TMG install help on 2015 VW Tiguan with slanted grill

Trike

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm starting to prep for a TMG install on my 2015 VW Tiguan. I'll be using 3 heads for the front (2 regular + 1 VPR) and 2 heads for the rear.
Can you guys give me some placement suggestions? If you look at my pics, you'll see the grill is slanted. Depending on how recessed the heads are into the grill, I'm worried about the field of view when the heads transmits. I don't know how big the beam pattern is a few inches away from the head, but I don't want the grill to obstruct the heads transmitting. Do I need to worry about the grill slats blocking part of the beam when it transmits back?

For the front, I was thinking of mounting the 2 heads on the on the upper lip of the lowest grill slat closest to each headlight. Then mount the VPR head in the middle grill slat next to the emblem. Any better placement suggestions?

I would like a more stealthy install, but I'm having issues finding some perspex at a reasonable price in the US.

Thanks guys!

20200904_132510.jpg
20200904_133603.jpg

20200904_133628.jpg
20200904_161108.jpg

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would mount the outside heads in the middle opening, which is what I think you're describing, close to the head lights and the VPR head just under the VW emblem.
Post automatically merged:

If you look at my pics, you'll see the grill is slanted. Depending on how recessed the heads are into the grill, I'm worried about the field of view when the heads transmits. I don't know how big the beam pattern is a few inches away from the head, but I don't want the grill to obstruct the heads transmitting. Do I need to worry about the grill slats blocking part of the beam when it transmits back?
Yes, your heads need to be level and you should not recess them where immediately adjacent grill elements would block them in any way. Typically making sure they are flush is enough.

Last edited:

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would mount the outside heads in the middle opening, which is what I think you're describing, close to the head lights and the VPR head just under the VW emblem.

Yes, your heads need to be level and you should not recess them where immediately adjacent grill elements would block them in any way. Typically making sure they are flush is enough.
@Jag42
@Kennyc56
@Transporter

???

I concur center slat on sides

TMGs prefer a A scenario vs a V scenario in most cases

The vpr should NEVER be mounted all three in a horiz line.

Now on yours a V might be a better configuration
Just under vw logo centered

GET IT TESTED as always 🤓🤓😎😎

Benzr

Trike

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Here are some pics with it in the middle and bottom slats. I just taped the head on to get an idea of what it'll look like. The mounting bracket will add a gap between the slat and head.

20200923_101815.jpg
20200923_101821.jpg
20200923_101833.jpg
20200923_102022.jpg
20200923_102036.jpg
20200923_102041.jpg

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Defiantly middle. You also might want to have them ever so slightly further out so they are just peeking beyond the mounting surface. As @benzr noted, be sure to get tested and be able to make adjustments. There are a lot of factors and every car is a little unique.

Trike

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What do you think the best option would be? Two in the middle and the vpr head in the lower middle next to the emblem like what doubleedge and benzr mentioned?

I may have to attach a bigger mounting surface onto the grill to mount the heads. The plastic lip on the grill doesn't have a lot of depth.

Thanks for the tips guys, can't wait to start installing it.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What do you think the best option would be? Two in the middle and the vpr head in the lower middle next to the emblem like what doubleedge and benzr mentioned?

I may have to attach a bigger mounting surface onto the grill to mount the heads. The plastic lip on the grill doesn't have a lot of depth.

Thanks for the tips guys, can't wait to start installing it.
I agree with the others--on the front, middle slat and as far apart as possible. VPR below emblem. On the back, same idea, spread them out! Your car is easy peasy! You could also consider using Sugru moldable glue on each end. It is really easy to work with and making them level (slanted grill and probably slightly slanted rear plate area) is really easy. Use a 20" radius and make sure everything is covered within that.

Trike

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the tips. I'm going get some acrylic to mount onto the grill to use as a mounting platform for the heads. There isn't enough material to mount it where I want to on the grill. I'll post some pics once I start on it.

Autotech198

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the tips. I'm going get some acrylic to mount onto the grill to use as a mounting platform for the heads. There isn't enough material to mount it where I want to on the grill. I'll post some pics once I start on it.
This may be helpful.

Trike

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
This may be helpful.
Thanks, I've taken my bumper off a few times already. The first time was the hardest. I can take it off pretty quick now.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Trike

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've used the 30# Gorilla double sided tape on several installs. It works well!
Thanks, I plan on using 3m VHB with some additional adhesive to make sure it stays on permanently.

event horizons

Chihuahua Daddy
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks, I plan on using 3m VHB with some additional adhesive to make sure it stays on permanently.

Use Sugru epoxy its better.

Here are some pics with it in the middle and bottom slats. I just taped the head on to get an idea of what it'll look like. The mounting bracket will add a gap between the slat and head.

View attachment 160083 View attachment 160084 View attachment 160085 View attachment 160086 View attachment 160087 View attachment 160088
take a photo looking down front of Hood downwards so we can see how the heads line up.

Autotech198

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
There is not much material on your grill, don't even waste your time, a car wash will ruin your install. I use a C-Bracket from home depot or lowes on cars like yours painted black mounted BEHIND the grill, screwed into the top of bumper. That way the heads can be adjusted anyway you like. In , out, up,down,left,right.
Trim to fit,bent to fit, paint to match.
Double side industrial tape the sensor to it. Enjoy.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Simpson-St..._aSsSoJdzwpaaFXBKcWSunvqHgXYIaAo3wEALw_wcB[/U

Also, I like how neat and level your tools are mounted in the garage. I'm sure your sensors will be level and straight.

Last edited:

event horizons

Chihuahua Daddy
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There is not much material on your grill, don't even waste your time, a car wash will ruin your install. I use a C-Bracket from home depot or lowes on cars like yours painted black mounted BEHIND the grill, screwed into the top of bumper. That way the heads can be adjusted anyway you like. In , out, up,down,left,right.
Trim to fit,bent to fit, paint to match.
Double side industrial tape the sensor to it. Enjoy.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Simpson-St...Uc8_aSsSoJdzwpaaFXBKcWSunvqHgXYIaAo3wEALw_wcB[/U

Also, I like how neat and level your tools are mounted in the garage. I'm sure your sensors will be level and straight.
Photos?

event horizons

Chihuahua Daddy
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The above post shows the bracket? What photos are you wanting?
Stand in front of the car, then look straight down, so you see your sensors looking down so we can see if the are in a straight line with the car. Also we can see if they are to far in or toe in or out or too far inwards.

Trike

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'll get some pics once I start installing them. The pics I posted are just mock up with some gaff tape. I don't have the brackets shown either. Still waiting on some parts to show up and trying to see if I can find some perspex locally.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmednofal