DFR7 vs R7 Falses

Redmed

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've been using DFR7 for the last couple years and have been thinking of upgrading to a R7 for the arrows. I have read that the R7 has extra range but a lot of falsing comes with the extra range. I find the DFR7 surprisingly quiet and wonder how much more false hits I would get with the R7. I know I could turn down the sensitivity on the R7, but if I did turn down the sensitivity to DFR7 levels would the R7 be as quiet as the DFR7?

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
A bit over a year ago when I made the jump from my DFR6 to my R3, I was worried about this exact same dilemma. I actually find the R3 to be a bit quieter than the DFR6/7. I'm not sure about the R7, but the R3 seems to have no issues with the dreaded Mazda falses. The DFR6, on the other hand, pointed out every CX-5 within a half mile radius.

You do have some issues with certain cars. Jeep Cherokee and Chrysler Pacifica are pretty brutal. The only other ones I see are the occasional Honda/Acura that doesn't fall within K Block and some GMs like the Escalade and SRX. Honestly, most BSMs are much easier to immediately pick out by ramp up (or lack thereof) and frequency than they are on the DFR series.

Others will point out that the V1G2 and R360c are apparently noticeably more quiet than the R7, although unfortunately at the trade off of neutered reactivity. If uber quiet is important to you, it may be worth looking at either of them over the R7. But set up the right way, I don't think the R7 will be chattier than your DFR7, and it may even be quieter honestly.

@ARkaband may want to chime in as well

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I use the R7 and it seems that the benefits over the DFR7 are range, arrows, additional configurability, and, soon, auto-lockouts.

goodtimes40

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've been using DFR7 for the last couple years and have been thinking of upgrading to a R7 for the arrows. I have read that the R7 has extra range but a lot of falsing comes with the extra range. I find the DFR7 surprisingly quiet and wonder how much more false hits I would get with the R7. I know I could turn down the sensitivity on the R7, but if I did turn down the sensitivity to DFR7 levels would the R7 be as quiet as the DFR7?
Lots of false thing does come with the R7 but that's why they give you so many menu options to fine-tune it to your area. I thought the same thing at first it took me about four days to dial it in and it's been three weeks since I've had my R7 and I sold my R3 and let me tell you 35.5 k + 33.8 k a r tremendously more effective than the R1 or R3 and with auto lockouts coming any day the R7 has the choice if you can find one on sale like me and my R7 is just as quiet as my R3 was one side marked the normal positions. But the range blows away the R1 and R3

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
if I did turn down the sensitivity to DFR7 levels would the R7 be as quiet as the DFR7
Not sure if anyone has tested that. But the R7 is generally regarded as more sophisticated than the DFR7 in its filtering. So intuitively I'd say yes, it would be as quiet or quieter for a given sensitivity level. Theory doesn't always equal practice, but I'd be really surprised if a happy DFR7 user couldn't find R7 settings that they were happy with.

NoogMan

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just got the R7 a week ago after years of using a passport Max (wife started using it), so I grabbed an R7. I am blown away at the KA distance compared to the Passport, BUT why does the R7 false a ton on BSM with a lot of vehicles....not just the latest vehicle models, but many older models? The max has always been very quiet around all but a few vehicles. I'm sure the R7 is just a LOT more powerful at picking up K band, but I thought the firmware updates would have included ways to filter out lots of these older vehicles with BSM.

I'm running advanced mode and have tried Vortex recommended settings and his own personal to see if it would quiet it down a bit. Just curious to know if others have seen the same...

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garlandbob