Its the year 2020 Yet there's no perfect Radar Detector - Why not?

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yep, we are a strange species. Doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over. Look at us now.

LinuxD

Prepare for warp speed.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The world of radar detection and even radio monitoring is peculiar... want longer range, make the RD more sensitive, get inundated with all kinds of other crap... same with radios, want to hear a weak signal, kick on the receive pre-amp and boost the incoming signal and you can hear the static better along with your desired signal. There are trade offs to everything.
There is no "perfect" anything.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The world of radar detection and even radio monitoring is peculiar... want longer range, make the RD more sensitive, get inundated with all kinds of other crap... same with radios, want to hear a weak signal, kick on the receive pre-amp and boost the incoming signal and you can hear the static better along with your desired signal. There are trade offs to everything.
There is no "perfect" anything.
The only system I know of that is perfect is a resistive electric heater, which is 100% efficient. Although you could argue that that's not even "perfect" because you can get a COP of > 1 with a heat pump. Then the question becomes how much heat you can move from your cold reservoir to hot reservoir while using as little work as possible. And as it turns out, you can't actually get to that maximum theoretical efficiency in a real system.

LinuxD

Prepare for warp speed.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The only system I know of that is perfect is a resistive electric heater, which is 100% efficient. Although you could argue that that's not even "perfect" because you can get a COP of > 1 with a heat pump. Then the question becomes how much heat you can move from your cold reservoir to hot reservoir while using as little work as possible. And as it turns out, you can't actually get to that maximum theoretical efficiency in a real system.
Inherent losses in the electron flow in the conductors due to resistance makes anything electrical not perfectly efficient for the amount of electricity used. there is no perfect anything. Everything is imperfect to some degree. A perpetual motion machine would be 100 percent efficient and we know that ain't happening.

bluehemi

4 more years 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
there will always be people trying to stir shit up and cause a scene. im waiting along with everyone else for theia, im sure it'll be good as your guys reputation is riding on it.

spanky

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am a engineer and I will go on record as stating there isnt a perfect design now, never has been. We cont to reach/strive for this target now and always will

dgc333

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I too have been an engineer for the past 45 years. Every single engineering decision is a compromise, always has been and always will be. The single biggest driver of compromise is cost.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

wayne77

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, I am not an engineer but I did stay at a holiday inn last night and I can tell you there isn't a perfect anything, let alone radar detector. We do have some damn good options on the table right now though and of course they will continue to improve.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761