IO question

Sctrbm46

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Still getting used to the R7 after years with the OG MAX... I put this question in the general section, as it could apply to any unit, not just the R7..

If a KA band IO radar unit is in "standby" mode, is there enough local oscillator (or driver stage) leakage to trigger an alert a close range? I met a LEO coming towards me, in traffic (both directions) and at about 50 yards the R7 with no ramp up gave me an alert for KA (that's what our SO runs in my county). Silent once past me (no side or back arrow at all). In three weeks of running the R7, I have yet to have an actual KA warning followed by a visual siting of a LEO. Running mostly Highway mode with Vortex's recommended settings.

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
No. You'll only be able to detect the radar gun when it's actively transmitting.

Boozehound

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There is no local oscillator as in a superhet receiver like your radar detector. A police radar unit has a mixer diode (to receive) in the cavity along with the gunn diode that generates the radar beam. It is either on or off. You won't pick up a thing if it's off.

Sctrbm46

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well, I guess that shoots that theory down, I guess the deputy just had an itchy trigger finger. I was just puzzled why with groups all moving at the same speed in both directions he'd trigger the IO ... I did get a valid KA hit this morning on a secondary road, at least a mile and a half, with good forward , side and back arrows, nice ramp up..... it did instill more trust in the new R7. Thanks for the great information.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bilo