Oil/Transmission fluid - AUDI - Car maintenance question

CheatDay2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So random question about the best oil for my "performance" car.
To my understanding, hot temperatures kills transmissions.
My 2018 Audi SQ5 is used to tow so I want to make sure I'm running the best ATF fluid to combat high temperatures.

Is it true that keeping "fresh" ATF might help combat wear and tear on the transmission? I think it is recommended to change the ATF fluid at 60K on my vehicle (2018 Audi SQ5). However for piece of mind ,I might change at every 30k.
Normal driving at 75 degrees outside temp for 30 min on the HWY and 5 min in town I saw temps on the ATF fluid yesterday at 161 degrees.
I will be towing tomorrow for 30 min at 55 mph and plan to monitor temps during that trip to get an idea of how hot the temps get. Hoping it doesn't exceed 175. I read anything over 190ish and it starts to cause issues or reduces the life of the transmission.

Also on oil. I plan to change every 5k miles due to it being a performance oriented vehicle and because I tow with it.
I can choose between 0-20w OEM oil, Castarol Edge Professional, or Liquid Moly Long life.
Thoughts on what might provide "more protection"? Around town I see oil temps around 205-215 - Towing on a similar temperature day in the summer, 95 degrees outside, I saw temps of 225-240.

Any advice on fluids or ideas to increase the longevity of my transmission or engine.

Thanks!

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Short answer is your car has sensors to watch for issues related to heat. If you’re not seeing any of those you’re fine. 200 is about as hot as you want a transmission to go. Normal temp will be in the 160 range or just a bit higher so it does not sound like you’re pushing it very hard. I would follow the fluid recommendations for extreme conditions if you want to really stay on top of things. 5k for oil and 30k for trans will be more than enough as long as you are using good quality fluids.

I dont think I read how heavy you’re towing and how often. If its occasionally at 50% you wont really need to even think about it. If you’re close to rating daily like someone with a work truck would be it would be a different story.

Last edited:

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’d be changing around 45-50k as long as you’re not pushing it extremely hard.

CheatDay2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Short answer is your car has sensors to watch for issues related to heat. If you’re not seeing any of those you’re fine. 200 is about as hot as you want a transmission to go. Normal temp will be in the 160 range or just a bit higher so it does not sound like you’re pushing it very hard. I would follow the fluid recommendations for extreme conditions if you want to really stay on top of things. 5k for oil and 30k for trans will be more than enough as long as you are using good quality fluids.

I dont think I read how heavy you’re towing and how often. If its occasionally at 50% you wont really need to even think about it. If you’re close to rating daily like someone with a work truck would be it would be a different story.

I tow heavy, 5500 lbs every weekend for 6 months out of the year. Heavy boat.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would say your fluids are a smaller issue than your ability to stop and control the weight in the event of an emergency when you need to make quick direction changes. The SQ5 is not the best option for that boat. We have a Q5 and I would not use it for more than a family hauler but to each their own. Go with shorter intervals and you will for sure be fine with fluids.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
I tow heavy, 5500 lbs every weekend for 6 months out of the year. Heavy boat.
Is this within manufacturer reccomendations? If so then Audi provided oil should be fine.

Hop on the forums like audizine, I'm sure someone has asked this question before.

CheatDay2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would say your fluids are a smaller issue than your ability to stop and control the weight in the event of an emergency when you need to make quick direction changes. The SQ5 is not the best option for that boat. We have a Q5 and I would not use it for more than a family hauler but to each their own. Go with shorter intervals and you will for sure be fine with fluids.

I got Brembos and 4 disc trailer brakes. No issues.
Post automatically merged:

Is this within manufacturer reccomendations? If so then Audi provided oil should be fine.

Hop on the forums like audizine, I'm sure someone has asked this question before.

Its a little heavy. I understand.

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I like the Luqui Moly Products - my Audi's burn less oil with them compared to Castrol or M1. Although any VW 508/509 spec will be fine, especially if you have an OCI of 5K miles.

I also use the Ceratec every 20K to 30K miles and the MoS2 every oil Change.

Have you considered adding an Transmission Oil Cooler for towing, if you think the temps are high enough?

For further peace of mind you can send your oil into Blackstone for an analysis, that will tell you a lot more than we can. Due to the my previous reports I received from them I no longer change the oil at 5K - I change it at 7.5k,

CheatDay2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I like the Luqui Moly Products - my Audi's burn less oil with them compared to Castrol or M1. Although any VW 508/509 spec will be fine, especially if you have an OCI of 5K miles.

I also use the Ceratec every 20K to 30K miles and the MoS2 every oil Change.

Have you considered adding an Transmission Oil Cooler for towing, if you think the temps are high enough?

For further peace of mind you can send your oil into Blackstone for an analysis, that will tell you a lot more than we can. Due to the my previous reports I received from them I no longer change the oil at 5K - I change it at 7.5k,

I am almost sure the "S" version has an upgraded oil cooler. I can look into that. Got to see what real time temps are first. I might be overly concerned for no reason. lol

I just ordered a black stone kit this week and will send it off when i reach 5k on the current OEM oil. Curious to see the report. :)

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Your concerns for vehicle longevity are directly correlated to your vehicle's fluid longevity. When the fluids begin to degrade, your mechanical parts also degrade at a faster pace.
Now, the oils of today FAR exceed the fluid of even a decade ago buy a good degree. Having been a little overboard myself with oil maintenance, I understand now that I have wasted a lot of money changing fluids too early. Don't worry too much about the brand as long as it meets the specs.
Long story short, look for the severe service intervals in your manual, choose an approved oil, run those fluids with confidence, and change those oils when recommended by your manual.

Bobistheoilguy.com would be a good forum for you to check out.

user

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
First, I think you are stretching the towing limits on the car. Towing as much as you do, I would pick up a 1/2 ton heavy duty or a 3/4 ton pick up. That would be much safer for you and more efficient.

The Audi’s are great cars. I love mine. But they are expensive to repair and to maintain and towing that much and that often is really pushing your luck in my opinion. I am sure that you know this, but excessive heat is the hardest thing on a car and towing definitely builds heat, on the engine, transmission and drive parts.

You should follow the manufacturer recommendations on changing tranny fluid, following the heavy duty recommendations. Over changing the fluids can create issues too.

As far as brands, the Audi are best run on Liqui Molly, again in my opinion. Use the viscosity recommended by the manufacture.

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
from my experience it's good to change the tranny fluid at least once early to clean the pan and change the filter. imo the key is clean and fresh so i would recommend the OEM ATF - I'm sure Audi had completed some sort of testing with the OEM oil

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Check out REDLINE .... I think D4 but the sellers and forums can help you there. It is expensive, but worth it !!

I run REDLINE BRAND D3 and D4 on my DD, WW, GF's G37, F350 WorkTruck, Mom's Crown Vic and never had temp issues.

Benzr

user

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Redline is good oil. Motul is probably the best, but too spendy. Just go with Liqui Molly and you will be fine.

CheatDay2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Update - 30 min drive to the lake. Outside temp - 70 degrees. Max transmission fluid temp I saw was 212 in stop and go traffic up hill.

Curious to monitor this next year when it's 95 degrees outside.

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
What is the tow rating on your SQ5? 4,400 lbs? Sounds like you’re going well over. Can you have an in-line auxiliary cooler added to your transmission at a minimum?

I agree with @user that your best bet would be to go ahead and get a proper towing platform for that purpose. If that’s as heavy as you go, any 4WD half-ton pickup properly configured will be plenty and get the job done better anyway.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
And not kill your more expensive toy 😉😉

Benzr

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggo