So Few People Run Detectors These Days....

cihkal

♟️ WWG1WGA ⛈️
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sadly, a lot of people went to sleep. It's our job to educate!

Knowledge is power!!! 🇺🇲

It seems that certain product releases have shown that interest is there, maybe for one particular group over another. Who knows, hard to say!

Exciting times 😀

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
Sadly, a lot of people went to sleep. It's our job to educate!

Knowledge is power!!! 🇺🇲

It seems that certain product releases have shown that interest is there, maybe for one particular group over another. Who knows, hard to say!

Exciting times 😀
Or let them be rabbits. No reason to educate the masses. But as for the decline of RD's, part of that has to do with advances in technology. Lidar has become more common along with automated fixed speed cameras. Then there's Waze, for the most part you could get by without an RD using it. Of course it's not perfect but it does work quite well.

Ohioluck

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple people running RDs in the last 3 days. I’d say there’s a pretty good amount of people using them in my area compared to what people are saying here.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Usually when I see RDs in other's cars it's cheapo ones, pointing to the sky.

sbx7

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Driving around I don't see many radar detectors, however I am seeing a lot of face diapers hanging from the rear-view mirrors.

Token

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
All depends where you live. Waze is amazing if you have the drivers/user base to support/report sightings. Where I live the only reason to run Waze is if you are a tourist of if you are trying to avoid the tourist traffic. Once the season dies down the map is a ghost town of wazers....with no reports.

I DLed Waze last year for the first time. And I really want to use it. But locally it is just not worth it. I just now fired up Waze for the first time in probably 8 or 9 months. I expanded out the scale to show me the entire valley here, say 20 miles on a side. There is one point on the map, a car on the side of the road 15 miles away. Nothing else is showing.

But, on the scanner I can hear the local police running an "enhanced enforcement" on the main drag of town, 7 miles away. Sounds like they have 4 units working it, one lasing traffic and the others pulling over whoever he calls out on the radio.

And, since locally Waze is such a waste, I really never get in the habit of using it, so even if I am in areas where it might be much more useful I just don't bother.

T!

Disco47

Roll Tide
Beginner User
Reaction score
Locally the only place where Waze is useful is the interstate. The locals use Is C/O and arent a threat to me. The Troopers are absolutely deadly with I/O Ka. It's like facing Doc Holiday.

WalterTheRadarWizard9999

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
From 2015-2019 all I used was Waze and no RD and guess what - not a single speeding ticket.

I got back into the hobby out of boredom not necessity.
See waze really works when everyone or most people on the road uses it as a team.. I usually get 70%waze saves and 30% radar saves
Post automatically merged:

See waze really works when everyone or most people on the road uses it as a team.. I usually get 70%waze saves and 30% radar saves
I live in Hampton roads Va in this area people actually use waze

Last edited:

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Since joining this forum and getting a little more serious about this hobby (er...affliction :)), I now check out other cars all the time looking for radar or laser. I haven't seen it, but then again, you would really have to look hard to see my R7 mounted high and tight. I laugh because I am not the fastest driver in the world, but I do like the additional situational awareness of multiple CMs and I love gadgets. Also something about evening up the odds a bit with the revenue collecting bastards... I also love the people on this forum. Very entertaining posts and a ton of serious knowledge on here.

Last edited:

LinuxD

Prepare for warp speed.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
With my R3 in town I don't even bother using \/\/ aze... no point in it, Interstates,,, you betcha.. Here in my neck of the woods if I catch radar it's a NC Trooper in town.. locals in town... never a whiff, on the interstates is where they hang out at...

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
So I posted a question on the Audi FB group for Tampa, Florida, "Do you run any speed tracking countermeasures in your car? Which countermeasures do you find to be the most reliable (active and passive)? If you don't, why not?" The response was disappointing but it seems, not unexpected. The group has 853 members, the post generated 5 reactions and 16 comments (not all from different people). The number of comments was about average for a post but the reactions were a lot lower than average. There were comments from V1, R7 and RL 360c users but no one commented that they didn't use CM or why. What the post told me is that there's not much interest in discussing CM. In a conversation with the group admin, he pretty much confirmed that while some members are very passionate about their cars, most don't dig deeper into the details about modifications, including CM. If they buy a detector its because they saw it at Best Buy but they know nothing about it beyond what's printed in the quick start guide.
Post automatically merged:

So I posted a question on the Audi FB group for Tampa, Florida, "Do you run any speed tracking countermeasures in your car? Which countermeasures do you find to be the most reliable (active and passive)? If you don't, why not?" The response was disappointing but it seems, not unexpected. The group has 853 members, the post generated 5 reactions and 16 comments (not all from different people). The number of comments was about average for a post but the reactions were a lot lower than average. There were comments from V1, R7 and RL 360c users but no one commented that they didn't use CM or why. What the post told me is that there's not much interest in discussing CM. In a conversation with the group admin, he pretty much confirmed that while some members are very passionate about their cars, most don't dig deeper into the details about modifications, including CM. If they buy a detector its because they saw it at Best Buy but they know nothing about it beyond what's printed in the quick start guide.

BTW, In a Car & Driver poll following the June 9th article announcing the RL 360c, 56% of respondents said they always depend on a radar detector when driving. 44% of respondents checked the box for "what is a radar detector"! o.0

Last edited:

Irishmist

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
From 2015-2019 all I used was Waze and no RD and guess what - not a single speeding ticket.

I got back into the hobby out of boredom not necessity.

agree - similar here - RD unlikely to save me most of time as all I see where I am in CNJ is Ka and mostly off highway, and it's I/O... even if the LEO is parked it's I/O... but mostly they're driving around 30 to 45 mph zones... so I know they've ramped up checking speed in the last few weeks - way more than before Covid - maybe to make up the revenue they lost over prior 6 months... my points go down end of this month and I'm keeping it that way... BUT waze alone would not save me these days - mobile LEO using I/O means waze users don't post it cause they don't know.

Last edited:

Radarvader

Noticketmaster
General User
Reaction score
Every once in a while I might see a radar inside a vehicle At a red light, almost the same time I see a ride back in the 60’s, it’s that rare in SC. I had a V1 back when I purchased one back in 99. Money well spent when your single hanging out in the night life being a crazy young buck with a muscle hot rod. Man that V1 saved me so many times back in the day, you never forget some of those close encounters with Leo. Only just a few years ago, the old V1 started having issues with the blind spot monitoring systems, just gave up. Some people never gave rd a second chance after those happened. Either most people just lost interest or thought it’s just a wast of money to upgrade or settled down like me. I’m probably one of the few out there that missed the V1 so much that it was time to throw out the money and pick another one up for the hell of it and take a chance, why not? Yes, I’m an old buck pushing 50 now.

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
According to the Florida DMV (2015), nearly 5 million traffic citations are issued each year, it seems like RD marketing companies are dropping the ball!

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I wonder what the sweet spot of drivers running CMs is from a detector user's standpoint.

Too few users and there's not enough money/interest to sustain the industry and a decent level of innovation.

Too many users and you start an arms race, forcing the police to adopt more sophisticated tactics. We'd probably prefer them to sit lazily by the roadside running constant-on radar and harvesting the unwary.

Or, you know, we could do away with the mentality of police WANTING to catch people speeding as a source of revenue and only going after people who are truly driving like dangerous fools. But I'm not holding my breath...

if6ws9

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I wonder what the sweet spot of drivers running CMs is from a detector user's standpoint.

Too few users and there's not enough money/interest to sustain the industry and a decent level of innovation.

Too many users and you start an arms race, forcing the police to adopt more sophisticated tactics. We'd probably prefer them to sit lazily by the roadside running constant-on radar and harvesting the unwary.

Or, you know, we could do away with the mentality of police WANTING to catch people speeding as a source of revenue and only going after people who are truly driving like dangerous fools. But I'm not holding my breath...
In Florida almost 5 million traffic citations are issued each year and while not all of them are speeding tickets I'd bet a good number of them are. It seems like the marketing departments of radar detector manufacturers are not taking full advantage of that statistic. A lot of people think radar detectors don't work or those who've used them in the past put them away because of too many false alerts and they haven't taken in interest in modern countermeasures.

I'd be happy if the police would enforce the State Uniform Traffic Control Florida Statute 316.081
"Slower traffic keep right and all traffic yield left lane to traffic approaching from behind"
"A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318". Maybe they would enforce that law if there were fines involved!

GregTec5

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I don't see too many either. I never run with my DSR in C/O, but have came across two vehicles speeding big time. It is quite obvious just visually estimating the speed and then checking it with radar. PSL was 55 in both photos.

Neither of them slowed down at all..
View attachment 159679 View attachment 159680

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
When you run radar with your detector do you just deal with it going off? Also is it true that running both close to each other can cause damage to the detector?

rider9195

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
When you run radar with your detector do you just deal with it going off? Also is it true that running both close to each other can cause damage to the detector?
I turn it off. It definitely can and will over drive the detector and I imagine it isn't great for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j0hnStam0s