JBV1 question about road speed limits.

washaw

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I love that JBV1 can set the V1 to be silent when driving below or at the speed limit. The problem is that JBV1 doesn't seem to always know the speed limit or is very sluggish to update the speed limit when it changes. Waze is very accurate in knowing the speed limits. Is there any way to make JBV1 have accurate speed limits similar to Waze?

NVR2FST

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think @JohnBoy answered a similar question a while back. As a free service he has to work within limitations which others do not. But I'm sure he'll answer for himself.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
For now, all I can advise is to use a 15-second update interval for reverse geocoding. I do plan to implement a mini routing engine with road matching that works a lot better, but I haven't had time to work on it.

Bloovy One

138,000+ miles with JBV1!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've used a few different speed limit apps over the last few years. I was running another app for 6-8 months before Waze added theirs.

I used it in Waze back when you had to type in a long code to get it to show on the screen.

I say the above because Waze was not very good with speed limits at first either.
JBV1 uses OpenStreetMaps for it's speed limit data. Some roads haven't been properly updated in OSM and that's where I see JBV1 falter in some cases.
(A good data connection and 15 second update interval as mentioned by Johnboy00 are important too)

OpenStreetMaps is a service that you can contribute to. Create an account and spend some time learning it and you can add to the collective data with proper info. :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karston