wv turnpike couple weeks ago and nearly all enforcement was in the construction zones. The your speed is signs were present in each zone. Waze had all the leos marked. The last 35 miles of VA is revenue road and is also frustrating due to the truckers passing each other and slowing down on the uphill. Do no more than +8 in VA. Nc line to Greensboro has been very light to none for enforcement. Especially the first 20 miles which is my home area. +15 psl is the average speed here and havent seen a leo on that highway in months.

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
As a general rule, I never see too much enforcement through WV. The State Police tend to do a lot of the local law enforcement within the state and don't spend as much time doing traffic enforcement. VA is usually a different story. They do use Spectres (not sure of which model) but you'll still notice people driving with detectors in plain view. I've lived around around VA in the past and always used my detectors (hidden) with no issues. As others have mentioned, NC uses mostly I/O and some lidar. The Troopers in VA and NC are very good at I/O so rabbits are handy.

That should be a beautiful drive this time of year. I'm going the opposite direction in a couple weeks and looking forward to the drive through a few of those states. I smiled when I saw Buffalo to Charlotte. I think half of Charlotte is comprised of people from Northeast Ohio (where I'm originally from), Western PA, and Upstate NY. Enjoy your trip!

Min Diesel

Manufacturer
Beginner User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Just drove Western PA last week and noticed Ka speed signs 33.8 which leads me to wonder if they have MPH Bee's up in there. Speed signs in PA suck in general and they love I/O K band as well (from my personal experiences). Rest of your route looks logical given the circumstances.

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
I77 in Va will probably have locals and VSP. Once you get off I77 to I74 and 52, it's not too bad except for between Pinnacle and King. Usually Waze works extremely well. I haven't seen a lot of laser lately, but they have used it in the past. But, like @Yippeekyaa posted, it's been fairly light around here lately. I doubt you will see much between the line and greensboro. 85 to Charlotte is usually jacked up, so I don't see you having a speeding problem .:D

singular9

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
In that part of VA the cops fly, once a friend of mine got pulled over because the speed plane "saw" the radar detector on his dash somehow. Very bizarre but not the first time I have heard about it.
I would do what others have said, stay on i77 and away from i85. 85 is a cop magnet from atlanta all the way up to va tbh.

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
In that part of VA the cops fly, once a friend of mine got pulled over because the speed plane "saw" the radar detector on his dash somehow. Very bizarre but not the first time I have heard about it.
I would do what others have said, stay on i77 and away from i85. 85 is a cop magnet from atlanta all the way up to va tbh.
They stopped flying years ago due to costs.

Yippeekyaa

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
No aircraft patrols since 2012. Budget cuts. The signs are still up because oddly enough, budget cuts. Leaving them up costs nothing. Taking them down and putting them back up at a time in the future would cost them money. Lots of money considering that there are over 400 of the signs across the state.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdelkins40