New R7 worked a treat...

CelicaNZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just got back from 3 days away to Tekapo and Mt Cook via the inland scenic route. The R7 worked a charm with 7-8 patrol cars identified in plenty of time. Picked one up near Lake Pukaki at what seemed like a ridiculous distance away.
Thank you all for your input and steering me to the R7.
Special thank you to Mithheru for amazing service - he got my unit shipped on the weekend so that it was ready for my trip despite the tight timeframe - much appreciated.
Very satisfied with my investment.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
R7 is great! Be careful of I/O (Instant on). Was travelling to Castle hill the other day and a copper shot me with I/O close range, turned around (not sure why as I had my cruise set to 100 using the R7 GPS), and followed me for about 10 minutes before stopping.

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I got hit with I/O Saturday morning in the Wairarapa, no chance to react, was 12 over. was fortunate, the officer just waved me to slow down <!phew>

Koza

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So the R7 do not catch I/O ?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It sure did, but I/O is a bit like laser, if you're the car in front and being targeted, you're pretty much busted.

Here is the video. Warning! The sound is really bad. At ~10s into the video you hear the R7 go off, and about 10s later you see the cop.

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It did once he turned it on :) I seemed to be his first customer I guess, twas very early in the morning with no rabbits in front of me to get pinged first.

Rolling into the town there is a 90 deg bend that speed drops from 100 to 70 to 50 in short succession, I normally just get off the gas and roll through but did not slow down fast enough (lol was almost in the 50 zone which would have sucked)

Quantum Tunneling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
R7 is great! Be careful of I/O (Instant on). Was travelling to Castle hill the other day and a copper shot me with I/O close range, turned around (not sure why as I had my cruise set to 100 using the R7 GPS), and followed me for about 10 minutes before stopping.

Probably checking you in the database for other things, WOF, REGO and the like :D.
Post automatically merged:

I'm relatively new to this too and have been REALLY impressed with my DFR7....I mostly drive on the open motorway admittedly where detection ranges are good...but holy heck..I wasn't expecting anything to detect at the ranges it does....I'm talking multi kilometers in many cases on Ka ...often to the point where I start to wonder if I passed them on the other side or something....

I know the R7 is a step up again in detection range so it must be absolutely immense.

Last edited:

venom690

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
usually if i am the only one on the high way i slow down when around trees , hills ...

CMs are like condoms,. they are not fail proof but sure as hell beats not using anything at all. even with waze, LJ and top end radar detector you still have chances to get tickets, they just reduce the chances where the risk manageable.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Came across my first redflex van a few days ago with the R7

I know where that is! Can you confirm that was a dark blue Hyundai van, I cannot quite make it out on the video. Any idea what the detection frequency was / what K Limits you were using? Also was that on the Horizontal or vertical mount on your R7?

Reactions: DAF

DAF

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It was a dark blue Hyundai van I believe
The K Limit was 23.90 -24.06 and the detector was on its standard Horizontal mount, I run it as high as I can

Quantum Tunneling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
That rear view shot is awesome It shows how directional and low power the redflex radar is.

The whole idea of a direction low power system is interesting to me...in concept. Presumably it's trying to defeat radar detectors...or is this just a side effect of being a portable/low power radar system, reduced bulk etc?

Why try and target detector uses specifically when 99.5% of drivers out there won't be running detectors?

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
CONGRATS MY FRIEND 😎😎
... on your "ESCAPE" :slick:

I believe he has to "track" you for a short distance.

Obviously he wanted to wait for you to speed up !!

.... benzr's Note : SO HE COULD bribe you for some of that Amazingly DELICIOUS NEW ZEALAND Chocolate Bars you always have on you !!

😉😉☺️☺️

Benzr

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
No, our cops like food scraps as bribes.

larrynz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The whole idea of a direction low power system is interesting to me...in concept. Presumably it's trying to defeat radar detectors...or is this just a side effect of being a portable/low power radar system, reduced bulk etc?

Why try and target detector uses specifically when 99.5% of drivers out there won't be running detectors?

I'll be honest, I think it's genius.

Zakk

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

One way to look at what local Redflex has achieved... they have already optimised low power speed detection to probably the maximum limits of that tech, leaving little additional to tweak. It isn't easy to learn how to beat it but the 0.5% in NZ now know we can beat it in most situations. The chances are now the overseas manufacturers have very little left to tweak and they really won't be interested in NZ targetted extreme optimisation at high cost to do, so I think there's a 80-90% chance they will simply push the same reasonably effective solution to the rest of the world for the next 5-10 years :) enjoy our efforts team!!

Last edited:

Quantum Tunneling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
One way to look at what local Redflex has achieved... they have already optimised low power speed detection to probably the maximum limits of that tech, leaving little additional to tweak. It isn't easy to learn how to beat it but the 0.5% in NZ now know we can beat it in most situations. The chances are now the overseas manufacturers have very little left to tweak and they really won't be interested in NZ targetted extreme optimisation at high cost to do, so I think there's a 80-90% chance they will simply push the same reasonably effective solution to the rest of the world for the next 5-10 years :) enjoy our efforts team!!

Interesting points...but I'm still unsure what "problem" they were actually solving with a system like redflex....
My brain is telling me that defeating radar detectors cannot be the reason that the system exists in the form that it does, given the small number of radar detector users.

From the redflex marketing material, i'm getting the impression the reason it exists at all is more about the portability, ease of setup and importantly the ability to pick out a SINGLE vehicle in multi lane traffic.

The more I think about it, I'm coming to the conclusion that defeating detectors is just an unfortunate side effect of the system, or maybe even at most low priority feature of the design.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StuPidaso