Cop cars and radar

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
What's the latest and greatest on that list (most modern)?
That info might be old.
I'll correct my post as well, as I think I've got this wrong by saying the 33. Won't be picked up by some detectors. Think I'm referring to 23. For Redflex. Think that's the problem with some detectors. So most detectors should pick these guns up right?
(I'll edit this)
I dont keep up to date on the Guns that are not used where I drive - but the most of those are currently available to purchase..

Here is NYS's current contracts for what they can buy new today. I may not be a full list, but its close - you can see what the radar companies are shipping today.
Stalker
Kustom
MPH

The detectors pick up all these guns - Including 33.8 - its the K band lower than 24.00 that caused issues with the R3, since it did not scan down that low. You need a detector can can go lower like 23.950 for the Redflex.

Last edited:

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
All good. Just curious if we're on par with current tech elsewhere, or lagging behind a little on these devices.
Post automatically merged:

Wanted to also ask, as some of these are directional (front and rear directions), what's the angle of detection capable?
E.G car turns a corner 90 degrees, can it detect at that angle front on?
I'm probably not giving a good example here but I'll word it better when I can. Or should I say if the antenna is forward facing, does it detect 90 degrees left and right of front facing or what's the angle on these devices? Or another way of putting it, does a front and rear antenna give 360 degree speed measurement?
Trying to figure this out based on the fact roads aren't straight at all times kinda thing. Sorry if it's a stupid question, and understand each model varies no doubt.

Last edited:

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
All good. Just curious if we're on par with current tech elsewhere, or lagging behind a little on these devices.

Wanted to also ask, as some of these are directional (front and rear directions), what's the angle of detection capable?
E.G car turns a corner 90 degrees, can it detect at that angle front on?
I'm probably not giving a good example here but I'll word it better when I can. Or should I say if the antenna is forward facing, does it detect 90 degrees left and right of front facing or what's the angle on these devices? Or another way of putting it, does a front and rear antenna give 360 degree speed measurement?
Trying to figure this out based on the fact roads aren't straight at all times kinda thing. Sorry if it's a stupid question, and understand each model varies no doubt.

Read up on cosine errors, all models work similar in this regard - As the angle of incident increases the speed of the vehicle will appear lower and lower to the radar gun. The error is always in the drivers favor and never causes a reading that is more then the actual speed, always less.

The radar gun is measuring the distance you are from the gun and the time it take to move that distance. As you approach head on to the gun there is no error. As you angle away from the gun the error increases until you are 90 degrees - essentially parallel to the gun. If you are 5 degrees off there is little error - but when you are 90 degrees off you are not moving relative to the distance from the gun and it would not get a speed reading.

This is why for patrol vehicle mounted guns they have to position the car and/or the antenna in such a fashion that they not only catch the vehicle in the beam but also ensure there is little cosine error with the angle. If you ever use one of these you will see its possible that if you don't "aim" it correctly you may not catch a car in the beam when you I/O or you will see speed errors from being too off axis relative to the target.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Read up on cosine errors, all models work similar in this regard - As the angle of incident increases the speed of the vehicle will appear lower and lower to the radar gun. The error is always in the drivers favor and never causes a reading that is more then the actual speed, always less.

The radar gun is measuring the distance you are from the gun and the time it take to move that distance. As you approach head on to the gun there is no error. As you angle away from the gun the error increases until you are 90 degrees - essentially parallel to the gun. If you are 5 degrees off there is little error - but when you are 90 degrees off you are not moving relative to the distance from the gun and it would not get a speed reading.

This is why for patrol vehicle mounted guns they have to position the car and/or the antenna in such a fashion that they not only catch the vehicle in the beam but also ensure there is little cosine error with the angle. If you ever use one of these you will see its possible that if you don't "aim" it correctly you may not catch a car in the beam when you I/O or you will see speed errors from being too off axis relative to the target.
Perfect explanation I was looking for! Spot on. Thanks very much. Exactly what I was thinking in regard to measurements and angles.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that. A cop could say anything, and as he's in uniform, it's got weight behind it.
Sure, you're always on the back foot in regards to their word having more truth than yours, and no guarantee ever you'll overturn it. It would be a save for the license points and not the cash. Still going to cost money either way you look at it isn't it?

OK, let's keep it clean. Edited it out.
Yeah, you really only defend it to stick it to the man, not be a sheeple. I remember one rich lister here some years ago who had a traffic expert lawyer on retainer. The cops hated it, he won more than he lost.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah, you really only defend it to stick it to the man, not be a sheeple. I remember one rich lister here some years ago who had a traffic expert lawyer on retainer. The cops hated it, he won more than he lost.
Wouldn't that be fun!
On that note, I read this recently. Cracked me up!

Last edited:

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Perfect explanation I was looking for! Spot on. Thanks very much. Exactly what I was thinking in regard to measurements and angles.
unsure if you also remember but not only the cosine affect but polarization was also an issiue back in the day.. specially back in the wet film 6 F days

some mounted there detectors vertical to match

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shemp