TX head worth adding?

infin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
currently run just 2 sensors up front. Thinking of adding a tx also to the front.
what benefits will I gain? In California if that makes any difference. the 2 heads have been working fine for me that I now of, lol.

thanks!

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's not needed but it can't hurt either, all it will do is make the setup more bullet proof than it already is against simple guns.
I've used two heads since 2013, it's been 100% solid since then against everything thrown at it including Poliscan's.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In California I wouldn't bother unless you travel to areas with DragonEye.

infin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It's not needed but it can't hurt either, all it will do is make the setup more bullet proof than it already is against simple guns.
I've used two heads since 2013, it's been 100% solid since then against everything thrown at it including Poliscan's.

thanks, I wonder if the cable for the tx head is the same as the rx, I’m getting ready to install my old system over to my new car and may just buy and run the extra wire now to the front to save me the headache later if I do add the sensor.

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
It is... The Tx comes with a T connector so you can use the same cable as an rx.

ranjha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Off topic but your CPU has been good for 7 years?

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it matter the size of the vehicle? An SUV would need the TX to cover enough area at center mass. Something like a Camry or Charger could get away with 3 RX, even with DE. Am I remembering correctly?
Anyway, I suggest being DE-proof front and back. You never know when you'll travel to DE area or your state upgrades from what they have. I say future proof when you can.

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Off topic but your CPU has been good for 7 years?
Yep, good as day one.

I have suspected problems through time, but they have usually disappeared after updates. I'm sad it won't be updated any further, but it has paid for itself 10x over literally.

ranjha

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yep, good as day one.

I have suspected problems through time, but they have usually disappeared after updates. I'm sad it won't be updated any further, but it has paid for itself 10x over literally.
Really good to know as I was wondering about the quality of the product. I have the latest CPU so here’s to at least 5 years and I’d be happy.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it matter the size of the vehicle? An SUV would need the TX to cover enough area at center mass. Something like a Camry or Charger could get away with 3 RX, even with DE. Am I remembering correctly?
Anyway, I suggest being DE-proof front and back. You never know when you'll travel to DE area or your state upgrades from what they have. I say future proof when you can.
Three rx will do pretty well against DE on all but the largest vehicles, I run three rx on a honda odyssey and am nearly JTG. If you face a lot of DE the tx is a good idea, if not the three rx is solid and in some cases bette thant the tx as you have three heads receiving.

In california you will mostly see LTI guns and maybe stalker XLR two heads are fine for that, if you want to also add a little dragoneye protection in case add a third RX head or the tx.

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Food for thought - if you don’t have a way to test your install but do have the cash for a TX head, it’s good insurance. MUCH more forgiving install - it can cover up for a certain amount of misalignment of the RX heads.

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've got a tow-mirror equipped, full-sized GMC truck with two Rx on the front that's bulletproof against legacy guns and is even JTG against some DE as well.
In California, where currently only legacy guns are being used, I really think the Tx is just spending $400 (by the time you add a GPS if you were running HW2) that you don't really need to spend, especially on the front where I'd just put another Rx on if needed for coverage. NOW, I could see using a Tx, especially on the back, if you were somewhere that you get shot from overhead. I'm currently running 1 Rx 1 Tx on the rear of my car and it's been good against everything I've thrown at it so far. I plan to go to the meet in a few weeks and have more extensive testing done against newer guns.

1601043310152.png

Tx is hidden in the fake Rx sensor housing.

Personally, I think many here are very quick to recommend a Tx but it's probably overkill for a lot of people in the U.S. Even if you are in DE teritory, 3 Rx up front can be better in many cases. I do think though that there is a sweet spot for Tx use on the rear either on smaller cars in conjunction with a single Rx or on larger vehicles with a splitter since you can't run 3 Rx on the back. You really NEED the Tx in that situation.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
There are lots of benefits to the TX Sensors. A TX Sensor has 3 transmitters (2 Horizontal + 1 Vertical) - This gives greater off-axis and overpass protection. It also allows tremendous flexibility with mounting the regular sensors in different angles as well as vertical. Against some Dragon guns a 3 Regular Sensor system might turn into 2 Transmitters and only one receiver which when used in a larger vehicle a single receiver just is not enough coverage. When using the TX sensor it allows both regular sensors to focus on receiving against these difficult guns giving you much better protection.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I thought TX was overkill, but 3 RX wouldn't fit stealthily. 2 RX would. So the TX helped slot into an area where you just would not expect a sensor to be. So even if it is overkill, if you want 3 heads, the size of the TX might help achieve a triple. The size is tiny and would have been alot harder to disguise the centre sensor if it was an RX. So I rate tx on that alone before performance becomes a factor.

event horizons

Chihuahua Daddy
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Last yr we had a meet up in south Fl. One of the members had a large SUV the front had 2 RX and 1 TX well we found out that he needed 2 TX to cover the front that fixed the PT.

Attachments

• TX.JPG
    TX.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 15

Holla

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Last yr we had a meet up in south Fl. One of the members had a large SUV the front had 2 RX and 1 TX well we found out that he needed 2 TX to cover the front that fixed the PT.

What kind of "Large" SUV did he have (a Semi) I find it very difficult to believe any car/suv would need 2 TX to defeat any gun out there today!! Maybe it was a placement issue!

OBeerWANKenobi

ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
There were a combination of issues going on a while back with FW and some guns that may have exacerbated things with those Tx installs.

In the end, just get it tested. If it's good, then don't worry about it... LOL

event horizons

Chihuahua Daddy
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What kind of "Large" SUV did he have (a Semi) I find it very difficult to believe any car/suv would need 2 TX to defeat any gun out there today!! Maybe it was a placement issue!
chevy suburban.
Post automatically merged:

here look at the results

Look at the results.

Attachments

• TX.JPG
    TX.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

SilenceDogoodNinja

driven by data
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
We had similar issues with large vehicles with Fw 5.5.8 which had extremities issue with some DE guns. 5.6.3 solved these issues and drops need in most cases for 2 TX heads

hellcatguy

Retired...Not my problem any more...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My two cents....I have the same body model vehicle as RedRocket. We both have Challengers. He has an RT and I have a Hellcat. I emulated his setup with measurements and positioning etc. His vehicle was bulletproof with three rx heads up front and mine was not against DE. I had to add the tx up front to do so. So the moral to the story is do your install and get tested. The cables are the same, so it's a matter or changing heads if need be, however if you have the coin, the tx is a good investment.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ooflc