Weak R3 in K band

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
After some sketchy real world encounters against K band, I decided to put my R3 up against my DFR7 and Redline-O. Shockingly, both the DFR7 and Redline-O were able to beat my R3. Theia can’t come soon enough, because I won’t be buying another legacy detector to replace this, and I guess I’ll just have to take it a bit easy...

Too3zln

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's too bad but maybe has been quieter on the falses? What firmware are you using? Thanks for the post.

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's too bad but maybe has been quieter on the falses? What firmware are you using? Thanks for the post.
1.50, and it has been quieter than other member’s R3s which was another thing that made me want to test. Even in highway with only K filter and TSF, it falses to very few BSMs, but I guess that’s because it’s weak...

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
At least you noticed yours fading on K band. Only reason I noticed mine was dead/dying was when a LEO gave me a ticket using K I/O and not a beep came out. (Further testing revealed later the r3 was dead)

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
After some sketchy real world encounters against K band, I decided to put my R3 up against my DFR7 and Redline-O. Shockingly, both the DFR7 and Redline-O were able to beat my R3. Theia can’t come soon enough, because I won’t be buying another legacy detector to replace this, and I guess I’ll just have to take it a bit easy...

Definitely not what one would expect. I'd try reloading the firmware in recovery mode, do a factory reset and change your settings back to what they were. Has it always been like this, or has it recently starting acting like this?

BTW, I wouldn't feel that bad about a Redline-O with no filters beating it. The Redline is pretty stout on K-band without filtering. But your DFR7 certainly shouldn't be beating it in Hwy mode.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
We dont see a lot of real K but we see enough and unfortunately often via I/O that I would want to go ahead and grab something else to hold me over. Bummer it has faded on you.

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score

A391BCB4-07BC-4106-A6BD-835AC238BA42.png

To begin with K is such a weak signal it’s hard to judge how it’s going to act or cause an RD to react until you run the same course on a different RD.
Here’s today’s example of driving and getting barely any K signal (although was a v1) . At points I wondered if it was I/O then got to think was C/O but with such a weak signal that unless something reflected it back to me then I wouldn’t be able to pick it up.

**cough you have a falcon HR you got from someone here , go test it , cough** lol

Choose Life

35.5 hater R3 Day One User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
With a Redline O no filter averaging 1400ft against a Horizontally polarized gun

I'd only expect a standard R3 to get 1550 or so with K filter no TSF and a hot one 1700ft or less

It looks like you may have cool unit unless you've run the same test before

It does seem to be down about 15% of where it should be

Also the R3 destroyed the Redline on Ka band and the difference was much less apparent on K

With that gun anything can happen

It looks like a regular Redline and a cool R3
But would be wrong if tested before

Too3zln

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'd try 1.53 on it and see if that improves it at all.

Autotech198

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ouch. Sounds like your unit is in need of factory service.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
databloke