Net radar non dsp worth upgrading?

infin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Have a non dsp unit, is it worth upgrading or just get a standalone detector?

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thats a "toughie".

NET RADAR Original is comparable to the Radenso XP. Better than mid grade by a little.

The NRDSP MANY of us RDF 'rs just put the
NR-O on the Rear and purchased outright the NRDSP for the front.

Here's the rub ... ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿง๐Ÿง

Theia coming out soon as a WS Detector will
Outclass both NRDSP and NR-O, V1G2, and R7.

NR is pretty [email protected] chatty on the K Band and BSMs. Albeit quieter with the NRDSP vs NR-O

I like the idea of remotes (why i run 'em)

But [email protected] the WS R7, V1G2 beat our Remote Systems now ... sigh.

So i just made your decision a WHOLE LOT HARDER !!

Benzr

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In my experience the NR-DSP is comparable in range on Ka 34.7 at least to my V1G2 and R7. The K Band chattiness, well that is something else to consider. Keep contributing to the forums and once you hit beginner level, you will have access to the RDF classifieds. As @benzr suggested, you could keep the NR-O for a rear and get a second hand DSP for the front.

crimson96

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have the NRDSP, I personally do not find it chatty on K band - it's actually a lot quieter than the Randenso ProM (windshield mount) it replaced. I guess the settings etc will influence how noisy it is. I essentially used the NRDSP settings Vortex recommended and it works better than my ProM (for me).
MRCD is not quite as good on NRDSP as ProM but very close (I have a TON of MRCD fixed camera locations here).
Theia - way, way off before we'll ever see a remote unit - way too long for me to wait. I will, under no circumstances run a windshield mount - illegal here. That's why I sold the Pro M and got the NRDSP - and I have done that very recently. I am, actually much happier with my NRDSP vs ProM - not saying one is better, but that's my preference/opinion.
That's my perspective, everyone is different, but hope that helps.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In terms of range and filtering the DSP is a definite upgrade over the original Netradar antenna. there are a few netradar DSP for sale at good prices in the classified here which is open to beginner members (50 posts)

thanks

for all the fish
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I primarily run the V1G2 and have the NRDSP F/R. I find I turn it on in NYC and it does a decent job picking up MR?? speed cams throughout the city

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
I have the NRDSP, I personally do not find it chatty on K band - it's actually a lot quieter than the Randenso ProM (windshield mount) it replaced. I guess the settings etc will influence how noisy it is. I essentially used the NRDSP settings Vortex recommended and it works better than my ProM (for me).
MRCD is not quite as good on NRDSP as ProM but very close (I have a TON of MRCD fixed camera locations here).
Theia - way, way off before we'll ever see a remote unit - way too long for me to wait. I will, under no circumstances run a windshield mount - illegal here. That's why I sold the Pro M and got the NRDSP - and I have done that very recently. I am, actually much happier with my NRDSP vs ProM - not saying one is better, but that's my preference/opinion.
That's my perspective, everyone is different, but hope that helps.
What are the settings Vortex recommended??

Link or list pls. I will try that and THANKS ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

I am running
YELLOW X7 and k6
RED X9 and k7.

What other settings quiet it down ??

Benzr

crimson96

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Last edited:

nighthawk

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Adding to what everyone else has said, the NR-DSP is definitely an upgrade in comparison with the NR-O.

- MRCD detection is pretty good. I have some footage of a photoradar truck and the detection distance is ~400-500ft for the one given scenario.
- A lot less chatty for K band
- Great Ka performance

If upgrading isn't a pressing issue I would wait for a while and see how things shake out. There is quite the difference on detection balance from front to rear (to be expected) when you have front and rear protection, but overall the NR-O is a pretty decent antenna.

benzr

Advanced User
Reaction score
Here it is: https://www.vortexradar.com/2018/01/how-to-set-up-configure-the-net-radar-dsp-radar-detector/amp/
Only thing I have different is MRCD is on.
On another note, I believe the DSP is a lot more stealthy than the original, obviously important to me.
Thanks for the Link my friend.

Yeah thats what i run except k traffic filter is ON on mine.

Still chatty. Albeit after i replaced my bad alp sensor it APPEARs quieter. Could be cooincidence. And k sign went away as well

Yeah MOST OF US just put NR-O on rear and called it a day. ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

Benzr
Post automatically merged:

Have a non dsp unit, is it worth upgrading or just get a standalone detector?
@infin

8 more thoughtful posts and uou can access our classifieds here at RDF as @thebravo stated earlier

Plenty of used DSP antennaes there. Btw: make sure you get the RG3 unit as it is required for DSP to function. You also need the GPS antennae too.

Good Luck on your choice(s). ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

Benzr

Last edited:

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Don't forget about ARF! It's a little hard to manage since you can't really see what you have stored, but in my experience you can get it to be pretty effective against BSM systems. It's easy to forget about it because it's not in Vortex's guide and it was announced on the ALP subforum instead of this one.

infin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wow, thanks everyone for the in depth replies. Definitely making my decision much harder. I recently pulled the system from my older car and debating to install it in my new. I think I will wait and see what comes, I have a v1g1 that has been treating me well so I will continue to use it along with my alp setup. Just upgraded the alp also since they were offering the upgrade on it, didnโ€™t know what to do with the NR-O yet. I donโ€™t use K at all here in California.

thanks for the tip on making a few more posts, I have been on this board for awhile, mainly gathering info, but definitely be nice to access the classifieds.

utah62

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Can this unit be used in Europe? We use in NL mrct and Gatso.

EightyFiveHundred

-/-\- v10 (00=[][]=00) ///M5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I donโ€™t use K at all here in California.
If you're in CA, then move the NR-O to the rear; shut off K and run 34.7 for CHP. We don't have to worry about MRCD or BSM, if you're running 34.7.

I run the NR/DSP up front and NR-O for the rear. I switch bands and filter with the front NR/DSP via the different profiles. The rear NR-O stays on 34.7. The front NR/DSP changes based on where I'm roaming.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fauxshowpony