Cop cars and radar

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Let me know if there's info on this already.
During my time on here researching, I've spent alot of time reading on lidar. Lots of time on cameras.
Was getting bored, but kept forgetting to get around to asking about cop cars.
Thinking about highway patrol cars, and they're cruising around doing their thing as they do. I want to start looking at what's in the car and what's being used while they're moving.
Other than a visual speed detection, E.g you're doing faster than the speed limit, the car is behind you following at the same speed, not difficult to look at the speedo and figure out what's going on.
So that's one easy way to get a measure.
What devices are they using to catch oncoming traffic as well as cars travelling in the same direction while moving?
Is there any type of speed measurement device fitted to detect speeding (I presume so), or a type of rolling radar?
I've never looked into this area, so I've a bit to learn about what's going on in the car and do detectors cover this (Rd used as a cop car detector, or to detect the types of equipment used for rolling radar).
Definitely an area I've never looked into so I thought I'd throw this out there to learn more.
Cheers

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Let me know if there's info on this already.
During my time on here researching, I've spent alot of time reading on lidar. Lots of time on cameras.
Was getting bored, but kept forgetting to get around to asking about cop cars.
Thinking about highway patrol cars, and they're cruising around doing their thing as they do. I want to start looking at what's in the car and what's being used while they're moving.
Other than a visual speed detection, E.g you're doing faster than the speed limit, the car is behind you following at the same speed, not difficult to look at the speedo and figure out what's going on.
So that's one easy way to get a measure.
What devices are they using to catch oncoming traffic as well as cars travelling in the same direction while moving?
Is there any type of speed measurement device fitted to detect speeding (I presume so), or a type of rolling radar?
I've never looked into this area, so I've a bit to learn about what's going on in the car and do detectors cover this (Rd used as a cop car detector, or to detect the types of equipment used for rolling radar).
Definitely an area I've never looked into so I thought I'd throw this out there to learn more.
Cheers
depending on where you live they may use different types of radar eqiupment and frequencys
there is a chart floating around that shows types of threats to each state

here in WA Kustom Signals units are mainly used
this unit can be handheld or dash mounted

Last edited:

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Todays Radar guns designed for it can easily to get speed while moving. Look up the Stalker DSR 2x for Example. That system has front and rear antennas that can get 2 cars each so 4 between the front and rear antennas (fastest and largest). They can get readings coming and going, while they are moving and stationary.

The unit itself can determine the speed of the car from the background reflections of the radar, it uses that information to calculate a targets speed. Other systems have used the information from the speedo to determine patrol speed.

There are a few limitations for these systems to prevent possible errors, like the difference between patrol speed and the target, etc.

With the right Leo (and a remote) these systems are quite effective and a lot of LEOs prefer them over laser, since you can use them while moving, don't have to keep one eye closed 1/2 of the day, can hide a little better and around here the weather is not always warm enough to have your window down - Plus you can use the radar while moving.

One of the most difficult enforcement scenarios that I see is moving Instant On.

There are lots of threads and videos on the operation of these units and their capabilities

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I get ya. So some are both hand held and and car mountable. I wondered if it was the same thing, or a completely separate and permanent car mounted type setup.

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I get ya. So some are both hand held and and car mountable. I wondered if it was the same thing, or a completely separate and permanent car mounted type setup.
like said depending on location they use different things some units do offer duel antennas
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Was just reading up on the duel antenna. K band.
How detectable are they, and let's say we're in the scrub in the country, fanging through farmland so there's no falses or interference or car bsm's? One on one on the open road and this creeps up behind or oncoming?
Detection range?
Type of detectors used?

The Golden Eagle in the link sounds full on.

Last edited:

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
How detectable are they, and let's say we're in the scrub in the country, fanging through farmland so there's no falses or interference or car bsm's? One on one on the open road and this creeps up behind or oncoming?
Detection range?
Type of detectors used?
unfortunattly radar can be just as deadly as lidar .. I/O AKA Instant On ..this is why radar detector users use a rabbit

Last edited:

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Around me they Run Stalker DSR 2X for KaBand front and rear (https://www.stalkerradar.com/law_2X.php) Many units have separate displays for front and rear, can use fastest/strongest signals to help identify what vehicle is the culprit, some units have same lane or opoosite lane filtering to again help pinpoint the vehicles better. The detection range of the handheld/vs mounted units is about the same, except for some of the low powered Kband stuff which is not as easy to detect.

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Detection range?
Type of detectors used?

The Golden Eagle in the link sounds full on.

Detection range depends on the detector you use, terrain and weather conditions. But my V1 will generally pickup a Stalker Ka around 2 miles out. The Uniden R has done as well as 6 miles.

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Think NR is pretty much an app based R1. Not to say they're the same tho.
Hmmm.... All the input given here has me thinking.
I see Cm's as a 3 prong thing. You've got lidar, the cameras (stationary/fixed), then the cop car.
I've been slack to read up on this but good to get around to it finally. I'll have to call it a night for now, but definitely be back to read up more on this. Much appreciated everyone chipping in, that's good of you lot to help out. I'll drop back in tomorrow for more. Look after yourselves in meantime.

snomad

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
depending on where you live they may use different types of radar eqiupment and frequencys
there is a chart floating around that shows types of threats to each state

here in WA Kustom Signals units are mainly used
this unit can be handheld or dash mounted
I run into a lot of K band in Washington especially the county sheriff departments and small towns.

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I run into a lot of K band in Washington especially the county sheriff departments and small towns.
i dont think washington is in WA of australia ..but thanks for the heads up :)

Last edited:

snomad

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
i dont think washington is in WA of australia ..but thanks for the heads up :)
my bad. sorry. where I'm from, Washington, WA is the postal abbreviation for Washington and, it was early...lol.

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
my bad. sorry. where I'm from, Washington, WA is the postal abbreviation for Washington and, it was early...lol.
all good mate.. as for washington how are things up your way ?

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
IIRC The OP is from NZ?
Down here the cops only use Stalkers on 34.7 for mobile radar. They're in Commodores (marked and unmarked) and Holden Equinox SUVs. You can also see them in dog vans and CVIU utilities. I also saw a Holden Captiva marked unit down south on the Pig route back in 2013. The t wat almost took us out when he pulled out in front of us to go chase some bikers.
The devices are usually in 34.6xx - 34.7xx.
I often strike a mix of C/O and I/O, so that first beep is when I roll off.
Sometimes you will get a stationary speed trap. Recently I've seen them on SH1, SH27, SH36 and SH24.
As for pursuit checks, I doubt they're used much at all. I'm not even sure the cops are calibrating their speedos now.
Estimated speeds are possible, but I'd defend any estimated speed ticket.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bilo