??? For those who bought Android device just for JBV1...

Saunders17283

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So I've been an iPhone user since the very first iPhone (the 4GB version). Our whole house is in the Apple EcoSystem.

This is to say I know NOTHING about Android and even less about prepaid phones. Well, I went out and bought a Boost Mobile Samsung a10e at WalMart this weekend. I've got it all setup and happily running (the only things it will probably ever run) JBV1, Waze & Highway Radar.

Here's my question...I keep getting pop-ups every once & a while wanting me to activate the phone with Boost. Is there a way to say, "back off...I don't want to activate it"?

Thanks!

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Try putting it in airplane mode, and then turning wi-fi back on manually, if necessary. That will turn off the cellular modem, and maybe the activate notifications as well.

Saunders17283

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Will give that a shot! Wasn't sure if I would lose any other connection methods needed that way. Doesn't connectivity to the V1Gen2 require bluetooth? Does GPS play into airplane mode on Android? I don't think GPS is included in airplane mode on iOS.
Post automatically merged:

It actually just popped up again. I may have misspoken. It says it is a "Profile Update" not an activation request. I believe this could be referring to a profile from the ISP which is Boost Mobile via Sprint in this situation.

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I am an iphone loyal guy too, so understand where you are coming from.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Will give that a shot! Wasn't sure if I would lose any other connection methods needed that way. Doesn't connectivity to the V1Gen2 require bluetooth? Does GPS play into airplane mode on Android? I don't think GPS is included in airplane mode on iOS.

Whatever is turned off when you enable airplane mode, you can turn back on manually, and it will stay on. The cellular modem will remain disabled.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I tried for a while to use my iPhone as a hotspot for the Android device I bought to run JBV1 but it required me to fiddle with it each time I got in the car to go somewhere. Maybe not every time but enough that I just put a plan on the device. I have it mounted in a way that it stays in the car full time and starts with the car. It just works. Long term its going to kill the battery being connected to power but if all it ever is for is in car use then it will be able to perform long term.

Point is, while you can run it without a plan you might look into the cheapest plan you can get since it makes it a nice all in one. Also, dont use JBV1 and Highway Radar at the same time. Multiple Google services are noticed by them and you might see your service interrupted. Thats what I hear anyhow.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
With android, the rom support (custom roms) can be just as important than the hardware (phone brand) you buy.

Personally, I've found the best way to run an android phone without a plan is to pick a phone that can run a generic android Rom like Lineage. Most branded phones come with too much junk on them. The pixel and oneplus phones are also pretty good out of the box.

Minimally, you may want to root your phone so you can disable as much junk as you can.

If you don't want to pay for an extra service plan, try setting up bluetooth tethering. I've never done it between iphone and android, but on an android phone you can leave it on all the time and it won't noticably affect your battery life. While bluetooth tethering is slower than normal wifi, its plenty fast for jbv1 or highway radar.

TominVirginia

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
So I've been an iPhone user since the very first iPhone (the 4GB version). Our whole house is in the Apple EcoSystem.

This is to say I know NOTHING about Android and even less about prepaid phones. Well, I went out and bought a Boost Mobile Samsung a10e at WalMart this weekend. I've got it all setup and happily running (the only things it will probably ever run) JBV1, Waze & Highway Radar.

Here's my question...I keep getting pop-ups every once & a while wanting me to activate the phone with Boost. Is there a way to say, "back off...I don't want to activate it"?

Thanks!
Why dont you just activate the phone? That way it operates how and where you expect and need it?

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Why dont you just activate the phone? That way it operates how and where you expect and need it?
Not to speak for anyone, I avoided it at first because it felt like a subscription service to have detection. I finally gave in and added the plan and its easier but I try for a while at least to avoid extra fees.

TominVirginia

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Not to speak for anyone, I avoided it at first because it felt like a subscription service to have detection. I finally gave in and added the plan and its easier but I try for a while at least to avoid extra fees.
Understand but they all track you by the nature of cellular they kind of have too. At least with PP and your minimal use of apps it will be less. I am more worried about what Google knows about me than does my mobile provider.

Saunders17283

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I tried for a while to use my iPhone as a hotspot for the Android device I bought to run JBV1 but it required me to fiddle with it each time I got in the car to go somewhere. Maybe not every time but enough that I just put a plan on the device. I have it mounted in a way that it stays in the car full time and starts with the car. It just works. Long term its going to kill the battery being connected to power but if all it ever is for is in car use then it will be able to perform long term.

Point is, while you can run it without a plan you might look into the cheapest plan you can get since it makes it a nice all in one. Also, dont use JBV1 and Highway Radar at the same time. Multiple Google services are noticed by them and you might see your service interrupted. Thats what I hear anyhow.

Thanks @R4D4RUS3R but my vehicle has a built-in WiFi hotspot so it will connect to that every time I start the car :) Like you, I could care less if I kill the battery by having it always plugged in as that is all this device will ever be for...JBV1 interface.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Why activate an Android and have an extra bill if one has an iPhone with an all you can eat plan already?

I leave my Note 8 in the truck full time. When I get in in the morning, I turn it on, plug my iPhone into the head unit Apple CarPlay cable and start my truck. I have Auto Start setup on JBV1 so everything see each other and auto connects and auto starts up. So the V1G2 connects automatically to the BT in the Note 8, the Note 8 auto connects to get its Internet connection from the iPhone HotSpot, and of course the iPhone is already connected to the Cellular Network.

Specifically for the OP, is the Android trying to update the phones OS or update firmware or network connections. Be very specific about what it is asking you to do. My Note 8 used to be on the Comcast Network so whenever a network update is available and my note is tethered to the iPhone, I get a popup that it wants to update network setting and software, I just ignore them.

@SwapFile Would you mind starting a new thread in the JBV1 section with a tutorial or outline how to wipe a phone and replace it with Lineage? Some of us might be able to use that.

Saunders17283

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Would you mind starting a new thread in the JBV1 section with a tutorial or outline how to wipe a phone and replace it with Lineage? Some of us might be able to use that.

I'll second that! This Lineage you speak of sounds like it might help with my issue.
Post automatically merged:

Specifically for the OP, is the Android trying to update the phones OS or update firmware or network connections. Be very specific about what it is asking you to do. My Note 8 used to be on the Comcast Network so whenever a network update is available and my note is tethered to the iPhone, I get a popup that it wants to update network setting and software, I just ignore them.

See screenshot attached. These are the two recurring messages I keep getting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200922-102522_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20200922-102522_One UI Home.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

AJinNJ

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
IDK if it'll work, because these are a little "special", but if you click on the "Notification Settings" there at the bottom of the drop-down, you MAY be able to tell Android that you do not want to see notifications from those "apps". It works for most apps, but these may be tied to the provider's tweaks in the ROM. But worth a shot, could be an easy fix.

You can also go into settings and disable notifications from any/all apps in there. Recent versions of Android will actually provide a separate/easy list of "Apps that recently notified you" so you can figure out which the annoying ones are.

@Saunders17283 if you're pretty good technically, switching a ROM is fun. But messing-up the process can brick the phone and some custom ROMs don't work as well as others (you could lose GPS or something crazy that they forgot to test). I used to do it a bunch, but haven't found the need on my recent phones. Just beware that the risks could outweigh the reward.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks @R4D4RUS3R but my vehicle has a built-in WiFi hotspot so it will connect to that every time I start the car :) Like you, I could care less if I kill the battery by having it always plugged in as that is all this device will ever be for...JBV1 interface.
Now thats a good use case. I have a portable hotspot but it was just another item to keep charged and to have a line on.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@SwapFile Would you mind starting a new thread in the JBV1 section with a tutorial or outline how to wipe a phone and replace it with Lineage? Some of us might be able to use that.

Here you go:

I initially made the post here in the JBV1 forum, but it looks like the thread wasn't specific enough to JBV1 and got moved.

Saunders17283

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Here you go:

I initially made the post here in the JBV1 forum, but it looks like the thread wasn't specific enough to JBV1 and got moved.
@SwapFile,

Since you have experience with Boot ROMS and I have absolutely ZERO, I was wondering if you could take a peak at this guide and let me know if you think it will a) work and b) not brick my phone.

My phone is a Samsung a10e and is a Boost Mobile prepaid that I do NOT want to activate with Boost mobile as I don't need the data subscription.

https://gearallnews.com/how-to-install-lineage-os-17-gsi-for-samsung-galaxy-a10e-android-10

Saunders17283

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
For any who come across this thread in the future, I wanted to provide an update to my situation.

I was all set to follow the guide in the link above and then I read a line that stated, "Also, see if you are green for the seamless system update otherwise you cannot proceed to install this ROM."

According to the Project Treble app, my a10e was not "green" for seamless system updates.

Therefore, I decided to just proceed with Boost Mobile long enough to get the device activated. My plan was to get it activated, updated, etc...then just cancel the plan and proceed to use the WiFi hotspot my car provides.

I started the process online but didn't like the monthly recurring billing options it provided so I decided to call into customer service. I called 866-402-7366 and went through the automated system selecting options to activate a new phone number.

Once I got to the prompt to select a plan, I chose the option for $10 for 1GB data and 50 minutes of talk. I figured I would choose this, get the phone activated and updated and then just cancel the service.

To my surprise, Boost fully activated the device and assigned it a phone number without me providing any payment information.

In summary, my dedicated JBV1 Samsung a10e now stops pestering me with profile & firmware updates.

spanky

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I picked up a new Samsung Gax A11 cl ph , set up JBv1 for stand alone ops and have been fine tuning it for the past 2 weeks, Love it, there seems to be quite a lot of tuning possible. Some of it is trial/error just to see if I like the option offered and want to use it. All good sofar.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bilo