Highway Radar v2.4.1: Settings backup and share, better SABRE integration, and more

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce that I've published v2.4.1 to the beta channel. I'm planning to keep this update in beta mode for a couple of days while observing stability and tuning the performance; later, I'll make it public. To become a beta tester, you need to enroll in Play Market on the app's page.

As WzSabre got released (@schuster, huge thanks again for this!), I had a chance to test it in real life, on a road trip. Based on this, I've added some tuning to how Highway Radar handles the SABRE protocol.

Also, probably, the most significant change of the new version is settings backup and share. The backups are stored on my server, so there is no need to worry about storage. Once you create a backup, you'll receive two keys corresponding to it (each key is three English words). The first one (the primary key) can be used to associate your backup with another device. It also allows updating your backup. The seconds one (sharing key), as the name suggests, allows sharing your backup with other people. With a sharing key, one can't modify the backup – only read it. You can create as many backups as you want and switch between them if needed.

BTW, if anyone is interested, here is the sharing key of my settings: "negligee unheated grading".

Here is the full list of changes in this version:
  • New map labels design. Thanks, @RadarNodar, for the design proposal!
  • Updated current location icon
  • Settings backup and sharing
  • Improved UI and performance of the reporting dialog
  • Added red background for police alerts in arrows mode
  • Alerts confirmation prompt stays 20 seconds after you pass it
  • Confirmation buttons are bigger now
  • Added an option to retry voice command
  • Bug fixes:
    • Fixed instant crash on Android 4.4 and 5.0
    • Fixed broken layout in the report dialog

This is a beta release, so please expect some bugs or issues may happen. Please report them here or using the bug report feature (triple tap on the speed or "Submit bug report" using the voice control).

Have fun! And special thanks to those 138 people switched to the beta update channel!

Screenshot_1600591437.png
Screenshot_1600591574.png
Screenshot_1600592286.png

Screenshot_1600591592.png
Screenshot_1600591604.png
Screenshot_1600592108.png

Last edited:

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The new update is better tweeked. Honestly, the Sabre install went well for me but the testing was OK. A few colors and font colors needed changed. The spit screen was too jumbled/crammed together to not know what to press and read. To confirm and not there on the top screen is too small and difficult to read. I have to test this and hope it will be easier to confirm and press it quicker. I still use my split screen with HR on top and \/\/aze on the bottom. My HR is my extended watch out and locator but my map/direction source is \/\/aze. I hope in time HR can be used as a map/ direction source so we don't need to use 2 screens. Google maps now use those marking buttons like \/\/aze. Though I have not used them. I want to strictly use HW for marking things and shy away from the \/\/aze markers. I'm alway looking forward to the updates and improvements to aid for our extra countermeasures! Thanks for the awesome work as always! You guys Rock!

By the way, is there a way you can boost up the text to speech volume to its max. Android phone volumes suck even on high.

Last edited:

jestric

Change my mind
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
The new update is better tweeked. Honestly, the Sabre install went well for me but the testing was OK. A few colors and font colors needed changed. The spit screen was too jumbled/crammed together to not know what to press and read. To confirm and not there on the top screen is too small and difficult to read. I have to test this and hope it will be easier to confirm and press it quicker. I still use my split screen with HR on top and \/\/aze on the bottom. My HR is my extended watch out and locator but my map/direction source is \/\/aze. I hope in time HR can be used as a map/ direction source so we don't need to use 2 screens. Google maps now use those marking buttons like \/\/aze. Though I have not used them. I want to strictly use HW for marking things and shy away from the \/\/aze markers. I'm alway looking forward to the updates and improvements to aid for our extra countermeasures! Thanks for the awesome work as always! You guys Rock!

By the way, is there a way you can boost up the text to speech volume to its max. Android phone volumes suck even on high.

Could it be that all of the Android owners will end up purchasing an iPhone to better use Waze without running a split screen? :hmm:

It would almost be like those of us who are iPhone users purchased an Android phone to use HwR. ;) :)

Last edited:

Bloovy One

138,000+ miles with JBV1!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
To be fair, I really do enjoy using Android Auto for Waze on my car's screen which allows my phone to do JBV1 and other stuff as I choose. It's not as enjoyable for me all on one screen. :)

jestric

Change my mind
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
@ferius, Complete Android newbie question; how exactly do you enroll in Play Market on the app's page to become a beta tester? :hmm:

I don't see anything on either the Play Store or the HwR webpage. Most likely a PEBCAK issue. :cool:

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score

RadarNodar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Wow I LOVE the look of the new labels! Thanks so much for implementing this.

:bravo:

I can now easily locate police locations in just a second of looking at the map.

Could we please have an option for similar alert bubbles for speed cameras? Police and speed cameras are really all I need to know about for the most part...

This combined with speed/type of road dependent zoom option would be perfection for me.

This way on smaller city surface streets the map is zoomed in to show the next few blocks and while on the highway at highway speed we can see a more zoomed out view showing the next several miles ahead and the zooming happens automatically.
Post automatically merged:

@ferius , I was wondering if you would consider implementing a small tweak.

On the screen capture you posted, I see that police is ahead at 800 feet. I am pretty math and numbers oriented but honestly I have a hard time envisioning how far away 800 feet really is. Also how quickly I get to the marked spot is also dependent on your current speed.

Would it be possible to countdown to the next upcoming threat in minutes and seconds based on the current speed?

For example, knowing the police is 47 seconds ahead is so much more relatable and useful to me personally than the concept of "800 feet." Also as you approach the spot, it is great to see the countdown in seconds 20, 15, 5, etc.,

Last edited:

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Could we please have an option for similar alert bubbles for speed cameras? Police and speed cameras are really all I need to know about for the most part...

They are already there. Settings -> Cameras alerts -> Show labels for cameras not on the road or far away.

Would it be possible to countdown to the next upcoming threat in minutes and seconds based on the current speed?

This actually can be dangerous. In some cases your speed may be acquired 1/2 miles or even more away, not necessary once you're next to the officer. I can put this feature to my backlog, but no promises that it will be implemented soon. I have some much more important features in my list now.

jestric

Change my mind
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
@ferius, I just installed HwR (and the WzSabre plug-in) on my daughter's Android phone. It it still the pre-beta release. Maybe the Google Play Store is dragging their heels. 😉

Last edited:

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
@ferius, I just installed HwR (and the WzSabre plug-in) on my daughter's Android phone. It it still the pre-beta release. Maybe Google are dragging their heels. 😉

It takes several hours for the release to actually get promoted.

RadarNodar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Update: this release was promoted to public and now available to everyone.

I can't wait to see the colored alert bubbles :)

Is there anything I can do to "force update" the Android app? For some odd reason the Daze button is now missing on the main screen.

Were you able to roll in the ability to lock the map so it is north up? I always read maps only north up so I find it disorienting to keep an eye on things and track alerts when the map rotates...
Post automatically merged:

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to "force update" the Android app? For some odd reason the Daze button is now missing on the main screen.

As I remember there are couple ways. You can google them.

Were you able to roll in the ability to lock the map so it is north up? I always read maps only north up so I find it disorienting to keep an eye on things and track alerts when the map rotates...

This means there are no SABRE plugin capable of sending reports installed. You might need to install one.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugolau1