Is the Redline 360c too complicated?

GregTec5

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
LOL but the same could be said about anyone who gets a speeding ticket and doesn't take steps to protect themselves in the future. I was trying to use my friend as an example of people who are not interested in countermeasures but perhaps his disinterest is an anomaly. Responses to my original question seem to indicate that modern radar detectors, like the RL360c, are not too complicated for non-enthusiasts. That's all I was looking for.
How's this for simplicity of the RL360C?

1600964891912.png

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yeah realistically I think that’s the vast majority of drivers. It’s a rare few of us who enjoy spending our free time geeking out on radar detector forums. Even when we spend time trying to explain the settings as easily as we can, it seems most people just want a box that beeps when there’s a cop, stays silent otherwise, and they don’t want to dive in much deeper than that.

That’s totally fine as a way to do things. It’s just different from how many of us approach things in our RDF bubble. :)
Right and while that's the perspective I intended the question to be viewed from, I know it's not easy to step into the mindset of someone who doesn't have a passion for this technology. I know it is for me, "what do you mean you're not interested???" "Do you like getting tickets???" "This is easy!!!" of course, all of that might be said under my breath but I suppose it's similar to when someone is trying to get me interested in soccer (yawn), LOL!

ICULookin

Road Terror- ICU watching
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yeah realistically I think that’s the vast majority of drivers. It’s a rare few of us who enjoy spending our free time geeking out on radar detector forums. Even when we spend time trying to explain the settings as easily as we can, it seems most people just want a box that beeps when there’s a cop, stays silent otherwise, and they don’t want to dive in much deeper than that.

That’s totally fine as a way to do things. It’s just different from how many of us approach things in our RDF bubble. :)

I think the vast majority of people like him just view all radar detectors as we see the up coming Thiea is- it beeps therefore its a cop. Unfortunately that's not the case. Its far more complicated than that with the current detector world we live in.

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
How's this for simplicity of the RL360C?

View attachment 160151
That is after you have to download Live, register your device and set up and account - and then Pair your Phone (which is not intuitive) and to set your cruise alert speed for those basic alerts. Then you have to understand that if you lose internet then the LIVE speed freezes - and you have to Learn how to use Live and what some of those settings mean or you get constant overspeed alerts - and you still might get them if you don't change the settings in the detector.

Not to terribly difficult - but there are a whole lot of people that would not consider that simple. It does take at least some effort to get there. You cannot just plug it in and drive.

GregTec5

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That is after you have to download Live, register your device and set up and account - and then Pair your Phone (which is not intuitive) and to set your cruise alert speed for those basic alerts. Then you have to understand that if you lose internet then the LIVE speed freezes - and you have to Learn how to use Live and what some of those settings mean or you get constant overspeed alerts - and you still might get them if you don't change the settings in the detector.

Not to terribly difficult - but there are a whole lot of people that would not consider that simple. It does take at least some effort to get there. You cannot just plug it in and drive.
Perhaps one should just go the speed limit then. ;)

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score

Something I forgot to mention, that was the second time I gave that V1 to a friend. I have an Audi and after riding in it, this friend bought one also. I was having a conversation with him about driving safely, he "seemed" interested when I talked about CM. He's a good friend, I've known him for 35 years, I had the V1 and thought he could make good use of it. He too, was happy at first to have the detector but the power cord was a bit worn and it would randomly shut off, I told him where to order a replacement. Well, he didn't get a new power cord and the V1 sat in his trunk for several months. Eventually, he wanted to return it because he didn't use it and didn't want it taking up space in his trunk! He wasn't being rude or ungrateful, he was just being the idiot I've known for 35 years, LOL! Money is not an issue with this guy yet, he couldn't be bothered ordering a power cord online. I can only imagine how he'd deal with having to set up a V1G2!

GregTec5

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Something I forgot to mention, that was the second time I gave that V1 to a friend. I have an Audi and after riding in it, this friend bought one also. I was having a conversation with him about driving safely, he "seemed" interested when I talked about CM. He's a good friend, I've known him for 35 years, I had the V1 and thought he could make good use of it. He too, was happy at first to have the detector but the power cord was a bit worn and it would randomly shut off, I told him where to order a replacement. Well, he didn't get a new power cord and the V1 sat in his trunk for several months. Eventually, he wanted to return it because he didn't use it and didn't want it taking up space in his trunk! He wasn't being rude or ungrateful, he was just being the idiot I've known for 35 years, LOL! Money is not an issue with this guy yet, he couldn't be bothered ordering a power cord online. I can only imagine how he'd deal with having to set up a V1G2!
Good friend you are giving away detectors. Can we be friends haha? :cool:

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Good friend you are giving away detectors. Can we be friends haha? :cool:
LOL, he's been a good friend to me also, in this case it wasn't a big deal.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I can only imagine how he'd deal with having to set up a V1G2!

lol... Yeah this exactly the type of thing I think about when people say "Oh just run JBV1 on your phone. It's fully automatic and you don't have to mess with your phone every time you get in your car!"

What many of us consider easy and no big deal is very different from what others perceive as simple and easy. I see a lot of that in YouTube comments and despite there being a fair number of knowledgeable and technical people on YouTube too, it's a different world than the forums. One thing I love about being on RDF is that the minimum baseline level of understanding is already much higher than what we see elsewhere so we can (usually) get into things directly without having to clarify as many of the fundamentals and terminology.

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
lol... Yeah this exactly the type of thing I think about when people say "Oh just run JBV1 on your phone. It's fully automatic and you don't have to mess with your phone every time you get in your car!"

What many of us consider easy and no big deal is very different from what others perceive as simple and easy. I see a lot of that in YouTube comments and despite there being a fair number of knowledgeable and technical people on YouTube too, it's a different world than the forums. One thing I love about being on RDF is that the minimum baseline level of understanding is already much higher than what we see elsewhere so we can (usually) get into things directly without having to clarify as many of the fundamentals and terminology.
True that!

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Perhaps one should just go the speed limit then. ;)

I disagree, we all need rabbits... :p

I wonder what the return rate is on these at the box stores because someone thought they were too complicated?

GregTec5

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

One can only imagine what you have deal with outside RDF. :spazface: I bet number one is, "My detector went off and I didn't see a cop and/or I saw a cop but my detector didn't go off."

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
One can only imagine what you have deal with outside RDF. :spazface: I bet number one is, "My detector went off and I didn't see a cop and/or I saw a cop but my detector didn't go off."

All the time, despite several videos on the subject... A few other common ones:
  • "What's the best radar?"
  • "I don't want to watch a 30 minute video. Why can't you just tell me which one I should buy?"
  • "Why do you need a radar detector? Just don't speed."
  • "I'm having a problem with XYZ. Can you help me with tech support?"
  • "What's your phone number? I want to ask you some questions."
  • "I like ABC, but you like XYZ. You must be paid/sponsored/biased/lying."
:p :p

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I disagree, we all need rabbits... :p

I wonder what the return rate is on these at the box stores because someone thought they were too complicated?
Good question. People don't always give a straight answer when asked why they're returning something and it won't provide a big enough sampling to rely on but next time I'm in Best Buy, I'll ask.
Post automatically merged:

All the time, despite several videos on the subject... A few other common ones:
  • "What's the best radar?"
  • "I don't want to watch a 30 minute video. Why can't you just tell me which one I should buy?"
  • "Why do you need a radar detector? Just don't speed."
  • "I'm having a problem with XYZ. Can you help me with tech support?"
  • "What's your phone number? I want to ask you some questions."
  • "I like ABC, but you like XYZ. You must be paid/sponsored/biased/lying."
:p :p
That must make you want to bang your head against a wall!

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The Redline 360 might be the LEAST complicated RD in the market today. Basically plug n play. So easy, in fact, that even this guy can operate it (as long as he’s not behind the wheel of course).

1601000125775.jpeg

Disco47

Roll Tide
Beginner User
Reaction score
Technology be hard...
282de7d6e6c8450b0b828174e5b0da42.jpg

HZ360C

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Anyone thinks having a radar detector equals immune from tickets, that mentality itself is to have a ticket waiting for you in the near future. It has nothing to do how simply and plug and play a detector might be. Have a detector is all about situation awareness, and until you accept it is still your own responsibility to know when, where, and what you should and shouldn’t do, there is nothing to protect you from getting a ticket (or more for that matter).

LegaZ88Z

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
You have to realize that for the general population, they just doesnt understand how into the details we are. Nor do they care to be. People who frequent this site, as into this tech as we are, this is our nerd outlet. I have turned a few friends onto different detectors (and theyve been thankful) But, when i start talking all the nuances to them their minds start getting overloaded. This hobby isnt for everyone. Im just glad i found a group that understands me. :)

Monus Brewer

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There is some learning curve with any detector, even more plug-and-play ones. Even things like why it beeps when there’s no cops around and why it may stay silent right next to a cop.

I think Theia may wind up being the easiest detector to use yet. No more worries about programming options like segmentation or TSR, dealing with BSM falses, or even needing to turn individual bands on and off.

If the detector can do a better job of simply knowing whether a radar source is coming from a police radar gun or not, that would make things so much easier...
Maybe it's me but it seems one of the easy things to do.... Kinda Wouldn't it be nice feature.... Have the GPS automatically determine the GEO location and turn on and bands and band segments. To me that would an amazing feature. I am sure the software to do that is a rather large file for such a simple feature. Just a thought...

Seems to me like a lot of settings could be automatically implemented based on GPS like speed data utilization, GEO location, change colors day/night modes lots of stuff. I know wrong post. 😂

Stepping off my soap box. 🤣

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pflaugh