Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I had a long range, but very odd encounter yesterday with the V1 Gen2. I picked up an officer shooting IO several miles up the road, but the V1 never ramped up beyond 1-2 bars. I figured maybe he was shooting the other direction, but if he was, there's no way I could have gotten the range that I got. Even when I could physically see the officer, the V1 never ramped up beyond 2 bars.

My only potential guess is that he was shooting rear antenna initially (towards me) which is why I got a multi-mile detection, then as I got closer, he started shooting his front antenna (away from me). That wouldn't make sense though given that the median would prevent him from being able to turn around and give chase to vehicles driving the other direction. JBV1 logged the freq's as 34.717, 34.718, and 34.719 which is pretty stable. I'd expect more of a change if he was running two antennas.

I know there's been complaints about IO shots not ramping up with the V1 Gen2, but this one is really strange.

I also had several other encounters last night and the V1 ramped up full tilt as expected with those. This was just an oddball.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I dont think I have seen full tilt for I/O yet. Maybe once on K but not on Ka. The only full tilt I see is close range C/O. Thats just me. My R7 on the other hand will go full on each I/O blast so long as I am relatively close.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's how my V1G2 reacts to far off forward facing shots. If I had to guess, I'd say that's what it was. Sometimes we just get an off the wall alert that's hard to explain! These V1G2's are incredible at forward facing / off axis as you well know!

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is it possible that truck was not the source of the Ka? With the rear antenna blocked in a moving truck is it possible there was a LEO behind you shooting IO moving?

That's certainly a possibility. Rear detection (and arrows) took a hit with the big truck behind me. All the alerts stopped once I passed the LEO, but perhaps that was coincidental?

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Seems odd to me, as you noted you get a very long early alert but it didnt seem to change until right near the source, terrain looks flat with no obstructions.

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's how my V1G2 reacts to far off forward facing shots. If I had to guess, I'd say that's what it was. Sometimes we just get an off the wall alert that's hard to explain! These V1G2's are incredible at forward facing / off axis as you well know!
that's what I was thinking, maybe FF reflections ? Possible I guess

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Vortex My take -
isn’t there a short latch time on the V1? In my experiences, the V1 will generally stay at 1 bar way out until you get closer near line of sight. You don’t get to line of sight until about 42-43 seconds into the video, and if the cop turned the radar off about the time you crest the hill coming into line of sight and there is a short latch time where it still beeps, you would probably experience what you have here. Of course I am speculating and have no idea. Do you have a log on your app that estimates the alert range on this ? Seems like a good long detection maybe 2+ miles.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I had something very similar happen to me a while back and it was from a patrol car that was in front of me shooting rolling IO with his front antenna while driving the same direction as I was. In my case, he finally swung around in front of me and pointed in my direction in the median and I got a full face blast at that point. I was following him for 10 or 15 miles.

My guess is he was traveling same direction as you and just pulled into the median to run stationary enforcement.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@VortexDo you have a log on your app that estimates the alert range on this ? Seems like a good long detection maybe 2+ miles.

I looked back through the footage and, using the mile markers on the road as points of reference, it's about 4.9 miles from the initial detection to the officer.

I had something very similar happen to me a while back and it was from a patrol car that was in front of me shooting rolling IO with his front antenna while driving the same direction as I was. In my case, he finally swung around in front of me and pointed in my direction in the median and I got a full face blast at that point. I was following him for 10 or 15 miles.

My guess is he was traveling same direction as you and just pulled into the median to run stationary enforcement.

Ah that's definitely a possibility too. Great point.

DrHow

Going “Plaid” (Tesla S). RDT refugee
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I agree I have seen insane front facing 35.5 radar bouncing off bridges, trucks, signs. Where the G2 hands out distance like @Vortex video in same rolling terrain. Too bad he did not hit the radar while Vortex was going away from him for mile or more. Would have seen long alert, even going over the top of the rise. IMO.

Also very possible truck was rolling, and pulled over in his fav spot and continued I/O work.

Before we did not worry about QT, ramps ups, something like this video would have been lauded on how gr8 the RD was.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ugh, your one of the moving trucks that hogs the left lane that I'm forced to pass on the right

Not when I drive. :) (It bugged me too so I had to have a conversation with my neighbor about that, heh.)

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I looked back through the footage and, using the mile markers on the road as points of reference, it's about 4.9 miles from the initial detection to the officer.

Ah that's definitely a possibility too. Great point.
Looking at the video as you approach I stopped it and you can see what looks like two objects in the truck bed, are they radar or license plate readers. The V1 will pick up that signal miles away as Ka, they go on & off as cars go by but it's hard to tell.

user

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I had two incidents on a recent 2200 mile trip. The first was on a straight flat stretch of highway at the Oregon-Nevada border. Unmarked car coming toward me, but a little less than 1/2 mile away. Comes on V1G2 at full bars. No warning at all. Maybe I/O, but the highway was flat and he had to have turned it on sometime earlier for a car. Not a blip from the V1G2 until full bars. Then, on a Nevada Highway, in south bound lanes, divided highway. A northbound marked NHP suddenly pops up at full bars. Not a blip before that. A lot of traffic on the road but again a long straight stretch of highway for miles. Again, could have been I/O but I should have gotten some little blips earlier as he turned it off and on for other cars. Absolutely nothing again until full bars. It sure could of been coincidence and two I/O’s, but it didn’t feel right. Am going to check all my settings and try again. Also had an awful lot of laser falses.

aim4squirrels

Coming soon.....
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looking at the video as you approach I stopped it and you can see what looks like two objects in the truck bed, are they radar or license plate readers. The V1 will pick up that signal miles away as Ka, they go on & off as cars go by but it's hard to tell.
Too much traffic on the road for that. There would be a lot more alerts.

Does the V1 have Ka filtering akin to it's k filtering? We know the k filter does that weird initial low alert to I/O, but perhaps the Ka filter is doing something similar?

Every one of those alerts seemed brief, and they all completely cleared from the detector before the next alert... I wonder if it was super selective short I/O?

@Vortex , I think you need a friend to park way down the road with a Ka gun in a vehicle with you on the cell phone calling your shots to see if this is the case, then possibly reenacting @OBeerWANKenobi 's same direction of travel scenario to know if this is it's normal operating function.

It's odd behavior for sure. It isn't a behavior I would be particularly comfortable with, so it would be good to bring it to the membership's attention, if it's a repeatable behavior.

Last edited:

aim4squirrels

Coming soon.....
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
True, but that was a hell of a long video. There are seconds to spare between those encounters.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thunderroadster369